'79 Dastu 620 build

minimechanic

so, i just took on an abandoned 20 year old project my grandpa left behind at my uncles. its a '79 620 p/u, 20 years ago the cylinder head warped and blew. 5 years pior to that the motor was swapped cause the original L18 died, so im having some big issues determining whether its a L20 or L22... can anyone provide some insight?

tumblr_mb55e0P0VM1rre03ho10_1280.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it was a 20 year old abandond project my grandpa had left behind, its now my project. just started really diggin around it yesterday, already found all the parts in my garage and a extra cylinder head. the problem.... dont what motor is in it. im not familiar with Datsuns but what i do know is its not the L18, it say Nissan Z on both of my valve covers. im hoping ill have it running if not close in a month or two though, atm im working on getting it off the ground. all four tires are dead flat, but not roughted. luckily its been in a garage all these years

tumblr_mb55e0P0VM1rre03ho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mb55e0P0VM1rre03ho2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mb55e0P0VM1rre03ho3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mb55e0P0VM1rre03ho4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mb55e0P0VM1rre03ho6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mb55e0P0VM1rre03ho7_1280.jpg

tumblr_mb55e0P0VM1rre03ho8_1280.jpg

tumblr_mb55e0P0VM1rre03ho9_1280.jpgtumblr_mb55e0P0VM1rre03ho10_1280.jpg

she currently has Nissan Z motor, ive been doing some research and have taken an interest in the inline 6 turbo diesel made by Nissan in the early 80's (SD33T). anyone done this? or have info on doing a diesel swap? itd be greatly appreciated

It's on the driver's side below the #2 spark plug between the two exhaust pipes. Stamped into the very top of the cast iron block where it meets the aluminum head.

ZengineID.jpg Probably a Z22 as the cast aluminum valve cover is consistent with that motor. The Z24 uses a stamped steel one painted black.

This must be the third motor in it as the '75 and up trucks had L20Bs in them.

You have three posts about his truck and it's going to get very confusing having people reply to one and knot know there were answers on the other two. I've combined all into this one to keep everything discussed together. If you plan to make a project of this truck start one (1) in the projects section and I'll move all this over to it. Otherwise here is fine. If you have questions say, about the transmission, ask them here so that the answers are directed here and they are easy to look back for.

• Like 1

I would have thought an SD33 being 6 cylinder is way too long for a 620 engine compartment! They are also very heavy, which won't make steering much fun, not that you'd ever get one to fit that is, and I don't know how you'd connect it to the transmission anyway, aren't SD33 always on 4x4 trannys?

A 4 cyl diesel from a newer Nissan pickup might be your best bet.

i wasnt sure cause in a few things i read it had stated they were put into the 720's, i know theyre in the Scouts and usually have a T19 transmission, but im sure there are other compatible ones. it was just an idea i was looking into though, im sure ill run the Z motor for awhile till i find a motor i really like

• 2 weeks later...

well ill be damned, both my cylinder heads are bad. the journals for the cams are worn and damaged, its a Z22 motor. so the clutch is on hold till i find a new head, ive down some searching but turned up 0 results... no bueno! are there other heads i can use on the block? or potential modes with a larger cam?