Replacing piston - L20b

Ok, I started a thread about having no compression in a cylinder and that turned into a "how to" on replacing a tore up piston I found. So I figured I would start this thread on the whole project. So I will catch everyone up, an of course I'll do it the Ratsun way, With oics, and short sentences.

The K/C

041011-0853.jpg

041011-0852.jpg

The engine bay before

Picture027.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Parts removed

311211-1430-2.jpg

311211-1430001-2.jpg

010112-1738003.jpg

The problem

010112-1738002-2.jpg

010112-1720-2.jpg

010112-1719-2.jpg

The head

010112-1330001-2.jpg

010112-1329-2.jpg

010112-1328-2.jpg

Fail head gasket as well

030112-1045.jpg

more damage to piston found

030112-1052.jpg

Aluminum melted to cylinder wall

030112-1015.jpg

Cleaned up the Intake, came out Awesome!!!

010112-1738001.jpg

OK, so that's were I'm at know. Got some other stuff cleaned up and painted and I am ordering some new parts Today I hope. Also I have a piston coming from Big Schlink (thank you again) to replace the bad one. Keep everyone posted as soon as I do anything.

New parts I'm ordering:

Full gasket set

Main bearings

Piston rings

Carb rebuild kit

Honing tool

Also gonna get this finally:

Carrier bearing

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you use for the intake?

It does look awesome!

Good luck with that blown melted piston shaped thing...ohmy.gif

Screamer510

Changed the pic size on the intake,

I just soaked the intake in diesel than scrubbed like hell with a nylon brush.

and thanks

Albyneau

Ya imma save that piston

The other cylinder is just fuzzy, its just carbon, no damage.

Ya I got another used piston coming to replace the bad one, Big thanks to Big Schlink for that. The rest of the pistons look good. I'm gonna pull them all out soon and I'll check them out better than. Just hoping I don't have to replace those as well, even though I probably should.

And no question is a stoopid, if ya don't know, you won"t know till ya ask.

besides, It's all good when you post anything with a profile image like yours.

Takes me awhile to see you wrote anything.

So I got some stuff done today, got the head done Finally. Every surface ready for gaskets. Thermostat housing cleaned up. And started the Carb rebuild. Here's some pics

110112-1612.jpg

110112-1612001.jpg

110112-1613.jpg

110112-1614.jpg

The Carb before I tore it apart.

110112-1657.jpg

110112-1656.jpg

Tore apart for the most part.

110112-1746001.jpg

I got most the Carb parts cleaned up, gonna do the re-build tomorrow.

Looks good man, glad I could help. My motor is sitting in the bag in the garage. still gotta mic the crank so I can order my bearings. Are you going to do more to the head other than clean it?Did you soak the head in diesel as well?

Looks good man, glad I could help. My motor is sitting in the bag in the garage. still gotta mic the crank so I can order my bearings. Are you going to do more to the head other than clean it?Did you soak the head in diesel as well?

Thanks, nope not gonna do anything else to the head, it lucks real good. I soaked it in diesel for 4 or 5 days.Than scrubbed like hell for hours on the outside to get it clean.

Well I got the Carb done, my ocd kicked in and took everything apart, every jet, screw, whatever I could. I cleaned every single piece in it. Than set them on the bench.

120112-1239.jpg

All the parts ready to be put back together.

Didn't take as long as I thought it would, and I only forgot 1 damn piece. Took it half apart again and got it together right. It's damn near as clean as a new one.

120112-1643.jpg

120112-1643001.jpg

120112-1644.jpg

120112-1644001.jpg

Someone messed up some of the links and springs, fixed all that.

So after I had that all done, I figured it was time to get the other 3 pistons out of the engine and ready for the new rings that

will be here tomorrow. Its a good thing I decided to do this build halfway right by getting new rings and rod bearings. Damn rings in

the first piston were all busted up. No damage to any of the cylinder walls thankfully.

120112-1906.jpg

All set out after I removed them.

120112-1907.jpg

The piston an broken ring

Well that's all for today, got all the parts I need today and the rings will be here tomorrow, just need to clean up the piston's and

hone the cylinder walls than I'm ready to start putting her back together. Plan on starting the re-assembly on Saturday. Hope to be

done by Sunday.

So after tracking down a cylinder honing tool and getting a ring compressor I got started putting everything back together. I didn't take a lot of pictures, cause I have never done this kinda engine work before an I was concentrating on doing it right. After I honed the cylinder walls everything spec'd out good, I was worried about the #3 piston were I had some aluminum from the blown piston. It came out great, no worries there. I pressed out the old piston pin from the control arm and pressed in the replacement piston. put in the new rings properly in all the pistons, compressed them and got all the pistons back in the engine.

130112-2231.jpg

Nice seal and of course clean.

So after that I figured I would do the fun part and get the head back on and the timing chain. It was fun getting that back on without taking off the timing cover.

but we got it and done right. Putting in the piston's took longer than I figured cause I took my time and made sure everything was facing the right way and all that.

130112-2359.jpg

For so little done, it sure did take some time. Hope to get the rest back together today. I'll try an take more pics.

Loose the Fram before you start up.

Did you stagger the ring gaps? They should be 45 degrees away from front to bach and side to side directions. Second ring gap must be 180 to the top ring

Did you check the ring end gap?

Loose the Fram before you start up.

Did you stagger the ring gaps? They should be 45 degrees away from front to bach and side to side directions. Second ring gap must be 180 to the top ring

Did you check the ring end gap?

Ya that's the old filter, I just haven't removed it yet, went today an got new oil an air filter and oil and coolant.

Yes I staggered the rings, I took my time and made sure everything was done right, between reading the post in the engine section on replacing rings, reading my manual, and the 3 other guys that work on motors helping me. Everything was done correctly and accurately.

Thanks for the heads up on that stuff though DatzenMike.

Thanks DTP. I found keeping the sentences short and post lots of pics works best here at Ratsun. lol

OK so I got everything back together last night. was trying to figure out were a couple vacuum lines that were plugged went. Some 16 year old kid owned this truck before me and he did a lot of stupid sh*t to it. So I'm trying to get everything back to the way its supposed to be. I didn't get but 2 pics the other day for an update, I was trying to get to were I could try and start her last night. Unfortunately the cross member ended up being a pain to put back on, and the center link needs to be replaced. Hope to find one Tuesday.

150112-0133.jpg

Braided hoses would look good.

150112-0133001.jpg

Sucks I have to cover that carb with that big ugly air cleaner.

Well that's it for now, Everything went together on the engine great. Gonna look up the (Charcoal box)? vacuum line placement.

Full her with fluids, and start her.

Thanks for the info ggzila

Got everything put in the right place, She started right up after getting fuel. So after a little adjustment to the carb, I put the ugly air cleaner back on, attached the hood and opened up the garage door to half an inch of snow on the ground...Damn I hate living here. I took the truck for a drive and it was awesome. The truck runs better than it ever has. Ran smooth, seemed to have lots more power, but because of the snow I couldn't really get on it. Now the truck will sit till the snow milts, probably in May...lol