My 1968 2dr 510 starting from scratch.

ifixvws

Hey all,

Quick intro and the first pics of the car/shell are here. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/46897-first-post-and-an-introduction-to-my-1968-510/

I have been going through the boxes of parts I got with the car. Trying to find out what i'm missing. Well that list is pretty long.

7993762268_928e39a0ab_z.jpg

The car has no interior whats so ever. No door panels, dash, dash frame, window regulators, dash wiring, heater box... Nothing.

I have been looking for a complete parts car as I believe that is the cheapest way to get all the parts I need.

Enough of the bad stuff. The good news is the body other than the roof and the front floors is very nice. The trunk is mint. The rear wheel arches are perfect. The door are nice and the fenders are workable. The entire car is already sandblasted and lightly primed and the best part is that it is a '68. SO the cool wipers and the small tailights are sweet. I have the original '68 headlights trims and grille. The tailights i have are junk but im working on buying a new set.

The car came with no engine or trans and this is where the fun comes for me. I own a VW/Audi Repair and Performance shop in Minneapolis, Mn and have always wanted a rear wheel drive VW Rabbit or similair. The 510 is going to fill that void nicely. The Motor I am plannning on is a 2000 VW 1.8t with a Tremec T5 five speed using a custom bell housing from Lakewood. With a bigger turbo and Haltec should be around 300hp or so.

7936477864_5b8daacb00_z.jpg

So anyway this is my car and I'll be back with updates as the project goes forward.

Chad

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been busy and not so frugile. I picked up a set of brand new in the box 1968 tail lights, trim rings and rubber gaskets. They should be here in the am.

I have been trying to locate the parts I need. But think I may just put up a WTB thread on here.

I really want to get the roof done before the winter hits here in Minnesota. The space the extra roof is taking up is not acceptable.

I was so excited about getting the parts I needed for the 510. I failed to read the ad for the taillight parts closely.

So I just got chrome trim rings, new gaskets and "Lens" < key word here. Just one lens not Lense's(and the shipper forgot to ship that).

Oh well some parts are better then no parts.

• 4 weeks later...

8111313103_8f3947cc3b_z.jpg

I picked up a Rotisserie of of Craigslist for $350 last week. The previous owner had used it on his 72 240z.

It works great and after I cut and welded the back section to the new plates I made it worked perfect.

It will really help get the floors and rear quarters done.

8111318412_575b66bb44_z.jpg

There are a series of holes in the yoke that allows the chassis to spin. A 1/2 pin drops in and holds the car were you put it.

Even upside down.

8111318014_de12e7ca9a_z.jpg

Soon the floors will be out as the cutting begins.

Chad

• 3 weeks later...

Picking up a 71 510 4dr Parts car in the am. I checked it out today and it has so many of the little parts im missing with may car.

Best part is the dash (although not a 68 dash) it's very nice. All the switches are there and the heater box/controls are nice.

Door handles and interior window parts and door latches are all there.

I can't wait for my buddy to tow it down to the shop, so I can get started on tearing it apart.

I'll post some pics Thursday night.

• 2 months later...

Update! Update! Finally an update.

So we've been pushing the car in and out over the past three months, with the engine and trans in a holding pattern while I wait to sell a couple of projects for spare cash. I decided to start on the floors. With some help from a good friend of mine we got to work.

8399637117_55b65b7274_z.jpg

Oddly enough I cant find the before pics of the floor. But rest assured it was nasty. The pass side you see here is already cut out and just being trimmed to fit the new panels.

8399638279_8247ef67de_z.jpg

Best part of fabbing these panels I got to use my new Bead roller. This was done to strengthen up the floor panels. Used an X pattern for the rear panels and a oval for the front. I will try to get some better pics up this next week.

8400726174_fb17d13aca_z.jpg

we had to make the driver side seat mount. The factory one was missing the entire bottom.

8400725754_04a9a4f76e_z.jpg

Tacked in and very solid. Used my dimple dies to strengthen up this panel. Those four dimples increased the strength of the panel ten fold.

Should keep moving on this thing over the next month. Hopefully the roof will get swapped before the first.

Chad

It would be cool to see a 1.8 diesel in a 510... Im not one for cross platform engine swaps, but Im also game with a 50mpg engine to allow for less money spent went I daily the dime. 

