torque wrench suggestions wanted

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the majority of stuff we sent out but there was this one calibration system thing that the nuke mechanics kept in the engine room

that i remember doing a PM on the click type and that allowed me to stick a new, in cal sticker on it.

You can get a protractor, and figure out how far to turn a bolt. Or use a clock face. From 12:00 to 3:00 is 90 degrees, a right angle, so 1:00 is 30 degrees, 2:00 is 60 degrees. You should be able to split the difference between 0, and 90 degrees, and get 45 degrees.

now do that on 20+ bolts... no thank you

these deals are handy, cheap and just go on your breaker bar......but not very sexy

93323a.jpg

Nice torque wrench! I use that one at work as well. I have not calibrated my torque wrenches since new. I check them against new ones that come off the tool truck into the shop. I know it is not exact, but it is close enough for me. Any experience out there on how often they are off in a significant way?

Meow.....

Just picked this one up.

2012-07-27_13-47-20_349.jpg

2012-07-27_13-47-59_770.jpg

2012-07-27_13-48-42_804.jpg

2012-07-27_13-49-15_753.jpg

2012-07-27_13-51-02_647.jpg

I do a lot of Subaru head gaskets on the side and need something that is flexible with torque angles. Doing the gaskets in the car is tight and this will give me more accuracy as it records and buzzes when you have reached the desired angle.

Plus its 12.5-250 ft lbs. And my old wrench started at 40, my inch lb wrench stopped at 20 in lbs. Two of the specs for subys are in the 20-30 range.

Now I have one wrench that does it all. It cost 2x as much but will be well worth it after one head gasket job.

I use a Craftsman one, but yes, all clicker type torque wrenches only carry a one year warranty for the most part. I'll one-up the TechAngle though. Back when I was at Nissan in the desert, we had digital torque wrenches. They had a separate head that went on to measure torque and breakaway torque to the decimal point. Pretty crazy. Very very accurate,if somewhat unwieldy, they had a wire coming off the head. Can't even find a picture on the interwebs to show you. Probably outdated by now.