My new project

Datsluv

I'm a proud owner of my first 510. It's a 69 2 door I traded a motorcycle for it. It has a l20b ported and polished peanut,5 speed tranny,and what looks to be a long shaft r200? My first task is to find out exactly what trans, and diff I have. Are their any tell tale signs that I could use to make this easy.My next step is the suspension and brakes. I've been looking at t3 because they make a great product in my opinion I'm thinking the 280zx coil overs front at 250#,rear coil overs at 250# lcas,bump steers,and their tension rods. Has anyone used any of these from t3. I've read almost every post about upgrading to the 280zx for the brakes I know I need the caliper,rotor,and hub. These parts are scarce in my area and tried local autoparts but can't seem to find the hubs also will I need a bracket to mount the caliper on the t3 struts or should everything bolt together? Any opinions or info. will be very much appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot 'o 510 guys run stiffer springs than that in back.

When they upgrade to 280ZX front suspension, they get the whole strut assembly -- with the hub and brakes attached. Besides, auto parts store don't see those parts for most cars, they only sell them for cars where they go bad regularly. The 280ZX parts are normally still good after 30 years.

I have T3 coil overs (all 4 corners), camber plates, and TC rods and love them...no problems and had an excellent buying experience. I am running 325lb front and 275lb rear springs. Ride comfort is not bad but clearly stiffer than stock. Recommend new ball joints and bushings when the new struts go on as you are right there and it can't help but improve handing. You will need the ZX hubs and calipers as they bolt onto the struts.

When I did the 280ZX brakes on the front I did the Maxima rear discs with a 280ZX 15/16ths BMC and am quite happy with the braking performance and the pedal modulation. Pedal is firm but responsive.

If you hit edit on your post above with the pics you will see how to format the photos. There should be an tag at the beginning and the end of the link you post.

Fisch. Thanks for the help my laptop is down and trying to use my phone. Btw your art is amazing I have saved most of the pix and change my screensaver weekly. And thanks for the positive comments from everyone the blue kinda grows on ya didn't like it at first.

Fisch. Thanks for the help my laptop is down and trying to use my phone. Btw your art is amazing I have saved most of the pix and change my screensaver weekly. And thanks for the positive comments from everyone the blue kinda grows on ya didn't like it at first.

Thanks dude! It is a sweet dime, did I miss what bike you traded for it? Must've been pretty sweet too! You should post a pic of it.

coil overs front at 250#,rear coil overs at 250#

Lot 'o 510 guys run stiffer springs than that in back.

I would NEVER drive a 510 with stiffer than #225 rear coilovers .... I run #225 front and rear, 2 inches off the ground and it's a little too stiff,, but perfect for being slammed

.... the general reccomendation is to run #200 springs front and rear with coilovers on a daily driver raised up street 510

I agree I don't like the molded in parts.Im not real fond of the way the rear is flared either lost part of the body line that is almost what kept me from trading for it but I will deal with it I love it more every time I look at it.

I live in Houston and have seen the guy in fort worth on Dallas Craigslist. I was just hoping to find the parts local but it looks like I'm going to have to take a road trip.