from lurker to owner

Unkeday

I have been in love with datsun's for several years and have been unable to find one on the east coast that was within my price range. Found this beauty on craigslist in the atlanta area back in 10/2011. The owner says it was parked in his yard 13 years ago and that it hasn't moved since. The price was right but i guess you get what you pay for. Lets just say she's a "fixer upper".

These are the oics for the ad:

3mf3o03l45O65W45S1b9i3b2dcb57dac81b05.jpg

3m33p73oc5O45U35X1b9ia4d162e05a2210e5.jpg

3ka3pd3l35O35X25S4b9i0f0c68fe1a8b1149.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_20111030_135217.jpg

The car was parked down in a gulley beside a storage shed. There was no good way to get to the car so we made due. Initially we tried pulling it up the hill with the pickup we had brought to pull the trailer and it would not budge. Then I hooked up my come-a-longs between a large tree and the 510 and tried winching it into a better position. After moving a few feet my come-a-longs busted. Keep in mind these were not your autozone come-a-longs, these were used to move logs and farm equipment. Yet they were bested by the 510. So with one phone call and a few minutes later our savior arrived.

IMG_20111030_150949.jpg

and we were finally able to trailer the 510

IMG_20111030_151134.jpg

IMG_20111030_151141.jpg

finally some well deserved rest for my "recovery team"

IMG_20111030_151037.jpg

After getting her home I wasn't able to get to working on her right away. After 2 weeks I put aside some time to figure out if the trouble with pulling the car was the rear end locked up or the brake shoes. Fortunately the problem was the brake shoes and after a couple hours and several swings with my BFH I was able to loosen the drums and pull the shoes out.

IMG_20111123_164545.jpg

IMG_20111123_164536.jpg

Brake Shoes = The Bane of My Existence

this build will be a ratsun style. because i don't want to build a trailer queen. i want to get the rust under control but other wise i plan on using an old 1974 ltd hood and trunk for the floor pans and other body repairs. I have located a couple of datsun pickups and a 280zx that i am going tomorrow to negotiate the price on parts.

be careful with all the parts on this car they are one year only on alot of them and not easy to get. Lets see some pictures of the inside.

Let's not scare him off Drew, besides the tail lights, the grille, the dash, rear bumper, and the wipers which are the only 68 only things I can think of off the top of my head but he can always swap any year grille, open up the tail light openings to get newer ones to fit, 69 dash is also interchangeable in it, and any year rear bumper can be swapped on, so besides those dame exposed wipers there isn't that much that is hard to get if he had to.

BTW, congrats Unkeday on a sweet (rare) find!

I think that's a '68. Often the registration reflects the year it was bought and not the model year. Quite rare, and a 2dr. It has many parts that are unique to the '68. Bumper has license light,all other years it was on the body, tail lights, front grill are unique to the '68 model. Most different are the wiper arm placement to the outsides and meeting in the middle of the windshield. Nice find!!!

IMG_20111122_165403.jpg

Welcome! A 68 2-door on the east coast! Great find indeed! You should check out Bob's 68 Rat for inspiration. It started as a parts car' but wound up one of the coolest dimes on Ratsun.

i will get some better pictures of the inside tomorrow. just borrowed the cherry picker from my brother in law so i will pull the motor either tomorrow or thursday. I picked up a lincoln sp 125 + mig welder from a pawn shop yesterday and it seems like it will do the trick. I am going to do some practice welds for the next couple of days and then maybe monday i will start fabricating the floor pans .

metalmonkey i will keep my eyes open for 620 parts when i go to the yard tomorrow. I don't remember if they were 620 or 720s in the yard

Thanks man! I collided with a Scion the other day and need a few small things to get my truck looking right until is settle with insurance. Can't stand my truck looking bad.

Let me know if you need a hand anytime. I'm not too far out of the way. Looks like this is gonna be a breeze for you.

It is a true 68, going by the opposing wipers. That said, it's the rarest of all the 510's originally imported to the US. So it's definitely worth saving. Some later model parts will fit, some won't, but there's enough people around that you should be able to get replacement/patch panels for the car. There's plenty of hoarders who can send you the things you need. Glad to see you're going to save it.

i will get some better pictures of the inside tomorrow. just borrowed the cherry picker from my brother in law so i will pull the motor either tomorrow or thursday. I picked up a lincoln sp 125 + mig welder from a pawn shop yesterday and it seems like it will do the trick. I am going to do some practice welds for the next couple of days and then maybe monday i will start fabricating the floor pans .

I love it when the traditional Rat Rod guys use bits of street signs and random metal to patch something. They just leave the print on there and roll it like a patchwork quilt!

If you don't mind me asking, what did the Lincoln cost you? I've been shopping for a mig and am getting a sense of used prices. A guy near me is selling a Clarke (which gets nice reviews), but I read the brand went bankrupt, and aome consumables for it are NLA.

Nice!!!!!!!!!!

68 2 doors are my favorite :) I own two of them. I like the crazy wipers. I had to do the same thing with both of mine. Floors pretty much gone, same with rockers. Welding is fun though. I enjoy using my Miller 211, very nice machine. I had a Lincoln 120v machine before I bought my Miller.

All 68's 2 doors say they are 69's on the tittle. Kind of annoying but whatever.

Also do you have the original seats? Are they low backs? I've never seen a set of original 68 two door seats. Please say you didn't throw them away yet.