White smoke from tailpipe?

fisch

My tail pipe still has small puffs of white smoke coming out of it even after it should be well warmed up. And little droplets of water also spatter out. But it looks like water and not coolent. (I am running Prestone 50/50)

I've read enough to know that for a little while after startup you can get the white smoke, and it is condensation clearing out usually. But it is suppose to clear up after you are warmed up. And I drove it 10 miles.

The truck is running pretty smooth overall, and the coolent level doesn't seem to have dropped.

Reason to worry? Or just keep an eye on the coolent level and watch?

Sorry for all the questions today y'all, but it means I am actually driving it!!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does it smell like??? oil ,coolant? could be time for a valve job or a head gasket pull the valve cover and check what the oil looks like if it resembles a starbucks mocha its the head gasket

What does it smell like??? oil ,coolant? could be time for a valve job or a head gasket pull the valve cover and check what the oil looks like if it resembles a starbucks mocha its the head gasket

I'd say it is more on the sweet side of smelling if anything. Which leads me to think it is coolent? But to my inexperienced nose, it just smells like exhaust. If I put my hand in front of the exaust cloud the liquid that collects is clear in color.

I've heard if it is oil you get blue smoke, and if it is gas it is black?

Man.. kinda a bummer, I just wanted to drive it... enjoy it, for a little while before I dig more... alas.

Interesting. I just looked back there after letting it warm up alot to do some carb adjustments. And there was no white smoke or water droplets.

But I swear it had to be pretty warm after that 10 mi drive I had earlier, and I still saw smoke, BUT I had shut it down and restarted a couple minutes later, and that's when I saw the smoke. However it isn't like 10 min had passed or anything. How long does it take condensation to form? Depends on the weather I guess. Weird.

So my question is, if it was a head gasket and there was coolent getting into the system, wouldn't the white smoke always be there? OR can it sometimes be there and sometimes not?

Fisch do you have a working temp. gauge & is it stock or an aftermarket one? Id keep an eye on that the next time you drive it. Normal running temp. is like 180-190ish. On a stock gauge having the needle go halfway is normal once its warmed up. Water coming from the tailpipe i heard is a good thing & shows a strong motor. Do the above mentioned things & let us know :cool:

You didn't mention what the weather conditions were like. White smoke is pretty normal by-product of condensation during cold and humid weather. If it were a head gasket -- you'd smell it. Also, it wouldn't correct itself. I wouldn't worry much. Just keep an eye on the coolant level and the temp gauge.

Thanks guys. I will keep an eye on it for sure. It was a nice day weather wise today, but sprinkled a little as late afternoon hit.

I think I am being a bit paranoid as this is the first I am really driving it, and it is the first vehicle I have resurected from a 10 year hibernation. So every little thing appears to be making me jumpy.

The exhaust is smelly, but my nose thinks it just smells like exaust, and isn't skilled enough to tell the difference. Stronger than the wife's Mazda MPV for sure.

Saddly the temp guage in non operational. Neither is the gas guage. I've cleaned the contacts on teh back of the guage cluster alas, still nada. (Even filed the connectors, and made sure the ground at the gas tank was working. Nothing.)

Hainz, I am actually scared to put a wrench on the intake after breaking every bolt on the t-stat housing! But you're right, I should gve it a shot. I will pull the plugs and see if there is anything there too.

I remember when I got my 521 on the road again after driving the 620 forever it was a bit sketchy.The brakes suck,the tranny sucks and it rides like a brick with brick tires.But you get used to it and still my favorite datto ever.

Driving in general should keep you cooler.Think clutch fan,dont need a fan with driving air flow.So if it sits and idles for a half hour it will get hotter than a 10 mile drive.A weber will probably run a bit rich on a stock L16 anyways too.Watch the fluids,listen for prominent knocks and maybe check the hose from the valve cover for oil seepage.

So like they say,keep an eye on it.I think you will learn to trust it,.. but......dont.:rolleyes:

you can also do a quick compression check..just to make sure and check your valve cover cap..if you start seeing milky substance then your headgasket is gone. But I have a feeling it's cold where you are at.

Great advise on living w/ a 521 datsunfish, thanks man! I need to actually get a hose to go from the top of my valve cover to the filter of the carb. The weber is set up for one, just gotta get the hose.

Sweet smell and white smoke, is probably a tiny coolant leak. Here's what I would do:

* Keep an eye on the radiator level, like every single morning check it before you drive it

* Re-torque head bolts

* re-torque intake bolts (if coolant goes through yours)

Bluish-white smoke is oil burning (from valve wear or piston ring wear). This smoke doesn't evaporate but disappates into the air eventually.

White smoke is water vapor and should evaporate soon after it leaves the tailpipe.

Black smoke is faulty burning: Carb or ignition problems.