took my foot off the brake and it turned back on

on, off, on, off

i had to pull over i was laughing so hard

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like your brake light switch is shorting out somehow. I doubt just the brake lights coming on would be enough draw to turn the radio off completely.

Mine at idle will make all my headlights dim (yes they are relayed and fresh battery), but that is with a Stereo in the car. 35 Amps is just not enough. Heck my turn signals wreak havoc by making the all the lights get brighter (not dim) every time the lights(turn signals themselves) are actually on.

Sounds like your brake light switch is shorting out somehow. I doubt just the brake lights coming on would be enough draw to turn the radio off completely.

Transistors need at least 10 volts to work. With all the accessories on the battery was probably low. The load from the brake lights probably dropped he voltage below the critical amount to keep the radio on.

Wacky electrical problems are most often caused by bad grounds. What were good grounds when the car left the Nissan factory, can often deteriorate in the 35 or so years since your car was made. And that can be an issue without any modifications by previous owners.

I do not know if your car, (1978 510 Goon?) has an internal or external regulated alternator or not. You tell me. It is also important if it was converted from an external to an internal regulated alternator.

A lot of times when a Datsun is converted to an internal regulated alternator, people forget, or just do not hook the ground wire from the alternator back up correctly.

On my 521, from the factory, the headlights have a separate ground wire from the headlights to the voltage regulator. There is also a separate ground wire from the frame of the alternator to the voltage regulator. But the "minor" lights, front turn, and park, are grounded to the cab. The rear tail lights are grounded to the bed, and other parts like the gas tank are grounded to the frame.

Your car does not have a frame. It is unibody. I think the ground between the body of the car, and the battery could be weak. The more current you try to put through this weak ground, the more the voltage drops going through it. The voltage available to your stereo drops below the minimum needed to keep it on. Using the brake lights, and with a turn signal, adds the additional current to drop the voltage at the stereo below what it needs

Make sure there is a good ground between the body of the car, and the negative of the battery.

Make sure there is a good ground between the alternator, and the negative of the battery. Just because your metal alternator is bolted to the metal engine, do not assume you have a good connection. Add a wire to make sure the connection is good. The wire need to be big enough to handle the full output of the alternator.

We have had this same experience the last two times we've headed to the Tacoma meet in our 521. Pumpkn had to give us a new battery each time for us to make the ~40 mile trip home :lol: We swapped out the external voltage regulator last night and voila! :w00t: