Help! Timing chain gear

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had tight ones before. I put the chain on the sprocket and lined the cam dowel pin up. Held the sprocket up and got the bolt started. As it tightened, it pulled up on the chain and the sprocket slipped on. I had to force it slightly but not too much.

Yep motor was running fine but condition was kinda unknown since I've never had the head off and I found a peanut head so I swapped it yesterday. Everything went smoothe except the timing chain soo far

This one is really tight. I've tried rotating the cam but no luck yet.

If a link even half dropped that might be the problem... Looking into doing the whole front cover.

Gonna try one more thing before I order the gaskets tho

This is what you are fighting against.

LooseChain.jpg

It should be more like this.

TightChain.jpg

If you look close, in the second picture, the black "shoe", just above the crankshaft sprocket is pushed into the block with the two bolts a littler farther. You want to get that "shoe" farther into the block.

The camshaft will not turn easily, because four of the valves are not seated, and they are putting pressure on the camshaft. one or more valves may also be on the flank, or side of a can lobe, halfway open, and trying to turn the camshaft, probably in the direction you do not want it to go.

If the camshaft sprocket is on the cam, but the dowel does not line up, I would first try grabbing the center of the camshaft with a pair of pliers between the #2 and #3 exhaust valve lobes and try to turn the camshaft in the direction you need it to go. If you cannot turn the camshaft, try loosening the valve adjustment under the rocker arms, that are under a lobe on the camshaft.

If you can keep a lot of tension on the camshaft drive chain, by turning the crankshaft backwards, (counterclockwise) you might be able to get the tensioner to go back into the block. IF YOU DO NOT KEEP THE TENSION ON THE CHAIN, THE TENSIONER WILL COME OUT DOING THIS. You might gain a little by rocking the crankshaft back and forth a little, but you must keep tension on the chain.