Shiny links on z22 timing chain

elmerfudpucker

Ok, Da Pumpkin has been battling my truck and there is no marks or shiny links on the timing chain. So how many links are in between the marks/shiny links? I have searched and nobody has it posted. Someone save a brother some chips so I dont need to buy another chain!! PM or Text or call me, My number is 206- three nine one-6663 and be sure about it! dont count the shiny links, just the ones in between. Either that or bring your butt over and I will feed you while you help. I need my truck up and running ASAP! I got work piling up and no truck to get it done! :(

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Da Pumpkin has been battling my truck and there is no marks or shiny links on the timing chain. So how many links are in between the marks/shiny links? I have searched and nobody has it posted. Someone save a brother some chips so I dont need to buy another chain!! PM or Text or call me, My number is 206- three nine one-6663 and be sure about it! dont count the shiny links, just the ones in between. Either that or bring your butt over and I will feed you while you help. I need my truck up and running ASAP! I got work piling up and no truck to get it done! :(

L16/L18.. 21 sections/42 links

L20B.....22 sections/44 links

Z20/Z22 19 sections/38 links

Z24......20 sections/40 links

Start counting at 1 shiney section (dimple on crank gear or cam sprocket).... as 1....do not count the last shiney section

Edited by Sealik

set cam to TDC and crank to TDC. You can gently place the front cover back on to get the crank mark lined up.

Pull cover back off.

Place chain on cam sprocket and lower sprocket, place tensioner on.set it up as your going to install. take slack out.

Place the front cover pack on. Rotate the motor counter clock wise then dial it back to zero on CRANK keeping tension on there. then ck the upper cam mark. if aligned then its timmed ok. If not readjust chain

then ck again

Seelick ,,,I must say your side notes are impeccable almost as if they were typed laugh.gif

and I have now stole this picture for myself ....

Yes...impressive isn't it...all from memory :rolleyes:

Took the liberty and whipped up a drawing.......... :D

PC140004.jpg

MY way you dont even need that book!!!!!!!!!!or brite links

Brite Links only makes it totally idiot proof.

Yes...you don't need the bright links....or book

But...if you don't have those (links) or a notch on the back of the cam sprocket....you can just count the sections between the dimples on the cam (No 2) and crank...."idiot proof"... :D

The Z22/Z24 head is not as easy (visually) to time (TDC) as the L.

It won't help you determine if an already-installed chain was put in correctly.

Sure it will.... if the TC cover is removed.

MY way you dont even need that book!!!!!!!!!!or brite links

Brite Links only makes it totally idiot proof.

True and very true

If you have a chain not in a box, and don't know whether it is L16 or L20B or what, then counting the links will help identify which chain it is.

It won't help you determine if an already-installed chain was put in correctly.

Yep!

The Z22/Z24 head is not as easy (visually) to time (TDC) as the L.

Sure it will.... if the TC cover is removed.

We found that out! That damn motor can be a real PIA! But on another note, my lil mule is running, but as I said, that pic NEEDS to be added to the rest of the rebuild threads! It is like guns and condoms, better to have it and not need them. ;)