Don't smoke, Don't leak miracle in can?

whitey01

My Datsun burns and leaks a lot of oil. I tightened up the bolts around the oil pan and it leaks a little bit and burns a lot of oil. When I go up a steep hill I leave a cloud of white smoke behind me. Is there a don't smoke, don't leak miracle in can that I can add? The truck runs good other than that. If I would use a full tank of fuel when I am on empty I would be out of oil.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that motors diein......

as far as the burning oil goes its either shot rings or bad vavle stem seals.

if its the seals you can just pull the head and replace them.

if its the rings you need a rebuild.

and for the leaks..... new gaskets.

theres no magic..... only mechanics.

Thanks for all the quick replies I am learning to repair my Datsun but no were close to rebulid change head or oil pan gasket. somtimes the coolent looks like coffee with a lot of cream probley going to not drive it much for now .

I'll take it if you don't wanna fool with it.

thats a blown headgasket.

that motor is toast bud, needs a rebuild.

No for sell eee

If it is toast an needs a rebulid what would happen if I countiune to drive it. the truck still gets up an go. probley last 100k more. can I do a rebulid or replace when dead

No for sell eee

If it is toast an needs a rebulid what would happen if I countiune to drive it. the truck still gets up an go. probley last 100k more. can I do a rebulid or replace when dead

Well, it is dead. But it runs. Therefor LIVING DEAD DATSUN

You can probably drive it forever as it is. There's a little old lady in town who has been driving a Tercel wagon with a blown head gasket for at least the 7 years I've lived here. Keep the water and oil topped and it should last till at least the end of the world.

White smoke = coolant

Black smoke = fuel

Blue smoke = oil

I have found the above to be true except for one instance, I had a wore out engine exibiting the same symptoms as the original poster of this thread, in the morning when I had skipped adding oil the day before, and had to add two quarts or more to the cold engine that morning, when I would start it, it would start clean, and then start smoking a thick white smoke, very thick white smoke, and this was oil I was burning, after all the oil that got threw the valve seals and guides burnt itself out, it cleared up and would burn clean again.

It did not happen when the engine was warmed up before adding the oil, like when I would go on a short trip, you know how it is when you fill the tank with gas, and the engine with oil, then drive till the tank is almost empty, fill the tank with gas, add 3 or more quarts of oil, start it up and continue on the trip without any smoking at all, I thought that one day it would run out of oil before gas, but I didn't let it get that far.

No for sell eee

There is a point where you just have to do something about the issues, you can try to fix the leaks, but if the engine is blowing the seals out because of excessive blow-by, then it is time to fix it.

No for sell eee

No way in that shape that motors even gonna make it another 1K miles with a headgasket problem.

Eventually, the headgasket is going to be virtually useless and you'll loose compression. Not only that, the water/oil mix is thinning out the oil, and you'll likely see some rods poking through the block.

to put it in laymans terms.... your motors fucked.

lol its not going to last 100k with all the blessings you can muster....

its a miracle of the datsun gods that thing even still runs quite frankly

Those guys are noobs. Run it till it cums chocolate milk out of the carburetor.

But seriously you should stop driving it now before there's any serious damage. Park it till you're ready to tear into it. Drain the hot chocolate and give it some fresh fluids. You don't want water in the oil while it sits. A full gasket an seal set, piston rings, bearings, and a carb rebuild kit will run about 175$ shipped. I use ROCKAUTO.COM In comparison... I had a 67 Cadillac that sat with water in the oil due to a bad timing cover seal. Rebuild kit was 1399$ plus machine work. Not that I paid that. I just sat it in, smoking blunts and pretending there was bitches.

And I was their pimp.

My ex-girlfriend's father ran an old Opel which smoked bad. He put Bardahl "No Smoke" in it often, and it seemed to help some. But mechanics say "No Smoke" contains resins which gum up the rings eventually...