"Lil' Bastard" 74 620

Juicebox

So I was hunting around for a Datsun pickup after helping a friend swap an engine into his and really admiring all the little details about Datsuns. I found a 620 for a reasonable price but, I could never get the seller to reply to my messages and he didn't leave much contact information. Then on a whim, about a week later, I email him late at night and get a response 15 minutes later saying I can come look at it tomorrow if I like. So I head over to SE Portland and take a look at this thing, it looks a lot better then it did in the pictures and I decided I was going to buy it but, I wasn't going to let him know that. I get home make sure I have the money and give him a call two excruciating days later. I drive over there with a trailer and tow it home with the help of some friends, pushed it into my driveway and now it sits, waiting for that new timing chain tensioner to come in so that it can be driven again. I don't have too many plans for it right now other then getting most things operational again. I pulled the knob for the lights out and now I can't get them to turn on. You have all waited patiently enough, now time for oics!

391080_2768356685699_1161392202_33101791_2032959584_n.jpg

387234_2768362285839_1161392202_33101798_1083871425_n.jpg

382913_2768368645998_1161392202_33101809_200237024_n.jpg

376160_2768376926205_1161392202_33101821_368855775_n.jpg

377528_2768385726425_1161392202_33101838_400760191_n.jpg

393498_2768381006307_1161392202_33101827_1756136787_n.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly if you have motor apart enough to replace tensioner you should always replace chain also, especially since it`s a " new to you " rig ....... Rock auto has your parts

Saw this truck on the list , and thought about it myself .. good score , keep us updated.

I really like this truck. It would be in my driveway had it been closer. You got a good deal. You dont have to change the timing chain. If you have the funds & want to have piece of mind you should get a new timing set. (comes with the tensioner)

The original plan was to put on a whole new timing kit but, as always, something came up so I don't have the funds for a whole new timing kit. Got the tensioner today and want to get it running by this sunday. We will see though since this is the week before finals.

Nice, another yellow 620 in Dundee. :D Thats the third yellow 620 that i know of in the Newberg/Dundee area. Tyler has the yellow K/C.

Where are you going to school? Next week is finals week for me too.

Let me know if you need a hand, I've played with a few L motors.

Nice, another yellow 620 in Dundee. :D Thats the third yellow 620 that i know of in the Newberg/Dundee area. Tyler has the yellow K/C.

Where are you going to school? Next week is finals week for me too.

Let me know if you need a hand, I've played with a few L motors.

Dont let hin help you. Hes a VG man now :P

Guest kamakazi620

Got two grills with it, a slider window, the original carb (which was replaced with a weber), and some little tidbit here and there.

Your seat/doorpanels are CHERRY!!!!!!!! I'm glad you got an Ex ratsuners truck!

I have watched that video several times it would just be nice to have someone with a bit more experience with these engines to give me a little advice in the process. Does anyone know if there is a build thread or original post for this truck? Links please!

Be careful when you remove the timing cover, there is one bolt that is commonly missed and people break the timing cover because of the missed bolt. I believe it is one of the two that go down from the head into the top of the cover. Also, one of the water pump bolt goes all the way through the timing cover into the engine

And feel free to let me know if you want a hand getting the timing chain setup correctly.

Hey yello620 if you wanna come over to help me in tomorrow that would be awesome. I have to go the dentist at like 10 but I should be home before noon. I got a lot of it taken off already. Just send me a message if you can and I'll pm you my phone number and address.

Well I got a list of things I need to go pick up at pick and pull tomorrow morning. A lot of help from yello620 and that truck is more fun to see what he's done in real life then it'll ever be on the internet. I'm gonna try to get this truck together enough so I can drive to my final on Tuesday. Man does that make me nervous to actually read that. I'm going to get it done anyways. Once again, thanks again yello620.