520 fuel filter

Paws

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this what you're looking for? If so, we still might have this. We used it for the drive down to Canby in 2010 and pulled it while there because it had shit in it and was making the truck run like shit.

If it's what you're looking for, I can try to root around for it tonight after work and see if I can figure out where it is.

IMG_3328.jpg

Thanks for all the responses, fellas. i do like the look of the original fuel bowls, but i think i'll go with the disposable for now. i need to do something in line or move the original mounts to the other side of the engine compartment. Dawa, so you're running two fuel filters? that kit looks like it would fit perfect with what i need to do, but is it not enough on it's own?

I have an old Ford 8N tractor that has a glass bowl fuel filter on the bottom of the gas tank. Picture later.

Maybe you could find a glass bowl filter in a tractor dealer?

Where in Portland are you? Metro Equipment Exchange, formerly Metro Tractor, 12111 SE highway 212, Clackamas, Or 97015.

Depending on what fittings are needed, you might find a bolt on glass bowl filter. I am not sure what thread standard the glass bowl fuel filter used. My experience is with 521 trucks, when working with the body, and hydraulic fittings, (brake and clutch) the threads are SAE. The engine is Metric, but the plumbing fittings on the engine, (oil pressure, intake manifold plugs, PCV valve, thermostat sensor) are British standard pipe.

the filter i pictured was designed to work on its own.

my situation was that i had a lot of rust in the tank (old truck PLUS it sat unran for 7 years.)

i dropped the tank for a diy derust and installed the pictured filter at the soft line under the truck (as a pre filter.) i ended up moving that filter to the engine bay to make things easier.

i could run just one or the other filtet, i guess im just being over cautious.

that filter is made of glass, and the cartridge is plastic (aka reuseable) so u can just hit it with some carb cleaner and reinstall.

• 1 month later...

so after some reading around the internets, particularly threads discussing burnt down vehicles

im trying to find all the posts where i mentioned that above glass fuel filter.

9706.jpg

apparently they are very well known to fail, and are inherently unsafe.

because:

1) theyre glass (glass breaks easily.) now, the glass is pretty thick, and if you set it up properly, you can

lessen the likelihood of that, but the probability is still there, although slim...

2) more importantly, the o-ring, connections/etc are known to fail. if you are running one or consider

running one, look on google first. that was enough to make me have a change of heart.

also, they are not accepted by the NHRA

again, this is specifically the above pictured fuel filter, and not the bowl types.

An effective, but non OEM fuel filter is to get a marine type fuel filter.  One type has a mount, like a remote oil filter, with a screw on can about the size of the size of a full sized oil filter.

I will get a picture later today.

Marine fuel filters are way safer than automotive fuel filters.  This is due to the fact that boats have a sealed bilge that can trap fuel vapors, and the fact you cannot just walk away from a burning boat.   Marine fuel filters also have a much higher capacity for holding dirt, and also have a provision for stopping water from reaching the engine, because a an engine stalling in a boat can leave you in a dangerous situation, that again, you cannot walk away from.

I would also suggest you do not install any aftermarket fuel filter on the pressure side of the fuel pump.

for the l16-l20 we are lucky that the 'stock' fuel filter location is on the opposite side of

the exhaust manifold, so if we go aftermarket i feel like we usually put it on that side.

i guess on a few american cars, they install the filter around/over the exh mani so

when a leak occurs, a fire occurs. boo.

marine fuel filters = safer. makes sense.

A marine fuel filter.

MarineFuelFilter.jpg

It comes apart.  You can also unscrew the white knob on the bottom of the green plastic part, and drain water.

FilterParts.jpg

This is what the top of the mount looks like.

FilterTop.jpg

In this picture, there is a stock 521 fuel filter.

JeffCarbs.jpg

If this fuel filter is full of dirt, or water, you can remove it, shake it, and hold it upside down, and by blowing air in the out port, on the top side of the filter, you can blow a lot of the crud out of the filter, and keep using it until you can get a new one.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.