turn signal/headlight flickering

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

Here's one for the electrical expert out there. Every time I put on my turn signal with headlights on, and complete the turn to the point where the signal stops, my headlights will flicker and dim for just a second and then go back to their original power. What causes this?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, this is a oldy but a goody...

Your pulling 50 amps with the lights on and maybe 30 amps for the blinkers and your alternator is maybe 50 amps peak output...

The fix? Slodat's Saturn Solution :cool:

90's Saturn AC Delco alternator, v-belt drive pully for the alternator, a 280z coolant inlet, a belt one size smaller than the part number in the pic and a $2 turnbuckle from Lowes....

620saturnalt.jpg

Thanks again Slo :D

First off, check all your grounds. Any shorts in the system are usually caused by bad grounds. I found that my '76 didn't even have a ground from the engine to the body, body to frame either. All it had was a ground from the batt to the engine. You gotta remember that this is 30 year old technology here, it wasn't that great to begin with! Also, if you're using the stock alternator still, every little bit of efficiency in the system helps. Make sure all your light grounds are clean and in good condition. Sounds to me like your system is being drawn down too much having the turn signal on and the headlights on at the same time. You're not noticing the draw change until the turn signal switch turns off. Check all your wiring going to the flasher also.

There is one other thing. Once you have the headlights on your hi/low beams are selected with the ... turn signal lever. There is also a flash hi beams with headlights off by pulling the lever toward you. All these functions work even if you are making a turn. Maybe when the turn signal lever returns it momentarily causes a bad connection for the headlights. Just loose or worn connection.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DatsuNoob
2eDeYe;5525']Ok' date=' this is a oldy but a goody...

Your pulling 50 amps with the lights on and maybe 30 amps for the blinkers and your alternator is maybe 50 amps peak output...

The fix? Slodat's Saturn Solution :cool:

90's Saturn AC Delco alternator, v-belt drive pully for the alternator, a 280z coolant inlet, a belt one size smaller than the part number in the pic and a $2 turnbuckle from Lowes....

[img']http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e184/stepfor/620saturnalt.jpg[/img]

Thanks again Slo :D

okay, so will any 90's Saturn alternator work? I've seen a few Saturns at Pull-A-Part and was wondering which one to pull. Was wondering if there was a particular year I needed. They're kind of a bitch too since they're in the back behind the motor and you almost have to do it from the pass side wheel well, so I didn't wanna get the wrong one. Thanks

wouldn't it be easier to go to (Pick one) schucks, kragen, pep boys, napa et al and just buy the Saturn altenator rebuilt?...pick a part altenators are good? maybe..bad, maybe...and of course the hassle in pulling one just to get it home and two weeks down the road, poof..oops gotta get another one...sorry but just makes more sense to me to buy it off the shelf..my 2 cents worth guys

Guest DatsuNoob

Hey Dave, I see you're an official MEMBER now;) Yeah, I'll probably get the pull a part one, and if it turns out to be shit oh well, they DO have a return policy. Not really worried about $10-$20 vs double(or more) for a brand spankin new one. Maybe we could both get 'em and ask your buddy to beef 'em up a little too so I could actually listen to music while running hi-beams, turning a corner with the blinker on, and maybe even running the windsheild wipers if it's raining. Imagine that! I dont think I could get away with doing all that with the one I got now.

The easiest way to pull it from the Saturn is from underneath. Took me about 5 minutes to pull mine. I was out the door for less than $30 including the z-car coolant inlet and a v-groove pulley.

I got mine off of a 91, I believe...also nice upgrade for this alternator is to pick up a 145 amp regulator from a 78 Cadillac Eldorado. I run the Caddy alternator in my CJ and it uses the same style regulator as the Saturn one in my Datsun...

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=NIE&MfrPartNumber=DR152C&PartType=204&PTSet=A

redeye

I would to know the exact yr saturn so I can just go to Napa.

I dont want to deal with the pulley. I would want a V belt pully already installed.

Also what you have to do to make the light go out?

Just do the 510 jumpers as per the Dime quarterly? But I know that is for the IR Datsun alternator with the T connector in back.

This is more just a one wire to batt/starter.

So how the Ign light goes out????

Ok so Im asking for the yr? So I dont have to use the Serpintine Belt pulley

I don't think you can get one with the v-belt pulley...the pulley is simple to swap though. Years that I know are 1991 to 1995, but newer ones may use the same alternator.

They are standard Delco wiring, you might be able to translate the 510 IR to the Delco IR setup...