cheap ways to lower a 280zx

i just picked up a 79 zx the other day and am looking for a way to get maybe 3" lower than stock height. dont want to clip springs and dont have 900 bucks for coilovers. and ideas? and most lowering springs iv found only lower 1 inch all way around

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Measure the spring diameter and see what you have for style of loop end. Go to Day Motorsports online and search for circle track springs slightly shorter than your springs. OR just cut about a half coil off, will work fine and won't be overly harsh. Especially not considering they're probably sagging from being original.

Also, lowering three inches will probably be more than the strut can handle on compression, which means you'll blow your strut if you go that far down without adjustable perches.

Perhaps a better idea is to get a set of ebay cheap coilovers, or get the coilover kit from Day Motorsports or other circle track catalog, or get some 27" mud tires and go bogging!!!! :D

Remove strut and dismantle. Cut about one spring coil off. If worried cut 1/2 coil and go to no more than one later. When done, you will be able to get at the spring to cut it more very easily, you'll see. Now. keep in mind that just lowering but keeping the same soft spring will simply hit the ground easier on bumps because you are lower by 3". Removing one coil will increase the spring rate and stiffen or reduce suspension travel. Desirable when you are sitting closer to the ground. Most stock springs are too soft anyway.

Cut lower spring perch off the strut ......

Nick carefully all the way round with 6" angle grinder and cut off disc... Also good for cutting spring too.

strutmods004Large-1.jpg

Tap off...

strutmods005Large-1.jpg

strutmods006Large.jpg

....and grind the weld off smooth.

Buy two 2" split collars, about $10 each. Install split collar loosely, then the spring perch you cut off, then spring, top hat and install in car.

strutmods010Large.jpg

I used a hydraulic jack to push the split collar up against the spring perch to compress the spring, tighten the split collar and let down to check the ride height. Don't forget that changing one side will affect the other. BTW the 2" split collar will hold up 6,000 pounds or 2 zx cars EACH!!!

OPTIONAL

While apart, remove the gland nut and fish out the rubber O ring inside the strut.

strutmods007Large2.jpg

O ring...

strutmods012Large.jpg

Empty out thin 5W shock absorber oil

280zxinsertina510tube.jpg

...and lift out the valve assy. Clean and install, filling with 20W motorcycle fork oil. (less than $20) The thicker oil will resist flowing through the valves and will renew the damper action. I used 20W to match the increased spring rate but you may find 10W more to your liking. Do not go above 30W if driving in the winter as it it too thick and may tear out the valving.

Fill, leaving about 1/2" for heat expansion and instalO ring and tighten gland nut. Hold upside down and pull strut out to full extension, place right side up and compress fully to bleed out any air in the valves. Remove gland nut, and add if needed.

Maxima strut ready for the car. (without the split collar) Weld must be ground off so collar and perch can slide up and down smoothly.

strutmods008Large2.jpg

Split collars, 20W fork oil under $50. Stiffer springs, like new damping action, adjustable ride height on the front struts... priceless.

Mike, what is your suggestion for a 280Z? The gap between the fender and front tires is nearly 5 inches and looks all sorts of silly. The rears seem more appropriate, but over all, it seems like the springs themselves are just squishy. I probably just need new springs; I have a tendency to hit the bump stops if I hit depressions in the road. Is there a cheap alternative to spending $500+ on Tokico springs and shocks?

Mike, what is your suggestion for a 280Z? The gap between the fender and front tires is nearly 5 inches and looks all sorts of silly. The rears seem more appropriate, but over all, it seems like the springs themselves are just squishy. I probably just need new springs; I have a tendency to hit the bump stops if I hit depressions in the road. Is there a cheap alternative to spending $500+ on Tokico springs and shocks?

Well since you have to take apart to replace the insides with a cartridge anyway why not try the thicker fork oil? this will firm up the damping on mushy shocks. This only applies if you have the stock valving in the struts.

If too high the spring can be cut judiciously. This will drop the height and increase the spring rate. It's all in my post above.

Well since you have to take apart to replace the insides with a cartridge anyway why not try the thicker fork oil? this will firm up the damping on mushy shocks. This only applies if you have the stock valving in the struts.

