"Lil' Bastard" 74 620

Juicebox

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First..... never remove the cam towers. Avoid at all costs. They are align bored and 'probably' will go back in the same place. That said, this one will likely be easier to work on if it's out. Clamp carefully in a vice. Aluminum and steel tend to lock together, something about dissimilar metals. Tighten to 10 lbs and it takes 12 to loosen them, shrug. Aluminum expands twice as much as steel when heated. If you can get vice grips on that nub, do so. Heat the aluminum around it till smoking hot and try twisting it out. Looks like you'll get exactly one try at it so get the metal HOT.

Failing that you'll have to pick up one from a scrap motor. Might as well get all four. But try the front one first and try to spin the cam installed. It should easily spin by hand. If so that's all you need. If not try swapping all 4 of them.

Guest kamakazi620

I've got it all back together but I can't get her to fire up. I'm worried about wiring in the alternator as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What about wiring the Alt????

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry i haven't posted in a while, been busy moving and starting another term again at the same time and I have been really busy. A really shitty bit is that my datsun is in Dundee and I now live in Beaverton. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my Datsun to it's new home in a nice and warm garage. Don't really got the spare money to have it towed right now but, it needs to get moved soon.

It indeed does. I'm just worried that I didn't have the engine at TDC.

Was the crank gear mark on the driver's side? Did you align the other bright link w/ the #2 marking on the cam gear? With the 2 bright links being aligned properly, that means the cam is in proper relationship w/ the crank.

• 5 weeks later...

Alright I feel awful about letting this Datsun sit for so long and I apologize to everyone for it. I'm willing to get a six pack for whoever helps me get it going. I'm gonna try to put all the money I can into get this together, I rather pay for parts and beer then spending money to have it trailered over here. I miss it so much. I might need a new wiring harness but I'm hoping I just need to have a new voltage regulator. I'm working a lot but if you message me I'll let you know when I'm off.

• 2 months later...

Well today I cleaned up my ratty datsun, I spent the whole afternoon cleaning, waxing, and shining. I post oics in the morning when the light is better. I started working on the interior while I wait for my next paycheck. Going to be ordering a new timing chain, and looking for new toys for my baby.

So here is the new oics I promised.

2012-04-171451001.jpg

Here it is in it's new garage. No longer out in the cold!

2012-04-17145159.jpg

My tools all scattered and unorganized after the move.

2012-04-17145138.jpg

My other hobby is mopeds and I had a group of Puddlecutters come through and give me this as a tip at work.

2012-04-17145116.jpg

Working on covering my seat with a mexican blanket I've had forever.

2012-04-17145242.jpg

Here's the regulator that's been cut out for some reason.

I'll take more pictures later.