Diesel engine ID

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First one is a LD20-T.

You can see the words 'Turbo' cast into the top of the intake manifold.

NISSAN_LD20T_DIESEL.jpg

I would say after looking at some pics on google.... both are LD20's. Upper is just the turbo'd

1313042944_238120098_1-Nissan-ld20-Engine-with-Gearbox-Anna-Salai.jpg

Edited by metalmonkey47

The one in the Ebay ad Has intake hose coming up between the 2nd and 3rd runners and the second picture monkey posted doesn`t,, so maybe the same but different ( your first pic and Ebay ad ) like ^^ he just said

metalmonkeys second pic and your second pic looks the same

So the top one is a LD20T ll, and the bottom one is a LD20/LD20T.

So is the top one newer?

I almost bought one like the bottom one, and I am very happy it was "almost", as if I were to buy one, I would like it to be the top type, as it seems to be smaller, the bottom one looks like an L block.

What years were the LD20T ll manufactured?

They both can't be LD20. one of the motors has a timing belt. No L motor, gas or diesel ever had a timing belt.

Except the LD20T-II which has two. Assuming the second is for the injection pump.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?t=1086&sid=11f574d8594f327d302c68b6620462a4

Sorry for the threadjack here Wayno, but have you given any thought to using a OM616 Mercedes engine? 72hp, extremely common, extremely reliable, and the design is very similar to that of the L, since supposedly the L is based off the Mercedes design.

Sorry for the threadjack here Wayno, but have you given any thought to using a OM616 Mercedes engine? 72hp, extremely common, extremely reliable, and the design is very similar to that of the L, since supposedly the L is based off the Mercedes design.

I was just looking for something that I knew would fit, as someone else had already done it without hacking the firewall, and the LD20 is supposed to get really great mileage, like 40mpg.

The L block is a really tight fit in the 320, and since amerikilla has an L18 in his, and has no cooling fan or heater for the cab, that is not the route I want to take, although I likely could figure out the cab heat/defrost.

I have a A15 block/5 speed I was planning on going with originally, with every type of intake I have been able to find, I guess I will stick with that engine as I have done the conversion before.

DSCF0018.jpg

I would have to see this OM616 Mercedes engine and measure it, is that the 5 cylinder one?

I was just looking for something that I knew would fit, as someone else had already done it without hacking the firewall, and the LD20 is supposed to get really great mileage, like 40mpg.

The L block is a really tight fit in the 320, and since amerikilla has an L18 in his, and has no cooling fan or heater for the cab, that is not the route I want to take, although I likely could figure out the cab heat/defrost.

I have a A15 block/5 speed I was planning on going with originally, with every type of intake I have been able to find, I guess I will stick with that engine as I have done the conversion before.

I would have to see this OM616 Mercedes engine and measure it, is that the 5 cylinder one?

The OM616 is the 4 cyl version (hp varied 65-72, later years were better), the 5 cylinder is the OM617 which had a turbo on some models (~125hp). From memory the OM616 is about the same size as the L18 or maybe a hair larger but I don't have one handy to measure, I do have an OM617 so I can give an estimate. MPG on on the 240D (3300lb car) is in the 30s, but acceleration is poor, some people claim as high as 40 but I doubt it. The biggy on these is reliability and longevity, 300K miles on the original drive train under harsh conditions is common and over 500K is not even that uncommon.

However, I agree that the A15 with 5 speed will work better. What kind of MPG do you get on the 320 with that combo anyways?

They both can't be LD20. one of the motors has a timing belt. No L motor, gas or diesel ever had a timing belt.

Actually in the course of researching head gaskets for my LD20 (that's mine on the bottom in the original post) two sets of Nissan part numbers were coming up, one set for a belt driven LD20 and one set for a chain driven LD20.

I am assuming mine is chain driven so the other one could be a belt driven LD20

• 4 months later...