temp sending issue

Eagle_Adam

There is no "priming" possible or needed.

Difference is this time the upper and lower hose are soft like there is no coolant in them

Also impossible. The lower hose will always have water in it if the radiator is full. The upper hose may go dry if there is an air bubble.

What you feel may be an air pocket which is compressible.

It needs more than 10 minutes, and possibly more the 20 if the weather is cold. Top it up & run until the engine gets warm. If that doesn't resolve it, time to test the new thermostat again. It might have failed already.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What you feel may be an air pocket which is compressible.

It needs more than 10 minutes, and possibly more the 20 if the weather is cold. Top it up & run until the engine gets warm. If that doesn't resolve it, time to test the new thermostat again. It might have failed already.

it opens

566d5a2e.jpg

it closes

2b3f9a80.jpg

and yet

2978d090.jpg

I double checked the thermostat again and finally got the air out of the system but the gauge still reads cold. Im going to stop by a friends place on the way to work and check the thermostat housing with a laser temp gun. Im starting to think my testing of the gauge was faulty unsure.gif

This is not reading Cold:

Cold is to the left of the first lines. You might have said it is "reading colder than it used to".

That reading is perfect for a 170 thermostat.

i said cold because i checked the thermostat housing with a lazer temp gun once before and it read

did this and the block reads 145 and the thermostat housing reads 135 :blink:

i checked it again this morning after driving for 10 miles or so and the readings were 145 at the top of the thermostat housing 160 at the bottom

a friend of mine has a 150 thermostat so im going to swap it in later tonight to see if it makes a difference. I know its not right and the motor need to be around 170 to properly operate properly but its the easiest thing to try right now with out spending $$ on it. I tested the gauge again and its functioning properly. I also tossed some cardboard in front of the radiator to see if i could get the temp up but no luck.

the thermostat did have a small hole with what looked to be a "brass pin" in it - like this one vvv

13968.jpg

It's called a jiggle valve and allows air bubbles out and to a certain extent alows water to circulate past the thermostat. Not really needed on the L series as they have a by pass hose for that.

and yet

2978d090.jpg

I double checked the thermostat again and finally got the air out of the system but the gauge still reads cold. Im going to stop by a friends place on the way to work and check the thermostat housing with a laser temp gun. Im starting to think my testing of the gauge was faulty unsure.gif

As stated this is normal on my Datsuns about a third of the way up the run range.

i said cold because i checked the thermostat housing with a lazer temp gun once before and it read

i checked it again this morning after driving for 10 miles or so and the readings were 145 at the top of the thermostat housing 160 at the bottom

Have to say that with a new thermostat and a gauge that is reading properly it doesn't mater what the lazer gun reads... maybe it's no good. Shoot a pot of boiling water and see what it says.

Bottom line is there heat from your heater???? Are the rad and heater hoses hot to the touch??? Seems like everything is working fine.

It will operate properly at 150 or even 145. It just won't be as efficient.

EFI cars usually won't run correctly at that temperature, because they are expecting different sensor readings.

Good to know smile.gif

It's called a jiggle valve and allows air bubbles out and to a certain extent alows water to circulate past the thermostat. Not really needed on the L series as they have a by pass hose for that.

Do you remove the jiggle valve ? or specifically ask for one with out a jiggle valve?

As stated this is normal on my Datsuns about a third of the way up the run range.

The reason im thinking there is an issue is because prior to parking the truck for about 3 months the gauge always went to half way

Have to say that with a new thermostat and a gauge that is reading properly it doesn't mater what the lazer gun reads... maybe it's no good. Shoot a pot of boiling water and see what it says.

I will check the thermal gun next time i can go over to his house. i had not wondered if is calibrated properly mellow.gif

Bottom line is there heat from your heater???? Are the rad and heater hoses hot to the touch??? Seems like everything is working fine.

Yes there is heat from the heater, the radiator hoses are warm at best, i have touched them prior to this issue and remember them being somewhat uncomfortable to touch and they are not like that right now. This is my reasoning for getting a lower temp thermostat, trying to see if there is a difference. If there is i would assume the system is indeed not getting warm enough. Not sure if im right but i figured i wasn't going to hurt anything so why not.

Did the thermostat have a tiny hole in it, to allow air to bleed past it when filling the cooling system? Make sure the heater valve is also turned on when filling the cooling system.

If you did not have the hole in the thermostat, one solution is to get the engine warm, so the thermostat opens, and then the air can get past it. Or remove the thermostat, and drill a small (1/16) hole in the plate.

THIS

Air will work it's way up and out the top rad hose as it's pretty much the highest point. If you have a juggle valve the air will self bleed as you fill it. Any air perhaps in a heater hose will move once the water pump starts working and will exit the rad once the thermostat opens. You don't have to park on an incline, just check the rad level every time you start it up cold and top up.

My radiator hoses are soft after two years of driving. Doesn't really mean anything. My other datsun has hard hoses, i think they need replacing.

What I have found in the last 29-1/2 years of driving a Datsun is to let if warm up fully, drive it for a many miles, then let it cool down fully. That means overnight. Then top it up before you go.

And even when there is air in the system, the dash temp gauge still works. It shouldn't read low just because there is a little air in the system. Use a third temp gun/guage to check out which of the other two are wrong...