This is right up there with hoarders..

I hate when you are searching craigslist and you find cars people have bought, completely fucked them up, lost interest and then lists them for way too much money to try and not lose money on a string of poor decisions.

"I've got a <insert make/year/model here> interior removed.. tons of extra parts, little rust, some body work needed, needs paint, engine not in car, must be towed, All parts are here just needs put together (AKA full restore needed).. Price is firm: $<insert ridiculous price>"

First, if you pull everything apart it makes it worth less, not more, and definitely not worth what you bought it for.

Second, If you buy a bunch of parts for it and pile it up with the rest of the parts you ripped out of the car.. it doesn't make it worth more than it would if all the parts were put back together and installed.

Do these people ever sell this crap?

//End

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are like most people when they start such a project the spend a lot on the spare and/or replacement parts and are trying to recuperate the cost, normally a car is worth more in pieces if you sell it piece by piece, but they don't want to part it out.

Also with a lot of people cash talks, you show up with what its actually worth in hand and they will take it.

If they are like most people when they start such a project the spend a lot on the spare and/or replacement parts and are trying to recuperate the cost, normally a car is worth more in pieces if you sell it piece by piece, but they don't want to part it out.

Also with a lot of people cash talks, you show up with what its actually worth in hand and they will take it.

It's worth more in pieces if you are selling the pieces... If you are selling a pile of parts the price goes down. Money talks yes.. But it sucks to see a bunch of rad cars torn to bits and parts lost or broken and then someone try to sell the car for the price that someone would ask for a fully assembled car with those same parts. People, if you buy $1000 rims and put them on your $1000 car, it doesn't make it worth $2000. Doesn't work that way.

Lol or you have people say this "ran last time that it was started but needs a really good tune up to make it drivable", it's $500 obo but when you call there pretty firm with the $500. If it just needed a tune up why wasn't it done the owner could get a lot more for a running vehicle.

Here where I live there's some guy trying to sell 240z/260z engines for like $900+ just for the engine or he wants more for a differential than a transmission.

I'm not sure how everyone feels about prices on datsun pickups, but I've seen beat up 521s on cl that people try and sell for 3 grand. I always wondered if they ever get their asking price for the vehicle. They must play one hell of a waiting game....

My favorite recent Craigslist line was "Runs great! Currently the head gasket is blown and will not start." do they really think someone will fall for that? My other favorite is " just needs a head gasket ($20 to fix) and will run great" yeah that's IF the head isn't warped from you running it overheated till it wouldn't run anymore. And they want blue book for these Junkers.

My 521 was advertised for $1400

I ended up buying it for $900.

69 521, last time it ran was in 2002...

Went out on a limb since I didn't know much about the J13..

ended up being worth every penny.

Here is a example of Douchebag sellers..

If this guy is on Ratsun... i'm so sorry

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2923940787.html

My 521 was advertised for $1400

I ended up buying it for $900.

69 521, last time it ran was in 2002...

Went out on a limb since I didn't know much about the J13..

ended up being worth every penny.

Here is a example of Douchebag sellers..

If this guy is on Ratsun... i'm so sorry

http://sacramento.cr...2923940787.html

what i dont get is why is he saying its a shell when there clearly is a motor in it

There's a guy in Coeur d'Alene trying to sell a goofy shift 5 speed (dogleg) for $350. Works great, was in a 510 in the 80s. I emailed him to ask if it's been rebuilt. It hasn't. He's also trying to sell an R180 diff from a Z car (open) for $400. I decided not to tell him he's smoking crack. Tranny's worth $150 at best if it's working, diff is worth $50. That's about it.

There's a guy in Coeur d'Alene trying to sell a goofy shift 5 speed (dogleg) for $350. Works great, was in a 510 in the 80s. I emailed him to ask if it's been rebuilt. It hasn't. He's also trying to sell an R180 diff from a Z car (open) for $400. I decided not to tell him he's smoking crack. Tranny's worth $150 at best if it's working, diff is worth $50. That's about it.

Reminds me of this ad!

http://medford.craigslist.org/pts/2901122657.html

Try shopping for a dsm. A lot of half ass big dollar parts heaps in that circle.

Before I got into Datsuns I was purely as DSM builder. I had some high number cars for awhile and still work on them regularly as its a main car we work on in my shop. Youre right though, there are a crap-ton of junk DSMs out there. It doesnt help that they regularly fall apart without the owners help of altezza tails, ridiculous body kits, and painted dash panels.

DSM

Driver Slash Mechanic.