Scrap yard.

What are your local laws concerning taking an old datsun in for scrap? I have never received the title to my 1978 parts truck. I hear in some states if it is a certain age or wrecked they will still take it. I will call the scrap yard to ask what they are willing to do.

I was just curious what your experience has been with getting scrap price for your junker.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington, title or DOL release required. You can get State Patrol signoff but you can't take it to the yard with that but a registered hulk hauler can. Or you can cut it up beyond recognition, but even then yards aren't supposed to take it.

Intact cars pay $250-up. If the engine is missing it'd be under $200 because it's based on scale weight.

In my experience, the scrap yards around here won't even look at a vehicle with out a title. Lately every yard has been asking for vin numbers for any car parts, plus your drivers liacence number to Ty to that. Haven't hauled anything in for about 4 months. At that point in time prices were about $140 a ton autobody shred. Don't know what it is now.

Back east some places are paying $140/ton too I would expect.

Some places out here were paying double that price. Prices have come down but shopping around can still make a huge difference.

The standard around here is 13 cents a pound for iron. Car's are weighed as iron. My stripped 620 Shell scrapped for 150$

A huge load of iron is 60-75 cents a pound but you gotta have a good bit to sell it for that much.

Check around you can & will be ripped off if you don't. Here locally in central Cal. I go to a recycler called A&S Metals they charge $50 from the scrap price paid for no title, they tag the car and wait for the county to clear it then mail you the check, if you have the title it's instant.