Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project

Atomic

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh and also the engine bay is ready and so is the front. I have had a bad luck with cars, I don't have any working dailydriver for winter use... But I'm moving to the passenger side for some bodywork.

Also money problems in family, can't buy new parts like crazy, so I need to wait till I can effort to buy ECU

• 1 month later...

I was bored and I made a little 3D model for Ram air intake:

airintakemodel_by_atomicsickness-d8fqxb4

This way I would be able to remove some friction caused by cone-like shaped aircleaners, because my model will ram more air through the filter when driving. Only problem would be that the aircleaner would get really dirty... But there should be washable aircleaners from K&N. And maybe I should make a cover that would prevent extra mud or water to get trapped in the filter when weather is bad.

Edited by Atomic

I don't mean to be tht guy... But it doesn't quite work that way. the faster you go the more air your car needs and it's not going to build mani. Pressure any more than idling , it's actually going to decrease mani. Pressure driving faster. Thus that's where your turbo comes in. I hope you under stand that.

• Like 1

I don't mean to be tht guy... But it doesn't quite work that way. the faster you go the more air your car needs and it's not going to build mani. Pressure any more than idling , it's actually going to decrease mani. Pressure driving faster. Thus that's where your turbo comes in. I hope you under stand that.

I guess you're right, maybe I exaggerated. But still it's better solution than being in hot engine bay. But you got me thinking and I made this little exel-thingy: 

exel_by_atomicsickness-d8ftolm.jpg

Note: theoretical numbers

CFM boost shows how much air the engine is going to ingest while driving. And the airflow rate (K) is how much air the filter area is going to catch. And yes, this is theoretical model and no air restrictions are calculated.

Equations used:

Maximum boost - chapter 5, page 56 Airflow rate for intake

Maximum boost - chapter 3, page 27 Airflow rate needed (engine)

Maximum boost - chapter 3 page 28 Airflow rate boost

• Like 1

I'm currently trying to find a decent and quiet oil scavenge pump that would go fit after the turbo and pump the hot oil to oil cooler and then back to sump (and maybe DIY oil cooling piston jets).

But... I can only find good 12V from  USA and they're expensive as hell + import taxes and shipping... jeez.. 

Electric pump, because I don't think that stock A-series pump would deliver enough pressure to both cooler and turbo. But If someone knows where to get high pressure pumps for A-series engines, please post link below :)

Well one pump is better than two, only one cause of possible failure.

If the electric pump fails how would you know? No oil pressure light ? I understand it would be its on circuit right, suck hot oil from the pan cool it, throw it back into the pan right? Or suck hot oil cool it send through turbo or head?

Well one pump is better than two, only one cause of possible failure.

If the electric pump fails how would you know? No oil pressure light ? I understand it would be its on circuit right, suck hot oil from the pan cool it, throw it back into the pan right? Or suck hot oil cool it send through turbo or head?

Might be,

I could get a pressure gauge after the electric pump. I was planning to suck hot oil straight from turbo(because it's the last component in the oil loop), cool it and then throw back in the pan. 

I found an electric pump priced at 97e but I need to know its operating temperature, going to send email to the seller. Besides the electric pump wouldn't need to generate much pressure at all, just enough to get through the cooler and spraying the cooled oil to the pistons

So than you should be fine running a standard oil cooler, with stock pump, it's not going to be a huge difference either way, yes it will be a bit cooler, but not like it going to be cold

I could try  it  with the original pump for both turbo and the cooler (both connected to the pump), if I do this, I'm just worried about that the low rpm oil pressure wont be enough to keep oil pressure suitable for the turbo.

Or I can't, because my turbo bearing type is Journal bearing instead of ball bearing (which requires less oil pressure). So hmm... If I get the electric pump, I probably should put it before the turbo, I need more time to think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Atomic changed the title to Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project