E3 spark plugs - anyone running them?

a.d._510_n_ok

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Waste of money. Look up placebo effect.

I couldn't find anything scientific double blind testing by a consumer testing company. Any increases could be simply attributed to the weather or variances between two dyno pulls. Did that Camaro have new AC Delco plugs in it to begin with?

It's the same with a header or MSP ignition. The more you spend on a shiny 'upgrade' the more you expect. This expectation clouds your observation of the true results. Everyone expects an improvement so there just has to be one.

They work fine! But so do most any brand new plugs.

Not what I read. Corvette guys report engine missing in 1-2 cylinders. Lawnmowers wont start on first pull with them. And I see reports everywhere that they foul really easily. Also, they dont improve gas mileage or power. Stick with some nice NGK's.

The basics of electricity haven't changed.Any "new plug" is a scam.

Yup. Multiple electrodes give the impression that you will get 2-3 4? sparks. Electricity will always select the easiest path to ground. One electrode will always be slightly closer and will get all the sparks. The only possible advantage is that when the electrode erodes down it will jump to the next shortest path.

Snake OIL!!!!

Double-platinum plugs are relatively new and are superior. They don't make more HP, but they last 100,000 miles and continue to make consistent power over the years. They didn't have automotive plugs like that back in the 1970s.

Any claim of more HP is what you should discard, that's a scam.

Corvette guys report engine missing in 1-2 cylinders
When they're new? Or after they have been driven a while?

They all look good in a a quick test. More power than your old used plugs! is what they advertise. What they don't tell you is that soon, they will make the same or less power than the plugs you were using.

Whenever i consider buying anything, I compare user reviews. For example:

* E3 pretty poor reviews - http://www.amazon.com/E3-Spark-Plugs-E3-56-Replacement/product-reviews/B000BPOIB6

* NGK 4-electrode - nearly perfect 5 stars - http://www.amazon.com/NGK-BKR6EQUP-Multi-Ground-Spark-Plug/product-reviews/B000GX9FSY

NGK 4-electrode were Nissan OEM in some models. So you know they work and are not a scam. But not really any better than 1-electrode platinums.

Whenever i consider buying anything, I compare user reviews. For example:

* E3 pretty poor reviews - http://www.amazon.com/E3-Spark-Plugs-E3-56-Replacement/product-reviews/B000BPOIB6

* NGK 4-electrode - nearly perfect 5 stars - http://www.amazon.com/NGK-BKR6EQUP-Multi-Ground-Spark-Plug/product-reviews/B000GX9FSY

NGK 4-electrode were Nissan OEM in some models. So you know they work and are not a scam. But not really any better than 1-electrode platinums.

Are you saying that the 4 electrode plugs work better than a standard NGK plug?

Are you saying that the 4 electrode plugs work better than a standard NGK plug?

On the contrary, I said they are "not really any better than 1-electrode platinums". They were factory fitted by Nissan to some engines. My guess is that they lasted longer than 1-electrode plugs (this was pre-platinum days). Now most automakers specify platinum.

It is my opinion that platinum plugs do not make any more HP than "standard" plugs.

Oh and don't bother with regular platinum plugs. Get double platinum for long life. Or just use standard plugs. Same HP, but the double-plat last far longer. With regular plugs you are supposed gap them once every year or two.

I worked at baxters for a while and I sold my buddy E3's he put them in his 02 wrangler and the melted his head. He sent the plugs to E3, they admited it was their fault and payed for a whole new motor. Another customer of my said they melted his exhaust manifold on his 70 nova. When I worked there I refused to sell them to people. Everyone always came in after powerblock lol

Yup. Multiple electrodes give the impression that you will get 2-3 4? sparks. Electricity will always select the easiest path to ground. One electrode will always be slightly closer and will get all the sparks. The only possible advantage is that when the electrode erodes down it will jump to the next shortest path.

Snake OIL!!!!

This is true. multiple electrodes dont make more spark. But some people would argue that with multiple ground electrodes positioned around the core electrode, and not on top of it, that the spark is exposed to the charge, therefore creating more complete combustion. Same theory as indexing the plugs with shims.

I just run NGK singles, no shims, no voodoo,