All quad headlight people!!!

I'm trying to figure out how simple it would be to wire a hi/lo headlight to just the outer headlights and not use all 4, maintaining factory operation. Basically I want a high beam from my low beams. I'm converting to HID and want to run the outer lights as my highs and lows (able to trigger from my stalk), and use my inners for fog lights (run off a seperate switch). If anyone has done this (or something similar), post up what you did, or what might need to be done. I'm trying to keep this as factory as possible. Any and all help is appricated.

***Just realized I might of put this in the wrong section... :rolleyes: If a mod could move this to the appropriate one, please?***

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How are 720s headlights? inners are stock Hi/Lo?

well um simply put in your HID and wire it off of the Hi/Lo inner lights.

Its going to be custom wiring to get fogs in.

Also, never ever ever ever flick your HID's as in to flash someone. It kills HIDs to do that.

Technically isnt the stock sealed beam connector the same as the H4 connector?

Also to use HIDs as both High and Low beams, you will need a special housing, one that has a retractable cover over the bulb. I dont think HIDs are dual filament.

The outer two are already hi and lo beam just disconnect the two inner plugs... done. If yo want the two inner as fogs wire them separately to a switch.... done. If you don't butcher the wiring it can all be put back the way it was.

That is what I was thinking, but a wiring diagram I found said differently?

But he said HID, so that makes it a different game, and going to be custom wiring deal.

A lot of manufactures run HIDs as low beams, and stock Halogens as Highs.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

That is what I was thinking, but a wiring diagram I found said differently?

But he said HID, so that makes it a different game, and going to be custom wiring deal.

Just add a decent relay,stock 40 yr old relays do not really "cut" it

I have HIDs in my Dodge truck and they are the Hi/Low HID kit, if I remember correctly they are the 10K and I love them

I have HIDs in my Dodge truck and they are the Hi/Low HID kit, if I remember correctly they are the 10K and I love them

Ok, well there are no Dual filament HID bulbs

You either tilt the bulb to make it shine differently, or you bring a shade down to make it a low (shade is motorized).

10K??? What color are your bulbs? like extremely blue? My favorite is 6K

Oh shit, that's easy. Just a little bit of re-wiring at the bulbs so long as it's not a complete bitch to get to the wiring. You're local and I have a soldering iron. :)

What sort of HID kit are you using? You MUST use a proper housing, and not just the H4->HID buibs. Those fucking things blind everyone because the cut offs are all wrong. Most high-low units use a shade that moves up and down to change the cut off. Got a website or parts list of what you're going to use for this conversion? I'm curious what kind of housing/bulbs/kit you're going to use.

colors.jpg

Eh, can't say everyone on this site has good taste. 6k is classy.

You either tilt the bulb to make it shine differently, or you bring a shade down to make it a low (shade is motorized).

6k is what the Z runs. Clean, crisp white.

The outer two are already hi and lo beam just disconnect the two inner plugs... done. If yo want the two inner as fogs wire them separately to a switch.... done. If you don't butcher the wiring it can all be put back the way it was.

I was hoping it would be that easy :D Cool, I already have wiring ran to a switch that is hooked up to my current "DRLs" (cheap-o little lights that are ran through its own switch on a switched connection through the ignition (I.E how a radio is wired in to only operate if ignition is on ACCY or ON) that I could use. Probably throw a fuse in it and make sure I'm not gonna dry anything doing it. But that's perfect.

Laecaon, I don't flash people and do a lot of backroad driving. I would like some sort of brighter light. If thats not possible, I know where I can get a few aircraft landing lights ;)

More to follow after the Holidays for those who are interested.

You're going to want to run both the HIDs and fog lights through relays for best performance, minimized fire potential, and maximum efficiency.

You don't really need to run the lights to a switched source unless you really want to make sure your lights can't be left on when the truck is off. Hell, that would be a good idea for my mom actually. She's always leaving her headlights on because the warning buzzer died.

Anything above about 6K produces less visible light that our eye can 'see'. White is it. Higher produces all those trendy blue/ pink colors, below is yellow-ish.

• Like 1

Anything above about 6K produces less visible light that our eye can 'see'. White is it. Higher produces all those trendy blue/ pink colors, below is yellow-ish.

I was helping a friend fight a traffic ticket and I recognized one of the people there as this punk ass with a gaudy civic who runs 15k hids in stock housings. The single most annoying fucking car I've come across ever. The drive is also a 100% Grade A Douchecrust who likes to slap women around.

We went up, argued, read the exact law to the judge, won, and as we were leaving, Herpes How-ya-do got called up.

"Hey, lets hang for a minute."

