Anyone else ever have there starter fall out?

spudly13

So the last few times i went to start my car it made a bad grinding noise before the motor turned over, but i was in a hurry and never checked it out. then finally i went to start it annnnd nothin. get out and its just hangin there!

Nothing 4 big zip ties couldnt temporarily fix, but it appears the threads pulled out of the tranny, so now i gotta take it apart and either helicoil or drill/tap new holes.

Which method do you think will work better? and

Anyone ever had this happen?

Edit- my guess is it came loose, and my negligence allowed it to flop around and pull out?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't ziptie it unless you want to replace flywheel ringgear to lol

Heli-coil is good enough ... i prefer metal thread inserts instead ...

I certainly would not try to redrill new holes unless that area is cracked or missing?

Ive seen starter threads buttered, but never had stripped out ... i use a touch of anti-seize...

Good luck

Yea, mine has been hanging there in the past, one bolt was missing, but it started sounding funny before it quit working.

Are datsuns talk to us, all you have to do is listen.

All you need to do right now is park on hills, it's easier to start if you roll down a hill, you don't want to have to push it, they are heavy. :lol:

I have drilled & tapped my 78 200sx dogleg on my L18 to a larger bolt with no problems. I also bored out the starter mounting holes obviously, There is plenty of meat on the starter and your only drilling into the bell housing of the tranny. I have taken apart and and drilled several of them, nothing critical your going to hit even if you went clear through the bell.