Good rat rod forum/site?

Well, I picked up my latest project... Something I'll probably get half done and then switch back to something else like all my other projects :) I got an early-mid 30s Chevy cab, doors, and front clip I'd like to make a rat rod out of. Someone also gave me a flathead v8 I'd like to stick in there... I've been looking for a decent rat rod site so I can get ideas for a frame and suspension, but haven't been able to find anything very informative (nothing like Ratsun anyway :D).

I'm picking the body up tonight, I'll post some pictures when I get it home.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did check that one out, but it didn't seem there was very much useful info that pertained to me at this point in the game. Anyway, picked the truck up and brought it home... The guy says it's a 30, but I thought I recalled 29-30 trucks being more square than this one, so I'm thinking it's more like a 32-34? Can anyone confirm? Here are some pics:

rat001.jpg

rat003.jpg

rat004.jpg

From what I've seen with the old fords and internationals the back window is relatively small. I think your metal that holds the glass is up against the pallets I believe, and it seems to be smaller in size. Now the fords and internationals I'm referring to are from the very late 20's to mid/upper-mid 30's, like so:

f1002901a.JPG

This pictures below are of a 1928 1-ton Ford:

22-1.jpg

22-4.jpg

So chances are your guy may be right about the date!

I bet you could use some of the parts in that yard up there!!

looks like it's kinda beggin to be on a 620/720 frame. You could still use the flathead if you really want and you could have disc brakes :D

I see lots of chopping and welding in your future.

True! And somewhere around here is a thread that mentions building a traditional street rod on a 620 frame. Here it is!

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=3454

Now you just have to locate the plans!

I was thinking to use a small truck running gear like Dean did using the Datsun frame... I have a Chevy Luv running gear I can get for free from my cousin, but if I remember right, I think it's got strut towers, similar to a 240z, or 510, were the 620 has none that I can remember... I really like how the front suspension looks on that coupe on the 620 frame though! Looks sharp... Maybe I'll see if I can track down a 620 frame... Thanks for the info guys!