New here, trying to refresh my 1967 411 wagon

miamizx

This is my new to me 1967 411 wagon. It was my father in laws and has been sitting for a couple of years. Its in pretty decent shape as you can see in the pics. He got it from a friend of his but they dont know the history of the car.

Since I know next to nothing on datsuns any info you can give me on this car would be cool, from what I can tell its a 411. No clue if all the parts and trim are stock or even from the correct model/year. Also don't know what engine it has, 1600? stock?

I'm no mechanic but I'm pretty handy, first thing I'm going to tackle is a good detail inside and out. Then the engine, It starts but needs a shot or two of carb spray. Next is the brakes, pretty shot. If anyone has suggestions on where to source parts is greatly appreciated, also any tips or common knowledge about this car.

Thanks and great site, some really nice cars here.

datsun1.jpg

datsun2.jpg

datsun3.jpg

datsun4.jpg

datsun5.jpg

datsun6.jpg

datsun7.jpg

datsun8.jpg

datsun9.jpg

datsun10.jpg

datsun11.jpg

datsun12.jpg

datsun13.jpg

datsun14.jpg

datsun15.jpg

datsun16.jpg

datsun17.jpg

datsun18.jpg

datsun19.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This photo shows it is a 411

L for Left-hand drive

P means premium engine, which is the J13. That's what originally came with this car. The J15 looks the same, whatever it is will be stamped on the side of the engine.

RL411 would be the R16 engine.

datsun9.jpg

Such a nice car. I have never seen a US car with the Bluebird on the steering wheel. Plus your cluster is not the stock 411 cluster. not sure if you may have a delux model or the cluster is from another vehicle. Really nice car....I want it! Oh, I have parts too, been selling 411 parts for over 25 years.

Had a few minutes over the weekend to mess with the car a bit. Something weird is happening with the head and tail lights, when the lows are on the front right light doesn't work but when I put the highs on they all turn on except the front left. Also the rear left reverse light turns on when the lights are on.

There is a small play in the stearing and the brakes have to be pumped a couple of times to get any decent braking.

Other than that the car drives great!

I need the hood release knob, cabin light bulb (will take the entire housing) and right rear tail light.

Not a whole lot of free time to work on this with a 2 year old and a 2 week old son... Thanks for all the comments and help!

datsun20.jpg

datsun21.jpg

datsun22.jpg

datsun23.jpg

the headlight issue may be a bad bulb or a bad ground. also check the relay on the fender. its on the pass. side and has 7 wires in it. if it is bent on the contacts that may explain no low beams. the reverse light is simply that your inner bulb and reverse bulb are swapped. since you see the inner driver side light isnt lit. for the hood release knob, they dont come off and were molded on. once broken they arent reparable. you can replace the whole cable with a universal choke cable from autozone and it looks ok. the light, lense is next to impossible to find. i have a 521 light and they are close in shape and have the same mounting, once its on you cant tell its not right.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, have a 2 year old and a month old so time is very limited. Haven't touched the car since last weekend, progress is going to be painfully slow but I'll keep everyone updated.

Don't think the plate has anything to do with the car, my father in law is cuban and the gentelman he bought it from had it already in place. Get lots of questions about it around here.

I'll see if I can get the light issues sorted this weekend.

The differences noted are most likely due to the Cuban license plate. If delivered to Cuba the dash would have been metric. The RL411 was an [nominal] all SAE fastener car with the exception of the metric nuts on the factory battery clamps and depending on the date of production the screws holding the back plate on the water pump can be either 1/4 inch or 6 mm. The hood release cable pull is, in fact, replaceable. The shaft is threaded the same SAE thread as any common household drawer pull and has a set screw hidden on the under side. Find the set screw by touch and remove it. Unscrew what is left of the tee handle, go to Home Depot and find a black anodized drawer pull of whatever configuration pleases you[anodized will outlast any plastic pull] and screw it on to the shaft. No set screw but you aren't going to twist to release the hood anyway. Being low below the dash, and since almost nobody knows what a 411 hood release pull looks like, you are ready to go.

• 4 weeks later...