Welding Rear Doors Shut

SupDoc

This might be considered a major crime by any purists out there, but have you heard of anyone ever welding shut the rear doors of a 4-door, to make it a 2-door? I can only imagine doing this if there was a really good reason. Like if the hinges/catches were really jacked, and you didn't want to deal with the headache of fixing them. I'm not sure if the wheel bases are the same between the 2 and 4-door, but I'm guessing it probably wouldn't look right.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this something that you'd really want to do. One thing for sure is if the rear doors are welded shut, how would you access those rear seats. On the 2D version, the doors are a bit longer and the b-pillar is further backward than the 4D. This allows for the front seats to fold forward to climb in the back.

the wheel bases, from what i know, are the same.

Define " the hinges/catches were really jacked, and you didn't want to deal with the headache of fixing them." pics would help :)

I know of person that has a 4D wagon that was converted into a 2D wagon, but again, 2D doors were fitted and mounted (with great modification to the b-pillar location) in order to make this happen.

I'd say fix the hinges/catches... just my 2¢. i'm no Datsun guru, but that just seems like the logical route.

it's not a major crime, its more that it never really works well and its a hell of a lot of work to get right. Ask Sealik, you can't really seal off that cavity and water tends to get in there., get trapped and rust out the low spots.... i've seen several done, but none has ever survived more than a few years without major cancer. and it doesn't look right.... even the Aussies that have converted 4 drs to 2 doors have bought US front 2 door doors, moved the B pillar back and mocked in hinged windows.

I'd say fix the hinges/catches... just my 2¢. i'm no Datsun guru, but that just seems like the logical route.

Or just don't open the doors? :rofl:

If I were in a scenario where the rear doors were so jacked up they couldn't be fixed, I'd just bolt them shut. Welding them up to make it look like a 2 door just looks dumb, IMO. Welding/sealing them up from the oustide just seems like a hell of a lot of work for no gain.

• Like 1

I think I got my answer...just buy a 2D project. I've never been a great door technician. I'm a little gun shy in that department, because I had a Karmann Ghia, back in the day, that always gave me door problems. You'd think I would have been smart enough to just take it to someone who knew what they were doing (but that costs money).

Yes....water gets trapped in the lower part of doors/rockers....<.....rust

Mine will be repaired and driven on days where rain is not forecasted........hopefully...maybe.... :rolleyes:

Also.....I don't think it looks tooooooo bad.....4 to a 2 that is.... :D

rear2.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P7060016.jpg

Not sure if this something that you'd really want to do. One thing for sure is if the rear doors are welded shut, how would you access those rear seats. On the 2D version, the doors are a bit longer and the b-pillar is further backward than the 4D. This allows for the front seats to fold forward to climb in the back.

the wheel bases, from what i know, are the same.

Define " the hinges/catches were really jacked, and you didn't want to deal with the headache of fixing them." pics would help :)

I know of person that has a 4D wagon that was converted into a 2D wagon, but again, 2D doors were fitted and mounted (with great modification to the b-pillar location) in order to make this happen.

Pics of 2 door goon conversion please....love 2 door goons...thanks

ive never been in a 510 but i can tell you that in a b210, the back seat's legroom is so small, that have a four door is almost pointless. ive considered welding, so i could flare it and get a wider wheel base, but have ruled it out as far too much work for such little gain. just find a 2 door