"Lil' Bastard" 74 620

Juicebox

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the lack of replies everyone, I have been keeping myself busy this weekend. I picked up a new camshaft, rockers, a timing sprocket, some mudflaps, and a side mirror. I still need a pulley, the oil slinger behind it, and the crankshaft key to get this beast running. Any help is appreciated.

PCC Sylvania. I would love a little help getting this done. I don't have too much internal engine experience so a lot of this is "new" to me.

I went to Sylvania for Automotive Tech :D

I have your oil slinger, pully and crank key in my hand. Hard to type while holding Datto parts. Come get 'em!

Not yet. I've been pulling overtime at work to get stuff together for the holidays. I broke a bolt off in the engine block today putting on the part between the camshaft and the timing sprocket. Gotta get that out and then set the timing and put everything back together. Thanks for all the parts again!

I threw the slinger out the door onto the ground outside of my garage, with a tag zip-tied to it saying " Dundee Oregon " but the postman must not have seen it ,,, because it`s still there..wink.gif

Shoulda waited til he stopped in and hit him with it. :lol:

So this is the bolt that broke off in the thingamajig that holds the camshaft in place

2011-12-272032242.jpg

So I began to wonder how necessary is this part on the camshaft that goes between it and the timing chain sprocket.

This part here

2011-12-272032491.jpg

Connecting to this part here

2011-12-27203301.jpg

It would be amazing if it wasn't necessary, but I'm willing to bet it is I will probably pick up another one tomorrow from pick and pull.

LOLz, the peice the bolt is snapped off in is called a cam tower. The peice that the bolt holds in place retains the cam in the towers. Say you wanna pull the cam, you'd take that retainer off, and slide the cam out the front off the head. So... as far as necessary goes, I'd give it aboot a 9 of 10. Have you tried using a punch to get that bolt out? Or perhaps an "easy out"?