Seriously come on

I remember back about a year and a half or two years ago, I finally joined Nwde after lurking off and on for a few years. When I joined sadly it looked like the board was dying out. Then Jeff (Icehouse) commented about starting ratsun so i joined up here. Originally i joined to read about the KA 620 as i wanted to it myself. Ratsun grew pretty quick but it was very close knit in the sense that people were willing to help answer questions and take criticism as constructive.....

Now Lately i have been watching how the influx of new members and sadly the seeming Exodus of "the old schoolers". It truly has me worried that our community is growing in a very unhealthy way. I for one do not want to see Ratsun die but it is starting to seem a serious possibility then what? Another forum that is okay for a year or two until "people" get to pissed at each other and that one closes?? I have met alot of great people on here and gotten alot of help.. I think we as a community should try to salvage what is left for the future enthusiast, before it is too late.

Seriously people lets all take a moment to look at the whole picture.. Time to put egos aside, and bring Ratsun back to what made it such a great place to begin with. Before it is no more....

Just my .02 for what it's worth

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Shaggs. And you put it very nicely.

I know there is a little more spice of late around here, but I still think that 98% of comments are positive. But I am a cup half full kinda guy. So i could be standing on top of a volcano and not know it!

I like having a mix of personalities. Some of us are a little more gruff than others, but hell that is just like my real family! And it can even be entertaining, to a point. (If you can't guess I was a middle child!)

But when the scales tip to being more trash than treasure. I am sure there will be another spinoff forum. That seems to be the way these things work.

And folks will come and go and come back again. I myself had a period a month or so ago where I was just checking one once a week. (now it is back to being adiction level, so I may have to take another break soon.) But that has little to do with other folks and all to do with my lack of self control!

The funny thing is, I've only ever drivin my truck in the back yard one time. Now that is about to get on the road for real (so close), I am a little worried driving it won't be nearly as cool as my imagination has made it!

But what I guess that says is that what keeps me coming back here is the people more than the truck!

But from visiting other custom, rod, street forums, there still is alot less bravado here, and I love that and hope it stays that way.

To me we're still all eccentric Datsun owners. And an interesting personality seems to come along w/ loving these little gems.

Well what you are needing is....

"Ratsun620"

to be invented, then everything would go back as it was...

I guess the rest of us have no significant input:confused:

RB_Shaggs, well put! I consider myself to be one of the later "old schoolers" that has seen a Huge change here at Ratsun as well. I dont like it but I do like the growth to a point. It does show that our "fever" is spreading.

EDIT: Rusty.....I totaly get your post now....sorry! Thats too funny by the way

I haven't seen much problem with the new schoolers, (dwnshfter excluded) lol, but more pissing amongst the old schoolers myself included.

Most of us joined at the same time, Shaggs, and maybe we all feel like we're too good or don't have time to always help the novice datsun owners. It may come off a little gruff, and maybe we need to remember how much of a novice we all were at one time.

Im as "newschool" as it can get when It comes to Datsuns, in the past couple of weeks sinced I've joined this board I've learned alot that I didnt know about my little truck. I had this same problem with my allwheel drive car club in San Diego, I was there when it was started and I was there when it started to get bad, now that Im no longer in San Diego (or have my subaru anymore for that matter) I pop in on the board to see whats going on, guess what? All the "og" members are gone and the noobs think they know everything. Ratsun is a great place for me because I can use the search feature and find the topic Im looking for...I dont know how many times I've searched and found the answer without having to make a new post. I have seen boards come and go, this one I would like to see stick around because I've been looking for a Datsun Board for about a year before a friend of mine sent me the link to here...Ok end rant..sorry guys

maybe we need to remember how much of a novice we all were at one time.

I completely agree and hell i am still learning more everyday. (granted i need to quit fixing my friends trucks and get mine done) I think the issue is people getting in pissing contests, and not enough comical relief.. If memory serves there were nice little jabs and poking fun at each other within threads that lately people take far to personal.. It's a hobby it is supposed to be fun!!!!

as far as the "new school" vs. "old school" reference.. i was leaning to situations like Ted and Mike and how they feel things are and that they need to take a break because of some drama.. I have met Ted a few times and he is a real nice guy and goes out of his way, and when i typed this it looked like he was over the scene as a whole.. To me that was a little distressing. With Mike i have not had the pleasure to meet but enjoyed his posts (which have gotten fewer and fewer lately)..

I just want to try to keep things "Enthusiast" friendly..

I agree with everything here... I don't know whether to classify myself as old-school or new-school though. I've been here a few months, but I still consider myself a novice as far as Datsuns go. I do appreciate a lot of people on here though... I've gotten a lot of help and managed to figure out a lot since I joined. Looking back, I know I made a few stupid posts without searching, but everyone was really helpful in pointing me in the right direction. Especially Mike (Datzen)... He's put up with a lot of my irrelevant, long-winded questions, and I appreciate that.

