Finally got a 510!!

510sAreHot

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, cage doesn't typically sit well with a street car... it just depends on if that's the look you want... 510s especially in a first car type scenario are just really nice cruise-mobiles that you can give a little badness to by getting it lower, giving it some rake, filling up the wheel wells, and getting the most out of an L motor while still making it driveable. That's how I've seen most people who really enjoy their 510s do it, unfortunately racing builds and early engine swaps end up part outs too often. Just make it cool man, that's what the 510 is all about

Man if the cage is welded and done right Leave it. You really plan on packin 4 people in there?

From personal experience.

You're going to fix it and drive it, then automatically fall in love. You're going to push it to its limits and eventually find them. That car looks ready for the track, or the dirt, or the dirt track.

Leave the cage in. Nobody ever rides in the back of a 510 anyways. The guys are right about the rear wheels rubbing when you put people in the back of a lowered 510. Plus with the cage it will make track days more viable, which is what almost all 510 owners like to do. If you don't care for it, the next owner will love it. Plus since it's welded in, it will be a bitch to pull out.

All the guys who have claimed dibs on the cage realize it's value, and wouldn't hesitate to throw it in their car. Including me, because that one is better than the one I have. I mean really, if my girlfriend is ok not using her back seat in her 510 because she wants the roll bar in her car, you should be fine.

Good buy. I saw that car on CL and thought it looked like a good deal. I love the '69 side marker lights and the later model dash. I'm not sure how that happened, but I like it. That is a wicked starter 510. It already has some cool old school hot rod bits like the carbs, rims, steering wheel...

Already been said but worth saying again: get it going as it is, run it hard, live the 510 dream. 510 handling is forever, among the best ever. Don't go overboard with mods, engine swaps, or other massive projects. Take the time to get it tuned so it runs right and it will be plenty fast. Getting it solid as it is will be a huge project.

Finally regarding the back seat in a street car: in my younger years, I used my backseat and the back doors on my 4 door 510's all the time and often ran my cars hard with 3 or 4 people in them, offroad, on tarmac, gravel, in snow, any and all conditions. 20 years later, friends still tell me they remember ripping it up in my 510, laughing till they were begging for mercy, riding in the back. I used the back seat all the time in my 2 door 510's too, same story. I like having a back seat in my 510, and I still use it today to take my kids to school, carry dudes to the track or other driving events, whatever. I've heard the 240sx back seat fits in there perfectly with almost no mods, so that may be a good way to go. Get rear seatbelts too, because your passengers are going to want them.

Huh how did I miss this thread... lol

I see that 510 all the time when I go to Cambrian GoKarts.... didn't know it has been for sale recently!

Looks like a fun project! The cage thing is up to you... personally I don't think a FULL cage is a good idea for a street 510. If you're running race seats and harnesses though, that's a different story. It would be pretty difficult to smack your head on a rollcage when your whole body is strapped in pretty tight. If you're running regular seats and regular seat belts, ditch the cage.

A rollbar just for the back is not a bad idea though.. you'd be surprised at how much that'll stiffen the car up!! I personally have a rollbar in my 4 door.. no back seats. I was going to keep the back seats but there's really not much room back there. I wouldn't want to ride in the back of a 510 for very long....

It's pretty hard to cut out a cage that's been welded into a car. To do it RIGHT, you're pretty much going to have to cut holes in the floor (and where ever else it's welded to...) then make new patch panels, and weld those in.

I was going to say bring it out to the Santa Clara meet next week, but Novato is pretty far away... is that even considered part of the Bay Area? Lol!

"I was going to say bring it out to the Santa Clara meet next week, but Novato is pretty far away... is that even considered part of the Bay Area? Lol!"

The golden gate bridge is like 20 mins away and three richmond san rafael bridge is like 15mins away. How is that not part of the bay area.

"I was going to say bring it out to the Santa Clara meet next week, but Novato is pretty far away... is that even considered part of the Bay Area? Lol!"

The golden gate bridge is like 20 mins away and three richmond san rafael bridge is like 15mins away. How is that not part of the bay area.

I'm retarded.

Not even sure what I was thinking laugh.gif