temp sending issue

Eagle_Adam

I just recently got my 74 620 back on the road and a front end collision!!! :cool: New problem is my temp gauge wont read "properly" - L18 stock pistons/stock cam/no head work and a basic empi down draft copy of a weber 32/36. The motor ran before all this work and the temp gauge would go to half way up no prob. I got it warmed up for the first time and took it for a drive, everything is peachy except the breaks and this temp sending issue. So i replaced the temp sender and the thermostat thinking that would do the trick but no luck. I want to head up to the mountain this weekend but I'm not going to risk it if my truck is not up to par.

Ideas on what to check next???

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just recently got my 74 620 back on the road and a front end collision!!! :cool: New problem is my temp gauge wont read "properly" - L18 stock pistons/stock cam/no head work and a basic empi down draft copy of a weber 32/36. The motor ran before all this work and the temp gauge would go to half way up no prob. I got it warmed up for the first time and took it for a drive, everything is peachy except the breaks and this temp sending issue. So i replaced the temp sender and the thermostat thinking that would do the trick but no luck. I want to head up to the mountain this weekend but I'm not going to risk it if my truck is not up to par.

Ideas on what to check next???

What is "properly"? Too hot, too cold.....erratic, bouncing, or just not reading? I had the same problem recently.

Since you changed out the T stat and sender, check the wiring. Use a thermal gun on the T stat housing as well just to get a temp reading. Disconnect the wire off the temp sender and gauge and do an ohms check on the wire between the sender and the gauge or put a temporary wire between the sender and the gauge and see what the reading is afterwards.

This information is for a 521, but there is a reasonable chance it is similar to your truck.

If you remove the wire from the temp sender, and ground it, the temp gauge should read full hot.

Disconnecting it and leaving it not connected should make the gauge go full cold.

Putting a 40 ohm resistor should make the gauge read "normal" operating temp.

Sounds like a faulty thermostat, but since it happened with the old one and the new one it seems unlikely.

For a 620, buy a 116-ohm resistor at Radio Shack or other electronics store and use that to test for 1/2 reading on the gauge. The 40-ohm will work too but would read toward the H side of normal.

It's a mystery.

Use a thermal gun on the T stat housing as well just to get a temp reading.

did this and the block reads 145 and the thermostat housing reads 135 :blink:

If you remove the wire from the temp sender, and ground it, the temp gauge should read full hot.

Disconnecting it and leaving it not connected should make the gauge go full cold.

Putting a 40 ohm resistor should make the gauge read "normal" operating temp.

Did all of the above and got the described results

It's a mystery.

still is to me - i was doing some reading and i think im going to put some cardboard in fornt of the rad and see if that helps. I cant be driving my truck if the damned thermostat wont even open :angry:

block reads 145 and the thermostat housing reads 135

Well it is not warming up to normal. You want at least 170 for proper fuel economy and less engine wear.

This also shows that your send and temp gauge are not the problem. The problem is it really is not warming up!

Is your thermostat installed facing the correct way (spring towards engine side)?

The new thermostat is defective. Remove and I bet it is stuck open, just replace it. Spend over $10 and get a good one.

If you want, take it out and put it in a pan of water on the stove with a kitchen thermometer in it and watch it as you heat it up. If the thermostat opens to early, (cold), the engine will take a long time to warm up.

I find that your time is too valuable. If you find it's no good you have to buy one anyway, if good it's the same amount of work and a new gasket. If I suspect the thermostat I just get a new one... there's no guarantee a new one is perfect and will work out of the box.

I find that your time is too valuable. If you find it's no good you have to buy one anyway, if good it's the same amount of work and a new gasket. If I suspect the thermostat I just get a new one... there's no guarantee a new one is perfect and will work out of the box.

loz - my time is in short supply but i doubt its valuable :P

You find that eagle_adam's time is too valuable?

And even though there is no guarantee a new one is good, you recommended getting a new one and not testing it?

I find the pot of water method is very valuable as a learning experience.

I did test the new one before installation and everything was good to go. The truck is back up to normal operating temp now :D - now i need to find a new petcock to replace the one i sheered off yesterday <_<

How did you fix it? Did you replace the thermostat for the third time and finally got a good one?

ya, the original was bad, and the first replacement was stuck open when i took it out. The last one i asked for the best one they had which was only a few bucks more and now its good to go. Waiting on a new petcock drain plug and then the cooling system will be up to par :D

OK, soooooo NEW issue :rolleyes:.

Last night i got the new petcock drain plugs in to replace the one that sheered off in my original endeavor into the cooling system. I got the old one out and drained the cooling system no prob. The issue now is it wont heat up to operating temp again. Difference is this time the upper and lower hose are soft like there is no coolant in them :blink:. The water pump is good (by feel) and im not sure how to "prime" (if that's even close to the right terminology) the cooling system to get fluid back up to the water pump. What did i goof up guys?

Sounds like you have air trapped in the system. I usually just run the motor for a bit and keep topping it off until it won't take anymore.

Or you could get one of these

LIS24610.jpg

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_12749_36/lisle_lis24610_spill_free_radiator_funnel_kit_wext.html

Or one of these, but you have to plumb it into the system, which I don't like.

prestone_flush_n_fill_kit.png

http://www.prestone.com/products/print/461?popup=1

2eDeYe' date='09 February 2012 - 10:28 AM' timestamp='1328812105' post='630433']

Sounds like you have air trapped in the system. I usually just run the motor for a bit and keep topping it off until it won't take anymore.

I figured air was the problem, i ran the motor for 10 min or so and the hoses are still soft. How long should it take to work the air out of the system?

Did the thermostat have a tiny hole in it, to allow air to bleed past it when filling the cooling system? Make sure the heater valve is also turned on when filling the cooling system.

If you did not have the hole in the thermostat, one solution is to get the engine warm, so the thermostat opens, and then the air can get past it. Or remove the thermostat, and drill a small (1/16) hole in the plate.

Did the thermostat have a tiny hole in it, to allow air to bleed past it when filling the cooling system?

the thermostat did have a small hole with what looked to be a "brass pin" in it - like this one vvv

13968.jpg

Make sure the heater valve is also turned on when filling the cooling system.

not sure what the heater was set at but that makes sense - good to know for future reference