"Lil' Bastard" 74 620

Juicebox

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the funds, I'd just swap over to a Saturn alternator and eliminate the voltage regulator all together. Then you wouldn't really have to worry about the wiring, just have to jump over the correct wires and you're done.

Gobs of info on that swap here on the site.

You will have to get a wiring diagram for your truck though, as not all wiring is the same in Datsuns. A FSM would suffice, and I'm sure somebody here on Ratsun has one they can take a picture of for ya. It's easy and a good learning experience if you're not used to wiring.

But that alternator swap was on the top of my list of best mods ever. At least consider it!

Wiring is easy! Again, let me at it!

Olddatsuns.com has FSMs for many models, 620 especially.

Cant cut out the voltage regulator unless you get an internally regulated one. My vote would be the KA24 alt as it bolts up (there are many writeups for all the alternator choices).

Until then, just run wire extensions, and make your own plug for the regulator.

• 2 weeks later...

Well tore into the truck again tonight. Got it all tore down to do the timing and got at what I think is top dead center. I used the screwdriver in the number 1 sparkplug hole trick. I had to quit early to keep my back from hurting too much. I'll take pictures maybe later tonight or tomorrow.

make sure you tape the end of the screw driver, don't wanna scratch your piston up. And how do you know you're at TDC compression? Stuff a piece of tissue in the plug hole, and rotate the crank. On the compression stroke, it will blow the tissue out, and then you can feel for TDC.

• 3 months later...

So I ran into EagleAdam in traffic today and we ran over to his house and he threw me a timing chain. I got that thrown on but, I had to leave for work before I got everyting all finished up. I need to easy out a bolt in the alternator mount, attach all that wiring back together, then see if she'll fire up. It feels like it might need a new clutch, sometimes when I put the clutch to the floor it doesn't feel like it's doing anything. There doesn't seem to be any resistence like it normally has. Hoping to maybe get a shot at finishing it tonight when I get off work or tomorrow before I head to work. Money's tight since I got laid off and I am just now starting to catch up with all my bills. Wish I could have made it to the meet at the Newberg Drive in meet. Those were my old stomping grounds when I was a kid. Thanks again EagleAdam for that timing chain!

• 3 months later...

Man I when I look back at this thread it reminds me how little time I work on the truck. Last night I got some spare time and motivation to work on the truck and ran a compression test on it. I got readings of 10 or less. Time to start looking for a new compression gauge. Gonna run compression test on it again tonight, hoping to get some good numbers. If not, it's time for that rebuild.