H5's 1979......510 2Dr Hatch.....Rally Project

H5WAGON

This car started off as a donor car for a L20B-Dog Leg 5spd. It's really nasty was in blackberry bushes for a few years. I loosely have all the parts to make it run and drive. :thumbup:

So for now I'm just posting a few pics of what I'm starting with....And we will see what happens.

My son is excited to help...He wants to learn to drive, might just be the car...yeah he is only 12 but taller than his mom and well if out in the woods, should be fun play toy-learning experience.

The Drop off.

IMAG3987.jpg

A little light wash....Just to peek at the potential.

IMAG4082.jpg

Found the "D" for the grill in the pile of junk inside the car.

IMAG4078.jpg

Mmmmm Round Headlights!!!

IMAG4081.jpg

Just playing with the slots....

I have some 200sx meshies.That will probably go on it. Need to find two 15" snow tires!

IMAG3995.jpg

Interior is the scary part....Pics to come. :sick:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The country boy we picked it up from in Estacada....was saying possi this, possi that.

We jacked it up.....standard diff rotation :( unless its a limited slip. Draynor looked it up, said they had a factory option?

Driving(Rally) lights, mud flaps, stiffer springs.....I'm thinking the stance its at now, when the motor is in would be nice. :o

Yeah, no they don't have "possi". There was a mechanical Limited Slip available from NISMO, but I'd say the chances that car having it are 99.99999999999% against.

That interior doesn't look that bad, other than the missing parts and the heater core explosion. About the same as my '78 2-door hatch was when I got it. As it was being hooked up to the tow truck the prior owner told me he really would miss it; being that he lived in it for a year. With a kid and 2 dogs.

Yeah, it looked and smelled like it. Roof liner was (and still is) a flannel blanket glued to the original backing board. Driver's seat was replaced with one just like in your pic, although mine had factory cloth seats (which REALLY added to the smell factor). Had floral-print quilted cloth covered sunvisors. I peeled one off, the glue all over the vinyl looked worse so one quilted cover stayed put. Then there was the doorbell and Leviton light switch. The leviton switch turned on the ignition, the doorbell was for the starter.

• Like 1

Yeah I figured it probably wasn't LSD....People will say anything to sell a car... :geek:

Can't wait to see ur suspension setup to get ideas for mine

Need to go to the wrecking yard for some other things, but will be looking at coils from other cars.....something stiffer for the rear or just coil-over shocks.

The front springs are the same diameter as early 280Z. One would think they might be a bit stiffer?

The front I want to sit about like it does with the motor out and not bottom out if I hit a big dip.

So I'm not sure what to call it....Baja/Pre-Runner/Road Warrior/Back Yard Hack...Should be fun. :devil:

There is no headliner inside carpet is trashed. The rest I'll just show with pics after I do some cleaning tomorrow.

A10 (1979 510) coils are probably about 100 lb/in. About the same as 240Z front springs.

280Z 1975 100mm coils

front GS30: 8.5 coils @ 115 lb/in (16.7" long)

front S30 : 9.5 coils @ 103 lb/in (16.0" long)

rear coils: 8.5 coils @ 198 lb/in (15.4" long)

So 280Z rear coils will be good for some extra-firm springs for the front of the A10. Nissan Competition used 170 lb/in in the Safari Rally A10.

S130 1983 280ZX Rear 100mm coils

126 lb/in

S130: 14.5" long

GS130: 14.8" long (also S130J)

280ZX rear will make a nice sporty street car, and still have a viable ride. 280ZX fronts are 150mm diameter so won't work.

Killer info!.........^^^^^^^^^^

280z rear springs sounds like the ticket! If not the ride height I'm looking for I can always cut the spring perch and put in a adjustable collar to raise it up.

EDIT....PHOTO...Ride height!.....Mud Flaps!

Moar pics of this car...From down under....>>> http://www.gumtree.c...sale/1008562931

756516_20.jpeg

613683l_20.jpeg

• Like 1

So after I fixed my Alt. mount on my wagon, it started to sprinkle and as I was getting the wheels on it was just coming down.

So I got the wheels on and sprayed out the wheel wells, I was going to jack it up in the back for stance pics, but just to wet.. :crying:

IMAG4142.jpg

• Like 1

Killer info!.........^^^^^^^^^^

280z rear springs sounds like the ticket! If not the ride height I'm looking for I can always cut the spring perch and put in a adjustable collar to raise it up.

EDIT....PHOTO...Ride height!.....Mud Flaps!

Moar pics of this car...From down under....>>> http://www.gumtree.c...sale/1008562931

756516_20.jpeg

613683l_20.jpeg

Wow love the little bumpers on this my 4 door would look bad ass with those on

I used coil spacers on my first KHLA10, though that was because the rear quarter was shoved in several inches. Prior owner had run a stop sign, I bought it for parts but drove it for a couple years until my sister did on the front quarter. It did raise it up a bit. Stiffer springs would be an improvement.

• Like 1

.... or just use spacers under the coils.

Thats what will probably happen in the rear, but I do want to find something stiffer for the rear. If me and the kids take this out exploring the back roads/camping, I don't want it to bottom out all the time.

The 280z Rear spring up front should hold the front up higher, so I guess the springs are my 1st mod.

Rear springs...

IMAG4166.jpg

Lights will go on some sort of bumber.

IMAG4150.jpg

Might also pop this in the dome light area

IMAG4152.jpg

Well enough playing around......Lots of cleaning to do inside hope to get all the carpet out and give it a nice rinse out this weekend.