Removing motor guide?

socaldatsun

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why you pu;lling motor????????

if 4 speed remove the lower dust cover on trans otherwise thee motor will not come out.

Use a leveler to angle the motor up to clear the steering bar.

I jack up the trans to help angle it out(motor oull only)

I leave the exhaust manifold in the truck and put push off to the side.

use a dig cam to document all the hoses ect to where they go back to.

dont pull a motor just to pull it!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been looking since last night and could not find a guide. Some one did tell me just to disconect the wireing and all hoses, the mounts at the frame point and undo the trans mount and drive shaft. from their is it a slant and pull out?

Drain coolant, store in safe place away from pets and kids. Disconnect heater hose at lower rad hose inlet and the other one from back of head on spark plug side. Disconnect top and bottom rad hoses at block, remove fan shroud and then the rad. Optional remove plastic fan to protect it. Tie all hoses out of way.

Disconnect the Neg - cable at battery. Now remove the ground cable where it bolts onto the head behind the fuel pump. Remove the Pos + cable and the solenoid wire from the starter. Remove the starter. Remove the reverse light wiring from transmission. Tie all wiring out of way.

Now safe to remove wires from the alternator. Loosen and swing alternator closer to the block and out of the way. Disconnect the oil pressure sender on block between oil filter and dip stick. Tie all wiring out of way.

Disconnect the water temp sender wire on front of thermostat housing (yellow/white wire) and the distributor. Remove the cap and wires to protect them. Disconnect the choke heater and idle cut wires at carb. Tie all wiring out of way.

Disconnect the large vacuum hose from intake for the brake booster.

Disconnect the throttle cable at carb.

Support motor and remove the motor mount bolts.

• Like 1

why you pu;lling motor????????

if 4 speed remove the lower dust cover on trans otherwise thee motor will not come out.

Use a leveler to angle the motor up to clear the steering bar.

I jack up the trans to help angle it out(motor oull only)

I leave the exhaust manifold in the truck and put push off to the side.

use a dig cam to document all the hoses ect to where they go back to.

dont pull a motor just to pull it!!!!!!!!!!!

I got everything labled, and well i already picked up an L20B that ima drop in :)

Drain coolant, store in safe place away from pets and kids. Disconnect heater hose at lower rad hose inlet and the other one from back of head on spark plug side. Disconnect top and bottom rad hoses at block, remove fan shroud and then the rad. Optional remove plastic fan to protect it. Tie all hoses out of way.

Disconnect the Neg - cable at battery. Now remove the ground cable where it bolts onto the head behind the fuel pump. Remove the Pos + cable and the solenoid wire from the starter. Remove the starter. Remove the reverse light wiring from transmission. Tie all wiring out of way.

Now safe to remove wires from the alternator. Loosen and swing alternator closer to the block and out of the way. Disconnect the oil pressure sender on block between oil filter and dip stick. Tie all wiring out of way.

Disconnect the water temp sender wire on front of thermostat housing (yellow/white wire) and the distributor. Remove the cap and wires to protect them. Disconnect the choke heater and idle cut wires at carb. Tie all wiring out of way.

Disconnect the large vacuum hose from intake for the brake booster.

Disconnect the throttle cable at carb.

Support motor and remove the motor mount bolts.

Thanks! prety sure this will help out ALOT!

Click one or more of the MultiQuote buttons in lower right of post. Now hit Add Reply and the one or more quotes will be displayed. You can copy and paste them if you want the order changed. You can edit them to remove excess dialogue and pictures to make it obvious what you are replying to. You can move the QUOTE around to make it a quote within a quote.

I got everything labled, and well i already picked up an L20B that ima drop in :)

Thanks! prety sure this will help out ALOT!

All over it ;) picked one up whit morning :P

Swapping the engine in these cars is super easy. I swapped my engine 3 times in one day on my race wagon once... I was trying to find a good runner just so I could race that weekend. I ended up putting the original engine back in after the first two motors having issues. :rofl: Now I'm building a real race engine :devil:

well just got in from the garage, managed to take the motor outwith out a problem :)

just left with two mistery nuts i cannot figure out what they are for, missing one of the nuts for the motor mount, and my driverside motor mount kinda tore off while I was pulling the motor. The metal peice came apart from the ruber.

tomorow im going to spend the day cleaning the engine bay and maybe spraying the block, headers, valve cover. one side is red and the other is blue lol.

and gonna start serching all the torque specs for the bolts and nuts

Can the engine be removed from a 510 with the stock exhaust manifold detached from the engine but still in place in the engine bay?

I think I need a nut splitter for the exhaust manifold downpipe nuts...angry.gif

Yep. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

Seen it come out with the headers still ON it.

Can the engine be removed from a 510 with the stock exhaust manifold detached from the engine but still in place in the engine bay?

I think I need a nut splitter for the exhaust manifold downpipe nuts...angry.gif

If you can't pull the manifold off the head studs, just take the studs out, If you take the head off, the pan, oil pump, front cover. etc, you can get in the engine bay and remove it by yourself. Support the car and transmission with jack stand first. Did this in a 610, with an L20

Oh, forgot about the crankcase breather tube on the l16, your screwed. Just break the studs on the cast iron down pipe and fix them when it;s out.

Not helpfull or recomended, but last summer I borrowed a forklift to move my Bridgeport. I decided to strip a Z car while I had it. Cut all the wires, cables, hoses, etc. Thought I had everything covered.

I hooked a chain to the motor, had the car literally off the ground and almost verticle before the throttle linkage snapped. Laughed my ass off.