Dipshit was in for, big surprise, his headlights. The judge knew him apparently from him coming in for running the wrong color blinkers. He's telling the judge that, since they sold the headlights in stores, he didn't realize they were illegal and that he's changed them back last weekend, see look at the camera phone picture.

The judge was reluctantly buying it when it dawned on me I'd seen this faprack's car early that morning and they were still purple and better yet, his car was parked right outside.

I stood up.

"You're honor, if I might inject."

"Didn't I just dismiss your case?"

"Actually my friend's sir. The defendant is lying to you sir."

Oh the room got cold... all except for the smoldering rage and disbelief coming from the assberry.

"I saw his car this morning and it still has the purple headlights. His car is parked outside by the meters if you want to see it for yourself."

Oooh, Icy Hot!

The judge, jackass, and a cop all went outside to see it. The judge came back, the cop and punkass didn't.

Perjury is a felony right?

Now normally I would have never thrown another man under the bus like that, but when you like slapping women around as a cure for your impotence, then I throw buses at you!

• Like 3

Firstly : Hardwyre, you are cold as ice. That being said, in my constant battle against all things smacking of douchebaggery, I would have rolled that fucker under the bus just the same, especially if he treats women that way...

Now onto the subject of HID lighting.

I retrofitted my first set of factory hid lights out of a cadillac back in 2002 into my dodge car, and have been huge proponent of this technology ever since.

There are a few truths to be known about this, and just as many myths and flat out lies. Truth: hid kits, ebay or otherwise, are pretty universal in quality. Cheap price doesn't necessarily mean cheaply built. I have mismatched brands in many of my cars/trucks and have had very few problems with them, and most of the ones I have had were due to "engrish", the poor interpretation of how the wiring is supposed to be hooked up from the chinese manufacturer.

Generally speaking, factory halogen housings don't lend themselves well to retrofitting hid's into. This isn't always true, as the headlights in my dodge stratus (1st gen) are the exception to the rule, and are amazingly well designed for the use of hids.

In the context of a datsun, with 5.75 round headlights, the options are pretty limited. The only way to effectively retrofit hid lights into a 4 headlight datsun is by using the clear h-4 housings, from ebay or otherwise. I have hids in my 620, both high and low. On low, I have the diffuser that came with the retrofit housing intact, with the diffuser that came on the h4 bulb removed. High beams have all diffusers removed for maximum light output. On my low beams I can see a definite termination of the beam (ie I can see a distinct line at the top of the hotspot where the diffuser does its job and keeps the radical intensity of the light from blinding oncoming drivers)

That being said, these are still plenty bright, but I do not get flashed (using 6k color) and have more than enough light output. I think modifying them any further or using a completely ridiculous color is counter productive and you deserve whatever retaliation you get from other drivers or law enforecement.

The "projector" round housings are a fucking joke. They are not parabolic, they are not big enough or deep enough to actually project the beam, have no definite termination and are made of the absolute cheapest materials. Do not waste your time or money on these. (I am not including the bmw ellipsoids in this, speaking strictly aftermarket)

The other problem with the idea of using hids on just the outer lights for the hi low function, which was touched on above, is the fact of how hid kits achieve hi/low function. The h4 halogen bulb has 2 filaments, the hid stays the same intensity, but by using a magnetic swing, the bulb is tilted within the housing, thereby moving the hotspot of the bulb, in conjunction with the diffuser, to project the beam up higher......these work well and I have used them with great success, but not with the round conversions....there is just simply not enough room within the diffuser for the bulb to tilt without hitting the diffuser, which leads to people removing the diffuser, which leads to the aforementioned douchebaggery of out of control hid lights.

Always use relays. Use a lower kelvin color, keep diffusers intact. If you don't prepare to be scorned by law enforcement officers and treated with disdain by other drivers, usually in the form of being bright lighted often.

The judge, jackass, and a cop all went outside to see it. The judge came back, the cop and punkass didn't.

Perjury is a felony right?

Now normally I would have never thrown another man under the bus like that, but when you like slapping women around as a cure for your impotence, then I throw buses at you!

You.................... are such a cunt!

....:lol:

• Like 1
The outer two are already hi and lo beam just disconnect the two inner plugs... done.

Except that your High Beams will not be very bright if you do this. They rely on the inners for more than 1/3 the light.

Round 4-light systems

outer-high is 60 watt/side

inner is 35 watt/side

Except that your High Beams will not be very bright if you do this. They rely on the inners for more than 1/3 the light.

Round 4-light systems

outer-high is 60 watt/side

inner is 35 watt/side

What about for square, like the OP has...