My VG30 510, to fix or to sell

Ok, here is my dilemma. I have a 72 Datsun 510 with a VG30 carb conversion. This is the 2nd time that my motor has quit on me, since the swap. The motor is totally rebuilt. The first time I ran it with Z31 comp cams. It fired right up rumbling like a dream. After 5 miles it quit and wouldn’t start, though it would stumble a little and try. I did a compression check and it had almost none (20psi). I took the heads off, and figured out a few valves were bad/bent. Funny thing is this is supposed to be a noninterference motor! I decided to put stock cams in, and make sure the motor was totally stock to eliminate any possible issue. Now the 2nd time out and the same thing happened. Both times the timing belt and timing was done right, according to the factory manual and was rechecked 3 times by me and a friend.

I am running a holly 2 barrel 500cc and a Saudi distributor. The car has a painless 12 circuit harness, the OE one was removed. I ditched efi for the simplicity (so I thought). I have come to a few conclusions, ONE the motor is cursed, rip it apart, convert to efi and pay someone to wire it up (I suck at wiring and really hate it). Two I sell the thing, cut my losses and move one.

If I go with option one, know anyone in the CA bay area that is good at and willing to wire up a motor if I do the install?

Below are a few stats about the car.

All Autometer gauges

Griffin aluminum radiator

Battery in trunk

Painless 12 circuit wiring

VG30 motor and trans

Autopower roll cauge

Vinal (fake leather) seats with 4 point harness

Stock suspension and rear end, was planning those being the next step.

• Like 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes it is in totally stock form.. minus the carb conversion. could be possible but that would mean the timing is off, way off. And im pretty darn sure it isnt, 2nd its a non interference motor so even if it were off the valves should not be able to contact the piston

The manual I was refering to said it wasnt... but if it is, i dont think i did the timing belt wrong. I have never had an issue when I did my tacoma or integra. I also cant say I am to thrilled on tearing it down a third time to do this all over. just trying to figure out the next step... I am pretty sure no one here is going to advocate selling it...

I am just running through the options of going with a efi motor, l20... having a pretty lawn ornament

The manual I was refering to said it wasnt... but if it is, i dont think i did the timing belt wrong. I have never had an issue when I did my tacoma or integra. I also cant say I am to thrilled on tearing it down a third time to do this all over. just trying to figure out the next step... I am pretty sure no one here is going to advocate selling it...

I am just running through the options of going with a efi motor, l20... having a pretty lawn ornament

Do you have another manual to look at?

It was tight and right where I left it when I put it on... a big part of me want to get a vg30dett and have someonelse wire it... it will have plenty of power. I'm great with fabricating things, though I was good with motors (this is the first time I'm stumped), always hated and terrible with electrical.

Did you cam gears come loose during break in? Did you do a proper break in? Are the heads shaved?

Just trying to narrow it down a bit. As for a VG30DETT, I would not do that. Too big and you can make the same or more power with a VG33E

Yea head was decke, cam gears were solid... break in procedures seem to vary a lot depending who you talk to.. but it was idled for a while, timed, and driven under 3k rpm ... how I have usually broke in motors.

The vg33 is vary similar, and there are other reasons why I don't want it. If I an going to change to a new motor plus efi I would want the dett... gotta reasons, but I'm on my phone and its to much to type.

Now that I think of it there was one thing I didnt touch personally. I had the block bored 40 over a long time ago and new poistons and rods put in. Makes me wonder if somehow though piston had the wrong vlave dipressons or maybe put in backwards?

After some thinking I am starting to lean more towards a new motor. Scrap this one and start over on a clean slate.

I can`t type good enough to describe how to do this so i went and found a couple links for it,,,,pretty common method on big cammed engines...

Using clay to check valve clearance

http://www.racingheadservice.com/Information/Technical/PistonToValveClearance.asp

http://www.centuryperformance.com/checking-and-setting-piston-to-valve-clearance-spg-144.html

Seems like a caveman way to do it but it does give pretty accurate results..

• Like 1

I will look eventually when I pull it out. I am looking at pulling the motor within a week... I have now calmed down and stoped yelling at the car, remembering its a project. However I am planning on buying a SR20DET to install. I will start making a list of what needs to be done tomorrow.

So it looks like it will be the SR20DET bellow is a list of parts and my guess... also a preview of what I will be selling.

Buy:

SR20DET Motor, Trans, Wiring, & ECU $2,100

510 SR20DET down pipe 3" $320

t25/28 Turbo 3" vband $135

TURBO ON TOP MANIFOLD $450 May Not Need

TURBO OIL AND WATER LINES $136

External fuel pump $150

Can-Am Wiring box $150

Ceramic Coating by RS performance $200

Misc Fuel Lines and fitings $200

Total $3,841

Piping the intake/intercooler $200?

Resize Driveshaft $200?

Sell:

Lightend Flywheel $200

Clutch and preasure plate $200

Transmission rebuilt $600

VG30 Headers $200

Motor Mounts $100

VG30 Oil Pan $150

VG30 Carb Intake $200

Saudi Distributer $350

MSD 6-AL and Coil $100

$2,100

Anyone in the CA bay area good with wiring? Either shops or members, pay in cash and or beer

• Like 1

Bottom mount turbo manifold is cooler.... just sayin'

Agreed. I have a cracked SR510 bottom mount that could be rewelded.

OP if you need any assistance with your new setup I have a couple good contacts in Santa Rosa for fabbing and SR20 stuff. lmk...