Pick either 1.6 or 1.9. There are 1.6 and 1.9 IDI's commonly available in both NA and FI. Then there are 1.9 TDI's (these things are amazing and I would slap one in a datto in a heart beat (ecomodders get over 100mpg)). Most recently there are Common Rail Diesels. 

Most importantly. There are no 1.8 diesels. Look up mTDI. Probably the Coolest/best option. Couple that with an ACME Adapters tranny adapter and slap a toyota 5 speed to it, and tada, you have a rwd, mechanical (no computer) controlled 1.9TDI motor.

Pick either 1.6 or 1.9. There are 1.6 and 1.9 IDI's commonly available in both NA and FI. Then there are 1.9 TDI's (these things are amazing and I would slap one in a datto in a heart beat (ecomodders get over 100mpg)). Most recently there are Common Rail Diesels. 

Most importantly. There are no 1.8 diesels. Look up mTDI. Probably the Coolest/best option. Couple that with an ACME Adapters tranny adapter and slap a toyota 5 speed to it, and tada, you have a rwd, mechanical (no computer) controlled 1.9TDI motor.

I know nothing about VWs (nor really care to learn at this moment as I dont plan on owning one), but I was certain there was a Rabbit thread that someone was building that had a 1.8 diesel in it... only reason I thought it existed. I appreciate the correction though Jacob. 

Edit: Found the thread, read it, and its a 1.9

• 3 months later...

More updates and more pictures.

I have been able to sell quite a bit of parts from my VW parts whoring over the years. With those sales I have ordered wheels Enkei Compe, Coilover sleeves and springs from Qa1(about 25 miles from me), The trans adapter, The T5 trans, Sweet set of Nissan Z32 alloy callipers, Bump steer spacers, Delrin bushings for the front section of the lower control rod.

I also parted and scrapped a 1972 Datsun 510 that was full of holes.

Heres the car as it came apart on Saturday.

8666310266_38e3c778c7_z.jpg

I modified the rear crossmember to allow 2.5inch exhaust to clear.

8665219543_abed2543dc_z.jpg

And here it is welded up.

8665223557_a60c6db66b_z.jpg

It looks very close in the picture but there seems to be plenty of room for the pipe in there. I may try to test a mount as I

think with out a mount right at the crossmember it may hit over bumps. Now is the time to change it or enlarge it if needed.

Heres the part that is going to make it happen. The trans adapter that will allow the VW 1.8t or any VW 4 cylinder motor mount to a T5 Chevy trans.

I should be able to have the engine set in the car and test fit the front steering and the oil pan. I dont mind making one

8673242400_25184fb769_z.jpg

I'll take some more pics at the shop when I get in Thursday. The wheels should be there so I'll post a pic of those ASAP.

nice man! Its going to hit and make noise go bigger.

Thats what Im thinking. I found some 3.75-4inch stuff at the metal scrap yard and will be redoing it with that. I will wait until I get a Plazma cutter though.

This is what I worked on today. I wanted to make my own set of heim jointed Lower Control Arms for the 510. I ordered the hiem joint and weld bung from a local QA1 rep.

The parts showed up the next day.

8684056007_f9b857551e_z.jpg

We also welded the back side of the LCA where before were just spot welds.

8684057611_5883aeb035_z.jpg

Also the T5 Trans showed up too. I now have all three big parts. The Motor, The trans adapter and the Trans.

I should be able to test fit the motor and trans next week.

• 7 months later...

After a crazy summer at the shop this is where the car sits. I was able to put together some front and rear suspension to allow me to test fit the wheels.

I used MR2 fronts and Camaro rears stuff that a lot of guys use.

11140237724_936a0b2807_z.jpg

I machined groves into teh lower portions of the sleev retainers to keep the sleeve from kicking sideways.

11140213376_fe41db4e06_z.jpg

I saw these wheels at SEMA show last year and knew I had to have them. Enkei Compe Classic's

Great price and the fitment is perfect. I think I may need something wider in the back but these look great.

11133579744_eb26025a1d_z.jpg

Best news I've finally been able to start buying some sheet metal for the Datsun. I just ordered the rear panel from Futofab. The fact that I also need fenders and bumpers has me hoping my first purchase from them wont be my last. As I've heard all kinds of great things about them I dont see any problems.

8111313103_8f3947cc3b_z.jpg

You can see how bad the rear section is above.