Rally's it's not a datsun and travels thread

Ok so the other day I was pondering what do do next in life after Maui and I came up with why not drive a _____ across ____ and check out all the _____ along the way? But I needed a good road trip route and vehicle and cause and and and. With the recent sale of crusty the roach and the pending sale on the ct90 I figured instead of dumping more money into tacos and dirt bikes why not save up for a road trip?

If you were to take a road trip (starting in Wa state) where would you go and what would your vehicle of choice be? What would you see and why too? Just getting some ideas and hopefully some good road trip stories. I like the year from today goal of giving myself a year exactly to do something. Last year it was move to Maui and I did a year to the day move here,

I was living out of said van

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/photo.php?fbid=2468731030586&id=1021643323&set=t.100000431860969&__user=100000431860969

And cruised a bit of Washington in said van number 2

0620012126.jpg

0402012148.jpg

For the record the westfalia was FAR more comfortable and spacious even though it was half the size of the falcon. Plus the vanagon was easier to drive and got better mpg

Any recomendations? I am leaning towards a diesel vw fox wagon or a Subaru wagon of some kind. The road trip would be for over a year if all went according to plan.

I would like to follow the coast down through Oregon and California possibly jag into Baja California then back up through Nevada to lake Tahoe and back up north to north Dakota for more money making.

Any ways to make cash on the road?

There are a lot more details in the plans like only driving in 100 mile stretches at a time and staying for 5 days to a week or more at each destination.

Want to hit atleast 25 states. Budget will be 5k for a camper/ car give or take 5-10k in gas and food/ repairs and 5k for fun along the way. The girl and I should be able to bank 20k in a year easy enough. We managed 17 working part time minimum wage jobs and I'm putting away a stead 1.5 k a month now I don't have a datsun eating pay Checks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that's more question than i've ever thought about.

In the spring of 1991 I went from WA to Tennesee and back again. Took the southern route going down was nice, through Lake Havasu and Texas then came back through Highway 50 (Dodge City, Montrose, Reno). Was cold.

I have like a shit ton more questions too :P and those are all stops I'd definitely want to check out along the way. Is there any good causes to support or maybe some good I can get out of this?

Paint stop Kony on the hood

Profit?

A food drive or something would be cool or a documentary or something but the human subjects review paper work is a nightmare and who carries canned food on them? How does one go about getting sponsorships/ advertising for a company? Sooo many questions come to mind

And ggzilla what did you drive in and how did it do? What worked and didn't and what about sleeping etc?

Dunno about sponsorships.

I drove my V8 baby-LTD but then gas was only $1.10/gallon. Today I'd take some 40mpg vehicle. Sslept in my car mostly -- except for when it was snowing (New Mexico, Colorado, etc). I picked brightly lighted areas like 24-hour grocery parking lot or hospital parking lot.

I only drove during daylight hours because I wanted to see/experience the country. That worked out well. I made whatever side trips I felt like, went to the Grand Canyon and Carlsbad Caverns, both are recommended. But the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado was just as impressive. Ate alligator at a restaurant on the bayou. Stuff like that. Spent a couple of days in Kansas cutting trees.

Highway 50 -- America's loneliest road. I got outta Dodge and took Highway 50 all the way to California.

I've been to lake Tahoe (made the drive non stop crammed in a four runner backseat with ski gear the week before I moved to Maui lol.) I personally liked lake Tahoe. It had a pretty cool nightlife vibe to it plus I love snowboarding and surfing aint got shit on it lol. I like the relaxed asfuck lifestyle here and it's really something to truly appreciate but there is so much to see still and I don't want to settle down into a career and quit the game young. I'm only 19 and really haven't seen much outside the pacific northwest and Maui. It would be nice to get out and go before I lock in at some career type job. Maybe find something I like better along the way too.

Anyone a wwoofer on here? Could be a possible option to generate some income while away,

I actually have most of my dream road trip planned. Problem is I don't have the time, since it would take a couple months and I can't leave my job that long and hope to get it (or one like it) back.

I'm a Naval History buff. So the trip would have a purpose- to visit every Naval ship museum in the lower 48 States. Since most of the museums are on the coast, but not all, the trip would essentially be a "Great Loop" of taking I-5 down to San Diego, I-10 across to Florida, I-95 North to New Hampshire, and I-90 back West. There of course would be major diversions, since not all museums are on the direct route. The most inland ones are in Muskogee, OK, Little Rock, AR, and Omaha, NE. The rest are at least in a State covered by the great circle or very close.

I'd take whatever I felt could make the trip- probably a truck, with a canopy on it.

The route we have planned is kinda like that but more of a deflated balloon shape than a loop lol. Thats a cool goal. With seniority comes better vacation time lol. We are dodging most of middle America cause what's there? :P I would love to have a vw caddy diesel and throw a camper in the bed or get a wagon. Any good mpg reliable vehicle is in the runnings at this point. Since it's not all continuous long haul driving it shouldn't wear too hard on it (knock on wood) and I still plan on changing oil every 2k miles and new filters etc too so it's all gravy. I wouldn't mind a vw but the constant adjustments and all the various flaws in the engines kinda makes me leery. I've heard good and bad things about the old air cooled engines

Don't forget the Colorado rockies. Grand Junction has Colorado National Monument. Glenwood springs, us 550 million dollar highway. You could easily spend a month and still not see 25% of Colorado. Durango, Telluride, Silverton.

