Gotta sell the Datto

I have a guy texting me about my 521 and he wants to see if I will take payments. Selling it for 1500 for a strting price. Bad idea to take payments? I just got a message from him saying that he will pay over asking price if I take payments....I don't know it seems sketchy.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive seen a couple people take payments before and it always worked out for them. Im not saying thats the case, because we all theres some jack-holes out there that will screw with you. Two different friends each did it a different way. One kept the title and with a large down-payment, was able to drive the car away. The new owner got the title once it was paid off. The second friend had the ability to still store the car, so with a down-payment he kept it for the new owner and gave it to him once it was fully paid off. Payments could always work, but you have to make sure you can trust the person youre doing that with... and with todays people it keeps getting harder and harder.

We had just worked something out. We are gonna wait a month and he will pay my full asking price...but I do have a couple others that are interested. I know 1500 isn't gonna make me rich but I just need some stability before I can fund a toy. Kind of fallen on hard times, I have another vehicle I just can't afford both at the moment. Its gonna be sad to see my first datsun go, but I know there will be many more in my future :)

Could be sketch, I guess it depends on if you see your glass as half full or half empty. Shit happens and you get a couple of payments and things go bad, loses job, vehicle gets totaled. How do you get the money owed? Or you get the vehicle back and its tore up.

I would write up an agreement and he could make payments until it's paid for then do the exchange. For gods sake don't spend the money and have it safe somewhere in case there is a change of heart on his part. I would also agree that if you change your mind the money or the payments so far are returned. No harm no foul.

I have done the payment thing where I kept the title, it didn't work out that way, never seen anymore money, and I eventually got a notice from a wrecking/towing company of money owed for towing, as the guy had broken down and left it on the side of the road, and if the sale of the said vehicle didn't cover the bill, I would owe the rest.

Also mentioned, was the chance that you could start getting tickets in the mail, parking tickets(good luck with these), photo tickets, ect.

The best way is to get it all at once, unless you make a deal that when they get done paying it off, then they get the vehicle and title, but I would only do that with someone I know and trust to follow threw.

That's my opinion, but it's your life.

• Like 1

I have a guy texting me about my 521 and he wants to see if I will take payments. Selling it for 1500 for a strting price. Bad idea to take payments? I just got a message from him saying that he will pay over asking price if I take payments....I don't know it seems sketchy.

chowda man where is your for sale thread? i can't find it

i'm in the market, and could probably pay you $1500 cash depending on the details. rust, running, back registration etc etc etc.

there are plenty of ways to get screwed selling a vehicle for full cash payment in person. why add the complication?

personally i'd rather hang on to the truck and take a little less cash all at once than risk pretending to be a bank and finance for someone.

if you do it, make a contract. you keep the money, the truck, and the title till 100% payment is made. the cash you take in is documented every time a payment is made and you don't spend a single cent of it. include in the contract that you have the right to refund 100% of payments made if XX time passes with no contact/payment and sell the vehicle to someone else. get an official address where the money is to be sent IN writing.