Modify an aftermarket 280ZX strut to fit a 510.

tr8er

KG9113.jpg

I know this must have been done a bunch of times. Would the process be the same as the modified stock 280zx with the 510 spring perch, and the stop collars?

Any complications? or words of wisdumb?

Anyone have pics?

note: I simply have not been able to find a 280zx at a parts yard. (hawaii)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch. eBay (from whom I shamefully snagged the photo) didn't list this one as a rear. I'm working on the front right now. So the question is basically, if it ends up costing around the same after shipping to have someone pull these off a zx and ship them, or buy an aftermarket FRONT zx strut, what are the known pros and cons to either. Thanks in advance.

Pros and cons to new vs. used?- or 510 vs. ZX?

New vs. used should be obvious.

If 510 vs. ZX:

-ZX will pull the wheelbase in about 3/4in on both sides allowing you to fit wider rims.

-ZX brakes are larger than 510s. They were made to stop about a 900lb heavier car so they will work great on a 510.

Ouch. eBay (from whom I shamefully snagged the photo) didn't list this one as a rear. I'm working on the front right now. So the question is basically, if it ends up costing around the same after shipping to have someone pull these off a zx and ship them, or buy an aftermarket FRONT zx strut, what are the known pros and cons to either. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you may be confused about the entire front strut assembly. On newer cars the entire upright shock/strut unbolts from the spindle, but on 510's, 280zx's, etc the spindle & strut tube are integrated into one piece. When people swap 280zx "struts" onto 510's, this includes the spindle, hub, strut tube, brake caliper & rotor, not just the "strut" (or shock insert).

Well my intention is to keep my spring and perch and duct tape it to the strut tube from whatever I find. Sound like my search is limited by old, used, and not easy to find (not impossible though.). I do see a parts car 280zx for $1K. Wonder if there is more to grab before dumping the shell (cancer rust.). They won't sell me just that.

It will be a challenge to make one as pretty as that. But I'd probably end up painting them black to subdue some of that pink panty peeking out from below the skirt bling. I've enjoyed some of those textured effect rattle can paints. And powder coat finish.

First I need some stockers to modify. Anyone want to send me some on a pallett? Not really joking. I will pay a fair price and throw in a case of papaya or pineapple ripe from HI.