I see you had a scooter, consider a couple of those so you can get off road a little.

It's been a while since the $1.10 gas and the interstate system in the mtns have been completed. I think ggzilla would be pleased with I-70 through Glenwood canyon.

Check out this couple: HomeontheHighway.com

My vote for a vehicle would be a 4cy 4runner or a Pathfinder. Only reason I would do toyota over pathy would be for parts availability.

Hell yeah that is an epic blog! I would love to do that. My parents have a v6 four runner and that thing went all sorts of places a 16 year old shouldn't have been driving. Lol except it got the worst gas Milage ever. Believe it was a 92 and it was a fuel guzzling slug

If I had it my way we would be touring on ct90/ ct110s. I have no doubt I could make the trip full throttle and flogging the shit out of one of those type of bikes and it would keep on ticking, but the girl wants a roof and comfy seat. We take adventure rides to the other side of the island and it's a blast but 4-5 hours on a moped is butt torture lol

area 51 roswell new mexicao ftw! also, kony is old new,s not saying he's not bad, just old news. make up the most ridiculous cause you possibly can, how about to stop discrimination against men with micro penis's? like myself.

I know it's the best bullshit cause I could come up with. Lol

"if this vans a rockin... Dont discriminate"

Maybe I could milk it or what it's worth and drive a datsun with a huge rat and wrenches on the hood and for every 1-5 dollar donation you can write on the van? Or a photobooth and sell pictures next to some gimmick? Stop pedobear group? Always a good reference to sketchy vans. Or maybe save up one jar as the 'free candy' fund? So many ideas lol

Here's three vehicles. All different sides if the spectrum.

Chevy Astro van that's all wheel drive

Toyota 4runner '86 or newer

Buick Lesabre 32 mpg and roomy

I'd try and find places that weren't tourist traps. Cost of stuff would be normal. Might try and stay away from the coast. West or east. Gas prices are cheaper in the mid states.

Larry

Here's three vehicles. All different sides if the spectrum.

Chevy Astro van that's all wheel drive

Toyota 4runner '86 or newer

Buick Lesabre 32 mpg and roomy

I'd try and find places that weren't tourist traps. Cost of stuff would be normal. Might try and stay away from the coast. West or east. Gas prices are cheaper in the mid states.

Larry

I have been looking at astro vans and that could work especially for the price. I think I am leaning towards a vanagon diesel or tdi or Subaru swapped volkswagen camper van. Something with a shower will probably be appreciated though so maybe a Toyota chinook camper? But then it's kinda high profile for stealth camping, guess there are lots of truck stops though and can both shower there and catch some sleep. I'm going to up and sell everything then start Saving up. If anyone has a good road trip vehicle i would maybe be interested in it or knows of any good places to stay I'll put them on the map along the cruise.

How about some of the places all

Rule number one shudders.... PASS hahaha. Idk how that is going to help me any lol maybe just come up with a funny sign though? Definitely not the same sign as George carlin had though but something that will make people want to donate cash to the cruise. Lol maybe a sign that reads help feed the homeless and just name my van Homeless lol

I just moved to Portland from Alabama back in October and drove the whole thing in my '95 extended cab XE. Threw a camper shell on the back, hooked it up to a U-Hual and off I went. 2800 miles in 4 days, so it wasn't really a pleasure trip other than driving that truck, which of course I love to do. My route was Montgomery to Ft. Worth, to Albuquerque, to Salt Lake, to Portland. Grossed around 75K and got 17mpg. Not bad for a 17 year old 4x4 on the original KA.

Good times.

Here is plan one to make cash (in the works) sell insta photos next to some gimmick (just hashed this out not the final product)

c767f32c.jpg

And I have officially decided on a Subaru forester wagon because it will hold it's resale value and they are reliable cheap and one of the cooler station wagons plus awd for snow etc will come in handy. Or I would be all over a loyal wagon those are so beast.

find a way to keep most of rear together and create a sleeper space. Anyone know any shops that do custom pop top for campers? I feel like there Is a huge market for a Subaru camper conversion.

I always thought taking a b210 hatch back and making a tear drop camper would be the tits so that too is an option

I just moved to Portland from Alabama back in October and drove the whole thing in my '95 extended cab XE. Threw a camper shell on the back, hooked it up to a U-Hual and off I went. 2800 miles in 4 days, so it wasn't really a pleasure trip other than driving that truck, which of course I love to do. My route was Montgomery to Ft. Worth, to Albuquerque, to Salt Lake, to Portland. Grossed around 75K and got 17mpg. Not bad for a 17 year old 4x4 on the original KA.

Good times.

I'll be driving my wagon from Boaz, Al to Eugene, Or this August. I guess Oregon is a popular move these days.

I'd suggest a cheap, reliable wagon of some sort. Just make sure you can lay the back seat down flat enough to sleep on. haha Mine's never failed me.