73 620, picked it up for 700 bucks

djk1505

Whats up everyone, I just grabbed a 1973 datsun 620 for 700 bucks. Got a reckless driving ticket on my bike and decided I needed another hobby for a while that was not so fast. Started looking on Craigslist and saw this guy. Three spots of rust that have eaten into the metal, both rocker guards have a pin hole size rust hole in it, and the drivers floor board has a marble sized hole. Just ordered all new front end components yesterday, tie rods, center link, bushings, king pins, center shocks, etc. Starting up front, will have everything replaced, the guy converted it to disc brakes already, so I just need to refurb the front and will POR 15 the whole underside. Then the body work will begin. Painting it the stock blue. Everything in this truck is origional, all working, and I am the second owner. Kinda think I lucked out with this project. Anyways here it is.

datsuntruck.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda just want to rebuild what is there, upgrade the electronics, rebuild/ reseal the L16 and 4 speed, get all the rust taken care of, a descet paint job, bed liner, and maybe a set of black wheels down the road. I like it almost the way it is. Learning a lot scanning the forums. Will be asking questions and getting suggestions down the road.

Thanks

DJ

Got some work done yesterday. Spent about 3 hours with the wire wheel on the drivers floor pan. Going to remove the seat and finish sanding out the rest of the floor, cut a few patch panels in and weld them up. After that POR 15 and then blue plasti dip paint. Used the plasti dip on a few other vehicles and it seems to hold up pretty good on bumpers, I have a bunch left on the shelf so thats what its gettin.

20121028_090648.jpg

20121028_090644.jpg

Been reading a lot, there are way to many engine options. So to save a bit of time maybe you guys could help. I have an L16 engine with the A87 head, cast iron exhaust mani. Looking to get out the cheap way, but want a reliable engine. What would you guys do with the components I have?

L20 block

A87 head

What pistons

Any cam

etc.

Thanks in advance.

cheap way is keep what you got and maybe build a spare motor over time. When it comes to L motor you got to spent 4 times more to get 25% more HP than a chevy V8

clean and Flex Seal , rhino line the floor and maybe drill a water hole for it to leak out if you have water issues.

If yu have points get a electronic ignition. If you have a Single point dizzy that is not worn you could get a Pertronix ignition and use the stock coil.

Or get a Matchbox but make sure you get the mount also as a whole unit, then remove the ballast resisitor and use a EI coil.

what ever you got now just run the same coil . do not just buy a coil not knowing what your putting in.

take photos of the motor and suck so we can inspect.

will get a few pics of the engine compartment. Going to keep it running as long as possible. Reading a bunch on the L20b motor, and thought about looking for an old block and put it on a stand while I am doing the body. Kinda want to use what I have and replace as little as possible. Researching electronic ignition. I have the dual points dist, so I need to purchase a new one. There are replacement dist on ebay for 140 bucks, anyone used these?

Thanks for the response.

DJ

L20 block, with L18 pistons will get you better compression, stock cams can be reground to other specs, just use whatever, I don't think cam will need to anything really special for the street, stock cam might even work the best...

put a weber on the l16 and rock that till you build up the L20 :w00t:

Drive that puppy, and you'll never want to drive anything else I promise

Funny I knew I was going to get that comment. Have had the truck for about a week now. Have not had time to change oil.

Just by dumb ass luck, the guy I am letting store his project boat in my back yard has a KA24 out of a 96 240sx. I jsut sent him a text bc a few weeks ago he was bitchin about spinnin a bearing in his ride and not finished with his other motor yet. I didnt think anything of it at the time, but just sitting here KA24 just seemed to ring in my head. Sent the text and sure enough he has a ka24. I quickly reminded him that he has a huge ugly ass boat in my back yard, and asked if he wanted to sell. So the motor has a spun bearing, bad power steering pump out, but the whole wire harness is there. He said 250 bucks. around 100K on the motor, and mentioned issues above. Without havig a plan for this truck you guys would snag that up just because right?

Thanks

DJ

Drive that puppy, and you'll never want to drive anything else I promise

That is no lie!!!!!!!

I want your wagon!!!!!!

Thats all I have been doing since I have bought this thing. These Datsuns are some cool ass rides. I really like the 210 wagon, well all the wagons really, want a B210 (my dad had one when I was growing up) and like the 510, and king cab 720. If these are anything as addictive as my bikes, I will have a few cool Datsuns.

DJ

So here is the begining plan. Just picked up the KA24de with 5 speed 240 trans attached (400 bucks with wire harness and ecu)

Building the lower end this winter, wiseco 9:1 pistons, eagle connecting rods, king bearings, arp head and main studs, felpro gasket kit, having the head gone through, and then gonna bolt it in. I have already purchased the motor mounts, new trans mount, fel pro gasket kit, arp head studs, and center link flip kit. Just waiting to get the block to the machinest to get my piston and rod measurements, and more money together to get the rest ordered. I am hoping to have the engine in and running by the first of the year. Once it is in, I have the 240 gauge cluster wired in, all gauges working, I will start on the body. Then engine management system, thinking about megasquirt but not sure, and then finally turbo!!!!!

Thanks for the great threads, have learned alot; and have been able to put together a good build sheet off your threads.

DJ

they are just the white d window wheels. they also sell them as trailer wheels. not sure the specs on them, 15 inch, but thats all i know. Getting black American Racing Trench wheels once the truck is running and painted. you can have these once I am done with them, LOL

DJ

Okay, need some advice! I want to build the bottom end bulletproof, but funds right now say different. The engine I have needs bearings, plan was to do wiseco and eagle piston and rods. But I have a reckless driving ticket, christmas, and a road trip that are taking all my funds right now. Would you guys hold off and keep saving to get the right parts, or build the lower engine with stock internals and arp studs, call it a day and boost till she blows?

From what I read the lower stock components are good for around 350-400 hp. My origional goals were to hit 300hp. So do I just get rings, recondition the rods, new bearings, arp studs, and felpro gaskets and slap it together?????????????? Or patiently wait???

DJ