Panhard bar

toadx8u

Has anyone on here ever done a pan hard bar on their 610/710? While riding down the road bumps tend to wanna make the rear of the car jump out....so if you have and you have some photos they would be appreciated thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I havnt, but the 78-84 rx7's have nice ones, just mzke shure you dont have a long range of travel becouse it will feal like the rear is realy moving side to side over large bumps, i had a first gen with shot suspention and when i jumped dunes with it i could feal the rear move left when the suspention extended, and way right when it compressed

The leaf springs provide lateral support for the rear axle. It ain't moving.

Some things to check...

Someone may have removed a leaf or two in a misguided attempt to lower the ride height. This would weaken the sieways support that a full leaf pack would provide.

Tire pressure may be too low. Try a few more pounds closer to the maximum recommended on the sidewall.

You may have miss matched tires on the back.

Shocks may be severely worn out. NOTHING improves a vehicle's ride like a new set of shocks.

More going on there than just leaf springs looks like a creative 4 bar setup, using the spring as the bottom 2 bars and the triangle bar as the Panhard / pullbar also with some kind of bird cages. I cant tell from the picture if they are floating or fixed.

IMG_5397.jpg

Looks like an aluminum case so probably a 510 goon H-190 rear axle. Might even be a 4.88 from a 520. The Roadster LSD will also fit this. Looks like overkill for the street but those meaty tires on turns must try real hard to shove that axle around.

this ^^^

More going on there than just leaf springs looks like a creative 4 bar setup, using the spring as the bottom 2 bars and the triangle bar as the Panhard / pullbar also with some kind of bird cages. I cant tell from the picture if they are floating or fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have REALLY been wonderin' about what gets done to the underbodies of these to race prep 'em. These pics went a long way to answering that Question. Thx Will.

If I ever get to the 2dr... I am dreaming of evil things for it. Wagon due for Smog in early 2014 so having the 2dr running by then would be good....having it gutted and growling would be better.

That's pretty good idea in that pic ... especially for us budget guys !

Nice catch banner ! modified tri-angulated 4-link system/kit it seems to be .. koooooollll.

A panhard bar is fine. Key (from my understanding) is to make it as long as possible .. if there is more suspension travel.

A watt's link system setup correctly (to my knowledge) can be a superior option over than panhardbar.

Sometimes there isn't room for the watt's link system under a car though lol.

p1010172c.jpg

^^^ All of this depends on a critical factors ,,, especially suspension travel... setup.

... I bought a cheap watt's link kit for $75 from speedway.com.

Cheap kit ,, components look good , but it will get the job done for now !

It was my first time of doing a watt's link system on a IRS to straight axle swap on my project.

A tri-angulated 4-link system is the shit in my humble opinion.

There are many variations , but I would go for one of these setups in a heartbeat on a straight axle street-car (depending on application really haha).

Hell ... buy the rod end's/rod's and make your own brackets (save $$$) if you have the will and way.

brand_new_in_the_box_triangulated_4_link_suspenision_kit_car_truck_199_nashville_tn_11020563.jpg

Traditional 4-link. It's a competition engineering 4-link kit ( which is what I have ).

Made well enough. I'm happy with it.

Driver's top bar set's pinion angle.

Passenger's top bar set's pre-load.

DSC_7499-612x407.jpg

More than one way to skin a cat lol. Search the internet and you will find endless 4-link , panhard, watt's link , coilover options , and other suspension stuff that just goes on ... and on ... There's always advantages and especially dis-advantages to each one. Research carefully :)

or... You could also do an wagon IRS swap like these guys are doing ;) ---> http://community.rat...wap-goin-lower/ <---- :D

I'm not a wagon or 510 specific guy though. More zcar stuff.

I am newer to swapping suspension's as well. Learning curve haha.

The leaf springs provide lateral support for the rear axle. It ain't moving.

Shocks may be severely worn out. NOTHING improves a vehicle's ride like a new set of shocks.

Yep, Shocks. One blown one and one good will give you a side to side feeling