Stroke this!!!!

O.K.-i got my stroker back from the machine shop.:DNow the race is on to get it in the truck and running before the wifes F-150 shits the bed.

I'm going to be using a MSD 6AL to drive the distributor.The affore mentioned distributor i think is due for a replacement.So the poser is-which electrtonic distributor will work the best with the MSD?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '76 and '77 California 620 trucks used the remote igniter boxes, in '78 all trucks used them but the '79 620 and the '80 720s used the matchbox dizzies. In operation remote or matchbox work the same, but the matchbox is much neater looking.

The '79 200sx used the matchbox, the '78 would have had an EI too, but probably a remote igniter. In fact almost any L20B car around '78 and newer would have had one.

The '80 and maybe '81 200sx with the Z20E motor with the 4 plug NAPS head distributor would fit and work too but may be clocked differently. (180 degrees out) California models were 8 plug for sure but Canadian and some 49 state ones were 4 plug design the first year.

The '76 and '77 California 620 trucks used the remote igniter boxes, in '78 all trucks used them but the '79 620 and the '80 720s used the matchbox dizzies. In operation remote or matchbox work the same, but the matchbox is much neater looking.

The '79 200sx used the matchbox, the '78 would have had an EI too, but probably a remote igniter. In fact almost any L20B car around '78 and newer would have had one.

So the 78 would be the choice for being driven by a MSD box.

I used the electonic distributor out of a late 70s L20B. I used the one with out the black box with the MSD 6AL. I've used it for over 40K miles on my wagon.

Z-train, I'm not sure which dizzy ssfwgn is referring to. The remote igniter has a large black box the size of a pack of cigarettes, (usually mounted under the dash) the matchbox has the igniter reduced in size, (matchbox) and mounted on the side of the distributor. That's why I mention both kinds.

Z-train, I'm not sure which dizzy ssfwgn is referring to. The remote igniter has a large black box the size of a pack of cigarettes, (usually mounted under the dash) the matchbox has the igniter reduced in size, (matchbox) and mounted on the side of the distributor. That's why I mention both kinds.

Since i'm using the MSD,the matchbox is kinda POINTLESS(git it?):blink:Seriously,what's the point(sorry) of the matchbox if i'm driving it with the MSD?

the matchbox is an electronic distributor and does not use the points set up that the older dizzys use as for the msd it just BOOST the spark and gives you the soft touch rev limiter you can also use an early model single point dizzy with a pertronix set up to get rid of the points

Z-train, I believe you are right. The 6AL is an ignition module in itself, right?

So the 1978 remote type dizzy would be perfect. The two wires for it are already run from the distributor.

Look around for an L20b and I would say just grab the first EI you find from 1978-80.

1979 200SX or any L-series in the late 70's should have the same. Crappy 510's from 1978 too... :D I think those went to Z22 in 1980 though.

IMG_0262.jpg

these remote box dizzys just have two wires. Wire the right side of the MSD like the instructions say and hook the dizzy up to the two wires on the left side. I use these because they are easier to come buy. I actually have the remote box partially wired as a backup incase the MSD takes a crap.

P.S. sorry for the confusion I ment without the little black box on the side of the dizzy.

Z-train, I believe you are right. The 6AL is an ignition module in itself, right?

So the 1978 remote type dizzy would be perfect. The two wires for it are already run from the distributor.

Look around for an L20b and I would say just grab the first EI you find from 1978-80.

1979 200SX or any L-series in the late 70's should have the same. Crappy 510's from 1978 too... :D I think those went to Z22 in 1980 though.

The PU in the Dizzy triggers the 6AL.The MSD is a capacitive discharge(CD) ignition with a built in rev limiter.

Another poser:If you have a pile of dizzys,is there a way to I.D. the years other than what has already be discussed?

Remote Igniter Box

Distributer ID numbers for model year 1978 manual transmission 620 truck

04F5-03

04F5-05

04F6-03

04F7-01

04F5-04

0F5-06

04F5-07

04F6-04

06F6-01

06F4-03

06F5-02

06F5-03

D4F6-05..... non Cal. USA m/t

D4F6-06..... non Cal. USA a/t

D4F6-07..... California a/t

D4F6-08..... non Cal. Canada m/t

D4F6-09..... non Cal. Canada a/t

D4F7-02..... California m/t

These would all have different centrifugal and vacuum advance curves and combinations of.

for any style l series dizzy, you need to keep the matchbox even with msd. the matchbox is what produces the signal so the msd can read it. if you have a l series with injection, you will need the tach adapter, which in this case isnt needed. ive tried to not use the matchbox, and it totally didnt work. now ive only done it on my z, so maybe its different, but im pretty sure youll need to leave the matchbox.

Is it possible to use a matchbox to control a earlier remote box distributor?

I have a spare matchbox(not the entire distributor) and a 77 620 with a bad remote ignitor box.

Is this possible and does anybody know how to wire?

Jason

must be the fuel injection part of iot for the z car then. like i mentioned, never done it on a carbed L series. good to know for future ref. yello, if the remote box is 2 wires in, 2 out then yes you prolly could, but if the remote one works, is it worth the change?

these remote box dizzys just have two wires. Wire the right side of the MSD like the instructions say and hook the dizzy up to the two wires on the left side. I use these because they are easier to come buy. I actually have the remote box partially wired as a backup incase the MSD takes a crap.

P.S. sorry for the confusion I ment without the little black box on the side of the dizzy.

SO...let's get a definitive answer here fellas...

If you use the MSD 6AL you do not need the "matchbox"?

(If so...why aren't many others doing it....I've heard some good things about the MSD units...plus it minimizes ignition parts...)

If you have a matchbox, why would you want to take it apart and add what's there already?

How is the MSD triggered? Will it need the signal from the pickup coil or does it need the output from the matchbox itself?

The pick up coil is a different design between the remote and the matchbox but might still work.

This is the matchbox dizzy pickup. There are 4 lobes that pass a 4 lobed coil for a more accurate, stronger signal?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/EIdizzymatchbox.jpg[/img]"]EIdizzymatchbox.jpg

This is the remote igniter dizzy pickup. There is only one signal from each lobe as it passes the coil.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/wiringEIdizzyremoteigniter.jpg[/img]"]wiringEIdizzyremoteigniter.jpg

As for now I take it back. I just went out side check how I currently have mine wired. Its still using a blue, black and white and what looks like a black and orange maybe green fromthe remote box. I tried to run it with out the box it would fire but then die. So I hooked it back up to the box and it runs. Now I'm confused, I can run the two wires out of the dizzy either straight two the MSD or I can run it to the, both ways it will run. I'll try to rewire it tomorrow.