It's unfortunate that there's so much stress on here lately... I know there's no one particular reason for this, but there has been a lot of talk about the number of "useless/repetative" threads lately, so maybe people just aren't taking the time to read and think about individual posts, and something that was meant to poke fun gets taken seriously, and that's what causes problems. I think most people take it seriously when someone starts wasting their time. Perhaps this is not the real reason, and perhaps I'm just saying this because I've been on here for a while already, but what if we put in a short waiting period to try and discourage repetative posts by new users? Nothing too long, maybe a day or two? Something that gives them access to all the forums and the search, but not to post. Perhaps they could also PM people, in order to allow them to use the buy and sell section of the site without waiting.

Just an idea... hopefully someone comes up with some reason why it sounds either great or terrible...

I hope everyone reads this thread.

I remember when I joined NWDE after lurking for ages.I asked novice questions.I asked about disc brakes on my 521.I got a small ration of shit but it wasnt bad.Mostly posts were ignored if they were stupid.

Since I have joined here it has been pretty smooth up until the past couple months.

If I am around I will answer questions of any nature should I know the answer.I like sharing knowledge even if it is repeated over and over.

Just because you have answered the same question a hundred times does not mean you should be a dick about the search function.Answer it or step back and maybe you will see some of your own previously shared knowledge spark from some one you informed.

I could google for info til my fingers fell off but I would rather feel like part of a community who respects what I am into.

GROUP HUG DAMNIT!:D

I hope everyone reads this thread.

I remember when I joined NWDE after lurking for ages.I asked novice questions.I asked about disc brakes on my 521.I got a small ration of shit but it wasnt bad.Mostly posts were ignored if they were stupid.

Since I have joined here it has been pretty smooth up until the past couple months.

If I am around I will answer questions of any nature should I know the answer.I like sharing knowledge even if it is repeated over and over.

Just because you have answered the same question a hundred times does not mean you should be a dick about the search function.Answer it or step back and maybe you will see some of your own previously shared knowledge spark from some one you informed.

I could google for info til my fingers fell off but I would rather feel like part of a community who respects what I am into.

I agree whole heartedly.

Good discussion, I have been quiet of late too. I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on my little 510 or even share that I got the orange 510 wagon a few weeks ago. It kind of made me shy away from the sharing cause I haven't had anything new to share. Even though I'm a Datsun guy I don't know a lot of part numbers or what's OEM this and that about 510s or 620s but I do know how to make a cool fun care out of a pile of steel. When I see the conversations get so biased toward one engine or another I just kind of stay out of the conversation. I do SRs and RBs, I used to do L series in Zs but have forgotten so much of it I figure someone else has a better answer. I enjoy this forum more than any because its a bunch of hobby guys that aren't trying to be better than this guy or that guy. A really well done project is a beautiful thing to see but not everybody has the money or desire to make every car a show car. Some just want them fast.

Stick with it and we'll keep meeting each other at different events.

Mark... AKA Tiltnose

Well said...and that was my intent on one of my last posts....I was poking fun at the ones who were not searching AND at the ones who were bitching about the non-searching...

...I like the "GROUP HUG" idea!!!!:D

Yeah I always try and answer any question I can, I do hate how on the realm there is always a "has anybody......" I haven't seen it so much on here but I don't venture around as much as I should. Besides that I don't mind repeating myself. I get caught up in work and don't make it on enough. Forums are like text messages, its hard to know if its a friendly stab or an actual asshole haha Maybe thats why they invented smilies :eek:

I agree Ice, it is hard to tell when people are being serious or just joking. People then take what was supposed to be a joke and take it seriously and get offended. And sometimes the smilies make it worse...especially the F U one.

It does seem like things have gotten a little malicious on here as of late, something that really isn't a problem on the510realm, which I tend to frequent more.

But I guess the only real complaint that I have is that I want more 510 stuff...but thats just me.

Ok, while on the throne I was thinking about what makes some of the other forums that I am on so good. And one thing that I see on there that I don't really see on Ratsun is alot of activity from the mods. As opposed to some of the other forums that I am on, it seems like the language here is a little more relaxed, with alot more of the "internet lingo" being used. I don't know...just a thought.

And always remember, the guy who you are arguing with today could be the same guy that has the part that you need tomorrow...

And always remember, the guy who you are arguing with today could be the same guy that has the part that you need tomorrow...

Or busts out some random part for you thats not for any car you've ever owned and expects things to go "all good"? LOL!

This place isn't bad. Go to supraforums.com and see how bad rules can be. Guess it works...I'm afraid to post anything more than a new-guy thread hahah

"hullo everybody, supras rock!"

*random post* "BAN BAN BAN!!!!!"

"oh noes! All I said was HELLO!!?"

You guys are so cute!! I see this kind of thread all the time on all boards, yet they're still up and running....all because....couple members have riff raff amongst themselves? oh GOD our website will diiiiiiiiiiiieeeeee :(:(:(:(:(:(

psst....you guys will be fine, I promise! Now lets all let our balls drop back to normal and hug/kiss/whatever you guys do and make up :D

...but I do know how to make a cool fun care out of a pile of steel.

mmmmm, kustom! :w00t:

thats almost better(& helpful) than then anything else :D

Ok, while on the throne I was thinking about ...

...the guy who you are arguing with today could be the same guy that has the part that you need tomorrow...

thats where the gasket i needed is :lol: