New to me 71 2 door

Picked this up on Monday, super good shape no rust great paint, odd ball engine swap. but it really needs suspension work, bad it's hard to keep it straight on the road lol.... it has coilovers on all 4 corners but needs an alignment and camber plates, and a different way of doing the swap bar. hope to get up under it his weekend and and take pics.

Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_20120716_1554091.jpg

IMG_20120716_155401.jpg

IMG_20120710_175312.jpg

more pics to come.

• Like 2
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the black on orange look! very sexy!

motor looks like a Buick v6, right? sure you'll like it a lot more after an alignment is done so you can actually open her up...

some serious pipes under the engine...be weary of speed bumps.

• Like 1

undecided it runs like a scalded dog, they guy who did the exhaust did it right so none of that shitty gm v6 sound you usually get. that said..... centrifugal supercharger in this engine will make some cheep ponies..... right now I really got to sort out the suspension lol...

the 6 is out of a 96 Camaro 200hp 225 ft lbs

• Like 1

got up under the beast today. no sway bar :confused: looks like im going to have to do it NASCAR style.. no room any other way

roll cage looks to have been braced the almost right way, i think i would have welded it all the way down the length of tubing.

232193c1.jpg

im undecided on the steering found two loose bnuts and a good bit of the front end slop went away now its just twitchy. you guys take a look at what i saw and tell me what you think

drivers side

ddd4ab80.jpg

173c4907.jpg

passenger side

17ff9462.jpg

• 2 months later...

very nice car! The welds on the roll cage look a little scarry if the cage were ever in a position to be life saving.. i would jack up the front end and check for slop in the wheel. and start checking all suspension nuts and bolts now, since you already found a couple IMPORTANT ones loose.

wheels are sweet man!

them 3800's are awesome motors!!! produce good power for its weight too!!! just check your coolant and intake gaskets often as there known for them failing!

• Like 1

yeah gong to have the tubing checked out by a friend of mine soon, he builds cages so ill do whatever he says lol... as for the 3800 i love it, me and a friend did a 30-80 pull he was in his 08 Pontiac g8 gt and we were even till about 70 and i started to pull on him. i think i would take him from a dig no problem but no there are no places to "legally" drag race around here.

I also check it monthly for the intake leak of doom and plan on going ahead and pulling the intake and changing the gasket because i have no clue how many miles are on the engine.

• Like 1

I dont know lol.... I said it was Sketchy, it still has a bad right side ball joint. I made my own bushings for the ends and that got rid of high speed uncontrolability but its still not right, its like driving an old chevy with all the play in the steering and i dont believe its the box, i think its in the steering rods.. also have a bad vibration above 65 and it gets worse the faster you go so i think its either an unbalaced drive shaft or the rear end, I still need to get it up on a lift, just dont have to time. hopefully I can get it over to see an acquaintance of mine Eric Scarlett who is a extrodinary fabricator and we can sort it out.

After thats all done and it will go into a corner nicely i will work on a better way or doing the headers so they run the right way and also supercharging it, that ought to be real fun.

• 4 weeks later...

So started working on the front end this weekend.

started with the basics, ball joints and bump steer spacers, thanks karnutz for the parts.

DSC_0068.jpg

Then moved to the worn out ball joints... it still blows my mind with all the work done to this car why not change $16 ball joints :confused:.

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

and finally with the help of a friend Adam (amwalker) we fabricated some adjustable LCA's, and when I say we, I mean mostly him lol... :thumbup:

He says he will be doing a write up on it with part numbers and places to get the parts. it actually turned out really well and was really easy as long as you know someone with welding skills.

then we did a ruff alignment cause i was still hung over and im sure he was tired. took about 7hr with 45 min dedicated to bullshitting with a base cop and 45 min for lunch and various other things. car handles 10X better andI will post some more pics from under the car later.

thanks again Adam for the help.

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

• 2 months later...

Got some work done over Christmas holiday. front end no longer bounces all over the place took the rear springs and put them on the front and bought new longer rear springs. softend the rate up a bit, but the ride is so much better. i can acually turn in a corner and not bounce through it.

DSC_0036.jpgDSC_0042.jpgDSC_0039.jpg

Also changed the way the air filter and intake was set up. I think its a lot better.

before

DSC_0044.jpgDSC_0046.jpg

after

DSC_0050.jpgDSC_0054.jpg