4 important questions.. any help?

AZ-Ram

First question, and I think I mention this before.

My tires tend to wear out quickly, this is because i need an alignment badly. However I cannot get an alignment because a part needs to be replaced. I cannot remember the exact name, but it is something like rod bearings... any help?

Second question I was pulling up the old nasty carpet the other day and I got to a point where there was a black gooey substance, my dad said that it was the factory glue to hold the carpet, does anyone know how to get it up?

Can one replace the entire steering column of a 1982 Datsun 720 KC with a steering column out of another vehicle? Preferibly a steering column that raises and/or telescopes?

Any help would be apreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently a self styled expert on black gooey stuff.

If you have a look in my build thread, you'll see the fun I've been having recently.

Whilst I've found dry ice works well with the factory body deadener sheeting on the 510's, best method I've found for this stuff is hot air gun (a hair dryer will do), a scraper, and lots of patience.

Once you get the worst of it off, some petrol and rags to clean up the residue.

Have fun, it's a shit of a job"

check the "how to section regarding the steering column. Someone had a good how to thread on that, not sure that ti was a 720 but it'd be a good start for research.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/46635-steering-column-modifications-mklotz70/page__hl__steering this is the thread I was thinking of, won't answer your question but lots of good info, hope it helps

720 tilt steering columns will bolt into any 720 year.

Funny thing is that the 81-82 datsun diesel wiring harnesses have the early plugs, yet you can get tilt wheel hardware(turn signal/headlight/wiper/4 way assemblies) with the early plugs also, yet the column shaft is bigger on the tilt column, so the tilt column stuff has a larger hole for the larger column, so they had to have the tilt column before 1983.

I do have one 1985 diesel harness(canadian spec.), but it has some weird diesel related electrical hardware that I am unsure I will be able to find in this country(USA).