If too high the spring can be cut judiciously. This will drop the height and increase the spring rate. It's all in my post above.

Okay. Wasn't sure if the ZX and the Z springs could be worked over the same way. Very nice to know. Know of any write ups on DIY'ing coil overs for the Z?

Hybridz.org has all you could ever want for suspension upgrades purepontiackid on hybridz did a write up on custom coilovers for a s130. Zccjdm.com sells a nice adapter kit for s30's that uses s13 Meagan coilovers. All of which has been documented on hybridz plenty of times.

• 1 month later...

Remove strut and dismantle. Cut about one spring coil off. If worried cut 1/2 coil and go to no more than one later. When done, you will be able to get at the spring to cut it more very easily, you'll see. Now. keep in mind that just lowering but keeping the same soft spring will simply hit the ground easier on bumps because you are lower by 3". Removing one coil will increase the spring rate and stiffen or reduce suspension travel. Desirable when you are sitting closer to the ground. Most stock springs are too soft anyway.

Cut lower spring perch off the strut ......

Nick carefully all the way round with 6" angle grinder and cut off disc... Also good for cutting spring too.

strutmods004Large-1.jpg

Tap off...

strutmods005Large-1.jpg

strutmods006Large.jpg

....and grind the weld off smooth.

Buy two 2" split collars, about $10 each. Install split collar loosely, then the spring perch you cut off, then spring, top hat and install in car.

strutmods010Large.jpg

I used a hydraulic jack to push the split collar up against the spring perch to compress the spring, tighten the split collar and let down to check the ride height. Don't forget that changing one side will affect the other. BTW the 2" split collar will hold up 6,000 pounds or 2 zx cars EACH!!!

OPTIONAL

While apart, remove the gland nut and fish out the rubber O ring inside the strut.

strutmods007Large2.jpg

O ring...

strutmods012Large.jpg

...and lift out the valve assy. Clean and install, filling with 20W motorcycle fork oil. (less than $20) The thicker oil will resist flowing through the valves and will renew the damper action. I used 20W to match the increased spring rate but you may find 10W more to your liking. Do not go above 30W if driving in the winter as it it too thick and may tear out the valving.

Fill, leaving about 1/2" for heat expansion and instalO ring and tighten gland nut. Hold upside down and pull strut out to full extension, place right side up and compress fully to bleed out any air in the valves. Remove gland nut, and add if needed.

Maxima strut ready for the car. (without the split collar) Weld must be ground off so collar and perch can slide up and down smoothly.

strutmods008Large2.jpg

Split collars, 20W fork oil under $50. Stiffer springs, like new damping action, adjustable ride height on the front struts... priceless.

King Rat,

great write up.....grass roots, hard core, less money same effect, I really enjoy these types of gettin things done ways.

We are new here and new to Z cars, you showed a Maxima strut..in the write up...can these be swaped in to a 74 260z? We are just getting started.

Thanks

2eDeYe' date='06 February 2012 - 12:01 PM' timestamp='1328558483' post='628047']

They are pretty much the same exact strut. I think just the brake rotors are different.

That being said, whats the advantage? Other then if they were new and free...lol. What years are correct?

Normally I would search this just keep from buggin members, but would seem like it would be hard to get these types of questions ......in a decent amount of time.

Just let me know if Im buggin. I had just walked a pick-a-parts like an hour ago, some Maxiees and 240's...and one 200sx with a V-6 fully intacted......stick to the plan though...Ill let the boys decide down the road if they need a different motor.

Thanks

OPTIONAL

strutmods007Large2.jpg

O ring...

strutmods012Large.jpg

strutmods008Large2.jpg

Thank you for posting the oil replacement procedure. I've been wondering how it was supposed to be done. All the other posts that mentioned it being done just said to do it. Now I know how its done :)

Removing one coil will increase the spring rate

How does cutting the spring increast the spring rate? Rate is measured in pounds per inch. With normal coil springs being longer or shorter don't change the rate.

If they are variable rate springs, cutting the soft end will effectively increase the spring rate, but cutting the other end will decrease the spring rate.