Can anyone ID what year this grille is?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!! Was on my 69 when I bought it. The car is a little off though. Came with a 70 dash and lights but early x-member and trim. Was built 04/69. Can't figure this thing out I'm the second owner and I know nothing was changed prior to me owning it. So I guess this grille is supposed to have different headlight doors?

I tried looking for more info on it, I confused the actual '68 grille with this one, according to the seller, your grille is a SSS grille?

http://community.rat...1968-510-grill/

yes it is JDM cool as shit and worth a bit of coin not sure the exact value but worth keeping its a popular upgrade

the 68 looks like this

as i post this Mike is to fast for me

Thanks Mike nice to see all the grill options

photobucket-53865-1353613131574.jpg?t=1353613132

I can assure that this is the original grille. As I purchased it from an 80 y/o lady and the car only had 30,000 kms on it but was sitting for a very long time. It has never been hit. This car is kinda a basket case of model years. Like I said it's an early 69 but wasn't sold from the dealer till mid 70.(I have the original bill of sale from the island) But what is really weird is the fact that it has the 70 up dash and marker/signal lights. And now a JDM grille? WTF!!! So can anybody tell me just why this car is a basket case of years?

Production dates after the 10th month are the following model year

yes, that's a good rule of thumb.

Not the whole story... while October is the traditional new model year start, many are introduced earlier. And some go later. Some Datsuns were built after October and still the same model year. Some Datsuns debuted in June or July, it's up to the manufacturer to decide each year and each model.

I can assure that this is the original grille. As I purchased it from an 80 y/o lady and the car only had 30,000 kms on it but was sitting for a very long time. It has never been hit. This car is kinda a basket case of model years. Like I said it's an early 69 but wasn't sold from the dealer till mid 70.(I have the original bill of sale from the island) But what is really weird is the fact that it has the 70 up dash and marker/signal lights. And now a JDM grille? WTF!!! So can anybody tell me just why this car is a basket case of years?

April '69 would be a late '69 not early. These cars are well over 40 years old and have had many owners. To repair them or keep them on the road lots of parts can and have been swapped.

The '69 should have the narrow 'arrow' style amber front side marker lights, the rears were round and red. The '70 model year had to have mandatory rectangular shape ones front (amber) and back (red)

Look through the windshield on the driver's side for the serial number....

1969:

PL510/1600 Sedan

L510-010000-- Oct. '68-Sept. '69 (looks like to be a '69 you must be PL510-010,000-039,999)

PL510-040011-- Oct. '68-Sept. '69

WPL510/1600 Wagon

WPL510-805001-- Oct. '68

1970:

PL510/1600 Sedan

L510-040000-- Oct. 1969--

PL510-095000-- July 1969--

WPL510/1600 Wagon

WPL510-842001-- Oct. 1969--

WPL510-11499-- July 1969--

Datzenmike- I know exactly what you are talking about. I am only the second owner of this car and I have had it for 20+ years. I have all records for this car. The only thing I can think of as to why the 70 stuff on it is the fact it was a dealer demo and was not sold off the lot till mid 70 and maybe they changed it up to look like the newer model year in order to sell it.

Ive only ever seen those grilles come on JDM trim levels. It was common for end of the year 69s to have 70 dashes as the factory just used up the last of the parts they had. Whats intriguing is that the car came out early in the year. Its possible that it was dealer assembled as you mentioned earlier. I didnt see if you answered the question about side-markers... which is it running?- arrow/circle or rectangle/rectangle?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.