EI (non matchbox) Timing WTF

SHAMUS'WAGON

So Phil and I were up till 2:00am trying to get my motor to fire up. Started with what I thought was a voltage issue on the ignition circuit. After switching out the fuse box, ignition switch, coil, dizzy drive shaft and distributor, the only way we got the F*#ker to start and run was to turn the dizzy to this orientation. the problem is that it's so far out of whack with the pedistal that we can't lock it down. how could my timing get this far off. We were both stumped, and it was way too late to even screw with it any more. my other question is. How different are the pedestals between the 75mm single points dizzy and the non matchbox EI dizzy. Like I said we were both stumped and tired. My question is. could my timing somehow get that far off? or do I just have the wrong pedestal for the distributor. So any help is appreciated. I need my car up and running by tomorrow morning HELP! please.

P1250036.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pedestals are different, but the BIG difference is the lock-down plate that goes between the 2.

That's why you always want to get the distributor/base/plate as one unit, not just get the dist body.

You might be able to get away with moving all the plug wires over one, if you can get a full 90 degrees out if the body and hit both grooves.

Oh, and that timing cover bolt looks loose...

You do not have the distributer drive shaft in correctly.

When using non stock parts form different engines, you may have to improvise.

Put the engine into firing position, number one cylinder. About 10 to 12 degrees before TDC.

Put the distributer on the engine, without the drive spindle, in the orientation you want it.

Put a mark on the side of the distributer, where you want number one spark plug wire to be.

Align the rotor and pickup point inside the distributer like this.

P1010400.jpg

Without turning the distributer rotor, pull it out of the engine, and look at the orientation of the drive spindle slot on the bottom of the distributer.

Put the drive spindle back in the engine, to match the distributer. The spindle turns a little as you put it in the engine, and the gears engage. You will have to turn the drive spindle a little backwards to have it line up right with the oil pump all the way in.

This is how my distributer drive spindle ended up in my L-16 with a EI distributer.

OddSpindleLocation.jpg

watch this

put motor on TDC on zero crank.

the spindal will be about 11.28 positition

install the dizzy till it locks down

where it locks down youll make that #1 plug wire. so loosen the timming plate 8mm bolt underneath and the reg 10mm head timming bolt. dial it in so you see the plug wire almost right on it. It if inbetween 1 and 3 its best you find the correct pedastal.

Sometime people try filling the timming plate upside down .

alwasy grab the dizzy with timming plate and Mount.

car might run if you have the dizzy cranked to one side but when you go faster the dizzy advances I think and yoll go out of time the faster you go

You do what DanialC said. it works also

Does anyone have a picture of a non matchbox pedestal. Or is it the same as the one for the matchbox like the picture in post 3. I've watched your video a hundred times Hainz, and I can't thank you enough for saving my ass a few times in the middle of a tear down, and I think you deserve some kind of award. But it doesn't give me any specifics about the dizzy I'm working with right now. I have a pedestal that looks pretty similar to the one in post three. I'm gonna try that one along with DanielC's suggestion unless I find the right pedestal. I'll probably end up going back to points temporarily until I can find the right base hardware for this EI. Thankl you thank you thank you for your help so far, and thank you to PhilCas for staying up too late to try to figure this shit out.

I have some dizzy bases. I run that remote module dizzy on my L16, had to re-clock the oil pump spindle. If you want, you can come take a look at the pedestals and such, I'll be off work between 4-5.

Damn, I'd be all over it, but I'm takin care of my chitlins this afternoon. Phil's comin over to help some more, but I'll probably just have to switch back to points for the yime being. It sucks, and I was pretty stoked to rid of the old Dizzy. I've waited this long to switch it over though. Anyone in Vancouver got a pedestal for me?

Its EZ look at is like a clock. say the 12, 3, 6 ,9 position( this will be plug wires). then you have the arm of the clock(rotor).

You rotate the clock or you move the arm to come out in the right spot. It works.

ON my 1st post you might have to remove the plug wires and start from the beginning. On where to put number 1.

also if you go back to points you better use the stock point coil and use the ballast resisitor.Use the hot start wire also

I had to severely modify a non matchbox pedestal plate to work with a matchbox dizzy. Spent about 20 minutes with the dremel and now we have lots of adjustment. I wish I had taken pictures...

Do you still have that setup? would you be willing to shoot a picture as it sits? I might be able to bet some ideas if I saw what you did?

Damn, I'd be all over it, but I'm takin care of my chitlins this afternoon. Phil's comin over to help some more, but I'll probably just have to switch back to points for the yime being. It sucks, and I was pretty stoked to rid of the old Dizzy. I've waited this long to switch it over though. Anyone in Vancouver got a pedestal for me?

OK. You should be able to just re-clock the oil pump spindle and make it work just fine. I live in NoPo near Interstate and I-5, so if you don't get it fixed soon, come by.

P1250036.jpg

Anybody got a base and plate they aren't using.

Screw it, I'm putting the points back in. Hmmm maybe wire it with the module anyway. Anybody done points with an HEI module?

You have everything you need to get this going. Set to TDC, drop the oil pump and move the drive spindle retard (clockwise) about 2-3 teeth. Each tooth is 18 degrees. Put back in and install dizzy. It should now be over to the right and on the hold down area. Turn dizzy untill #1 plug wire is roughly above the end of the rotor, snug down and try starting.

well i got it running. done this a million times. pedestal was the right one. i took this distributor apart to grease it 2 years ago. turns out i put the reluctor on upside down. 50/50 chance of being right. lol. was starting to think the distributor drive spun the gear.