One Moment

Im in Georgia and I have been looking for a few years for a Datsun 510 to refurbish to have as a nice weekend car. I learned fairly quick that it was kinda hopeless. They just dont exist here. Those that did were snatched up and stripped to sell for parts, shells sold or kept by a local guy. He still has 10 or so shells and parts for sale at steep prices. Nothing left for regular guys like me. I found a nice one out of state at a fair price. When the seller found out I was a few states away, he just stopped talking to me, saying he wanted the car to stay local. Last night I went to bed as normal. I had a dream that I had a 510 like the one for sale, that was my own. It was like an off white with black interior. I would see the outside of the car like I was floating around it. It wasnt perfect, just a used decent Datsun. I then was in the drivers seat. I was going somewhere and I felt great. I come to the top of a hill out in the beautiful countryside, and just as Im going down the other side, my alarm goes off. I wanted to go back to sleep! Maybe I could go back into the dream. It was too late. In my confusion of waking up I felt great for a second, then my heart sank... It was just a dream.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could think of worse things to dream about. Dreaming about your obsession is normal. If you want something bad enough this is a good way to start. Daydream about it too. Imagine how you would like it to be. What tires and rims, brakes, suspension, motor and drive train, color and interior you want. Now work towards it, even to saving up and traveling west and driving one home.

Thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot to me. One came up on craigslist not long ago. It wasnt exactly what I wanted, but damn close. It was complete, a non running KA24E swap, mini tub, blue, it was beautiful. They were asking 4500 and I had half of that. So I contacted the seller thinking they may take cash and a z car or z parts as partial payment. Nope. They had 25 cars and looking to prune them down. So I offered to paint his personal ride, an ae6. He said he would think about it. Meanwhile, Im taking brown bag lunches to work. Ham and cheese, PB&J with doritos, watching my coworkers getting fat off Zax Snacks and Hooters take out. I got up to 3500 about a month and a half later. I wanted to try again. Maybe, just maybe! I contacted the seller. Sorry, I already sold it. Man, I was so depressed. My eyes are watering just thinking about the next part of the story. A week later Im scanning craigslist. For sale! Datsun KA24 swap with pulleys and Datsun wiring conversion! ... That guy got it. The strip em down guy. I knew those beautiful tail lights, the nice bumpers were already off and dollar signs flashing in his eyes. His greedy hands pulling it apart peice by peice, bolt by bolt coming off. The beautiful blue body being stripped. Dead. Dead! It crushed my spirit. Yeah, tears are actually coming out at this part of my post. In my depression I blew 500 of my savings on dumb shit. Eating out because I didnt feel like cooking. Some crap from a junkyard I dont even need. A little here a little there. It goes so fast. There wasnt much hope left for me to get a 510 I wanted for so long. Not here. Not with that guy around. Now I have to pay extra to get a car so far away that its not profitable for that guy to care. Which means I have to overpay just to get one. I get less car for more money. Damn it! It wasnt long untill I realized that my 1 percent chance at a fair deal was through enthusiast websites. I joined the510realm and Ratsun. The Realm is almost a dead zone. Ratsun is lively, and gives me hope. So a big thank you to every member here. The moderators, creators, sponsors and everyone in between and behind the scenes. I know it could be a long time before I ever find my 510, if ever. The hope is alive through Ratsun. Its weak, but its there, and Im so thankful for that, more than you know.

• Like 1

No problemo ,,, like Skib says we are a community :console: :thumbup:

That KA24e dime sounds like it could have been a good candidate .. sure !

More important to look to the future of what can be than the past right ? haha :)

Just keep saving up man ! sell a few things you may not use ,,, all about trade-off's right ? haha.

errrrrrr the guy getting the dime and parting out is depressing no doubt ,,,

Just save up again and things will fall into place when time is right !

Absolutely !! there is a lot of dealing/trading/buying/selling of things on here and good people to !

I hope you get the 510 you are looking for San Maru !

sorry outta +1's for the day ! haha

Thankyou for sharing your story !!

Maybe the dime was full of problems and not really a deal after all. The guy probably figured it was worth more for parts. Never bargain from a weak position. Being head over heels in love with a Datsun IS a weakness and sellers will see it right off. Know what you want and don't settle for less or pay more for it. Emotion has nothing to do with buying a car. See everything for what it it.

Here's a great read for those wanting to buy. Read three times. Know more about the car than the owner and it's hard to get burned...... http://www.the510rea...php?f=1&t=10023

I had a dream that I had a 510 like the one for sale, that was my own. It was like an off white with black interior. I would see the outside of the car like I was floating around it. It wasnt perfect, just a used decent Datsun. I then was in the drivers seat. I was going somewhere.....

That's as far as I could comprehend, I understand dreaming about Datsuns, but not even in my dreams do they actually DRIVE :lol:

A lot of good points and encouragement by you guys. I posted in that thread, what to look for when buying. I just wanted you guys to know Im not the average member. I read. Being a bodyman, I have tools, skills, and materials and patience to tackle most anything. I cant fix horrible wrecks where the car was hit by a dumptruck or train of course, but I would take on what other people would turn down. There is a point where Its just too much work, but the car has to be really far gone. Im not looking to make a profit. My Z cars often have more invested in them than they are worth and Im ok with that. They bring great joy and smiles so its worth it to me. I have the same attitude towards a 510 project. Its about enjoyment of life rather than an investment or whatever. So if any of the readers can help me accomplish my goal, please let me know. Im up against unfair odds here. We are stronger as a team. Take care guys.

I dreamed I was sitting in a 620 sinking into my back yard once. Wait!....

Man, thats messed up. Whenever i have a big race, or sandrail trip coming up, I have dreams that someone either completely disassembled the car, or stole it. And then everyone fucks with me while I'm trying to get it back together.

ALL Datsuns, have more in them than they are worth.

And the sum of the parts is often worth more than the whole.

You'll find your 510 San Maru, or more likely it will find you B)