New ratsun n00b

Hi, I'm bananahamuck's son. i have a 79 510 goon. i have been going to ratsun meets with my dad for a while now, and i just made an account. I finally got it ready to go last month. took it to the Planet of the Datsuns. its got a rebuilt L20, with 2 and a half inch straight pipe to the back with a flowmaster in the middle. its been lowered in the back 2 or 3 inches with blocks and 2 and a half in the front. The car was only $100 when i had my dad buy it for me, and all the gauges work! :thumbup: I've been driving it to school and it sticks out in in the school parking lot :lol:

datsun522315.jpg

datsun522309.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Badass car you have there. These second gen 510's are pretty rare. (At least here in AZ lol) I'm also a proud owner of one. Though mines a 78 sedan. Wish more of these cars existed cause it's a bitch to find parts. Plus there awesome looking. Haha. But hey I read your build thread and I'm looking to convert mine to stick also. Got any recommendations though on were to get a the pedal unit/ assembly? I've had no luck finding one. Thanks.

If interested heres some pics of mine.

http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l504/1982antihero/78%20510/?albumview=slideshow

Badass car you have there. These second gen 510's are pretty rare. (At least here in AZ lol) I'm also a proud owner of one. Though mines a 78 sedan. Wish more of these cars existed cause it's a bitch to find parts. Plus there awesome looking. Haha. But hey I read your build thread and I'm looking to convert mine to stick also. Got any recommendations though on were to get a the pedal unit/ assembly? I've had no luck finding one. Thanks.

If interested heres some pics of mine.

http://s1121.photobu...mview=slideshow

79 wagons are a rare breed. im not really sure where you would get one, but the pedal units are interchangeable if you wanted to change from auto to manual, which is good :D

I think its cool.

good car to learn on.

Only thing I dont like about the later L motors was the masty exhaust manifolds. Makes it harder to swap out the heads ect......hard to get the intake exhaust bolts.

More pullution shit to get rid off

the head on it now is a A87 peanuthead and it has the three prong square exhaust manifold so the bolts are tucked up behind it

79 wagons are a rare breed. im not really sure where you would get one, but the pedal units are interchangeable if you wanted to change from auto to manual, which is good :D

Thanks good to know. Just gotta hunt one down lol. What about the tranny tunnel? Did you have to modify that at all? Also out of curiosity when the car was the 3 speed auto were able to get past 60mph? Cause with mine once I hit 60mph the engine sounds like it can't go any faster without over revving the engine and resulting in a blown engine.

The car was only $100 when i had my dad buy it for me, and all the gauges work! :thumbup:

I have the same disease you do. I brag to all my friends when i get basic things working on my $100 710. "Hey you guys check it out, my wipers go fast enough to drive in the rain now" You've got me beat in the gauges though, my speedo doesn't work :P

Thanks good to know. Just gotta hunt one down lol. What about the tranny tunnel? Did you have to modify that at all? Also out of curiosity when the car was the 3 speed auto were able to get past 60mph? Cause with mine once I hit 60mph the engine sounds like it can't go any faster without over revving the engine and resulting in a blown engine.

i've never driven it with the auto so i dont know haha...but, you don't really have to modify the tunnel other then cut a hole where the shifter comes out of the floor. and the cross-members are the same. so the auto is the same as a longtail 4 or 5speed out of the older 620s. your driveline will be the right length. that's what worked for my car anyways...

keep the automagic. Makes for easy crusing

If your referring to me about keeping it automatic, then yes I don't mind it being auto, but with the auto the car can only do 60mph max. It shifts to its last gear at around 30-35mph then the engine winds out about 60-65mph. So comfortably the fastest she will go is 50-55mph. Which is no fun at all. I have to avoid all freeways and areas where the speed limit exceeds 50mph.

I have the same disease you do. I brag to all my friends when i get basic things working on my $100 710. "Hey you guys check it out, my wipers go fast enough to drive in the rain now" You've got me beat in the gauges though, my speedo doesn't work :P

This car is the first car he has " owned " that he actually paid anything other than licence fees ..The bronco II he drove while on his learners permit till a couple weeks before school started ( threw rod ) was free.. And the 85 celica he got free about a week later and drove till a couple weeks ago,, Had been sitting in a shed for 3 or 4 years because nothing worked normally . ( toggle switches for lights even ) because of rust. So like you he savors even the simplest things ,,like a radio that plays music, headlights that dont just stop working cuz the wire fell off battery,,and a speedometer that reads close to correct and not vary-ing speeds of wrong.. :lol:

And he hasn`t even had his license for a whole year yet..

• 2 months later...

I have a 79 510 coupe on custom lowerin springs made by some coil shop dwn the street with 13" western or wantanbes not too sure 4speed stick original interior everything works wipers cigarette. Lighter with. E30 projector headlights paints. Not to great primered white, l20 with 2 1/2 inch piping with high flow cat (smog) stock muffler..

I'm looking to find some lips like ur wagon

I'm looking to find some lips like ur wagon

the lip i have is off a 82-87 Ford Ranger, i'm not really sure which year it is. (it was just laying around in my dads garage)

Do you have a better picture of your car? (i think you have the same rims as me)

6028-1984-Ford-Ranger.jpg

The lip on the truck is like the one on my car.