v8 510 rear diff isues

89rodknocker

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

motivator1789543.jpg

In Chevy parlance, an R-200 is equal (in size) to a 7.88 inch rear end and 300+ ft lb torque. This is over kill as the tires will never apply that much to the pavement. They become the limiting factor and in effect are like a fuse protecting a circuit.

I don't think that rear-end is going to have too much trouble handling the power of that 350. Thats an early-mid90's TBI 350feom the looks of it. Really interesting how it has the drivers header turned backwards. I'd say thats out of an early 90's caprice/truck/van. They went to the 4L60E in like 94.

"I got it with the idea of pulling the motor and all the computer stuff, get it back to the basics. may have burned myself out on it"

5O55W15R23k43o23l5bbndfe07606fae31719.jpg

I can't possibly see how he would ever be able to return this to 'the basics'. This is almost mid engine. No fire wall, no heater, do the wipers even work? Looks like stock struts so what brake up grade has been done to this rocket ship? Was anything done? Scary if not.

This one has been up on CL for a while. Honestly I would stay away... I keep reading about how the whole swap was done in a very ghetto manner. blink.gif Not sure why people like to stuff V8s in 510s anyway.. you can make just as much power easily with a turbo 4 cylinder. The 4 cyl will fit better, handle better and let you use a heater and wipers....

• 3 months later...

This one has been up on CL for a while. Honestly I would stay away... I keep reading about how the whole swap was done in a very ghetto manner. blink.gif Not sure why people like to stuff V8s in 510s anyway.. you can make just as much power easily with a turbo 4 cylinder. The 4 cyl will fit better, handle better and let you use a heater and wipers....

People like me dont want to be just another 4 cylinder datsun we want to have a datsun that stands out in a crowd haha. Its not your datsun to worry about any way.

To original poster ... yes r200 is good enough, but you will want to upgrade your Cv shafts to 280zx or shortened 3300zx axle shafts.Modernmotorsports sells chrome moly axle shaft hub adapters ... these are also shortened to prevent binding of axle shafts, but since you have a 510 ... i am sure you can shorten your axles.stub shafts can break as well and could need an upgrade ( if you have them haha) . You can convert your r200 to Lsd ... an "open" r200 will be subjected to Abuse , and fiscal " one wheel peeler " ... an Lsd will give you more control , and much longer rear end life.

Axle swamps! ? ... if you can use a tape measurer and weld ... then you can custom swap your own axle in ... i am using a ford 8.8" disc brake Lsd rear axle 4-link swap into my 240z ... why! ? ... its cheaper for me in some regards, but i trade off handling and have a stiffer ride haha. I have a sbc 350 + 4-spd + 8.8" Lsd ford axle. But one isn't neccessarily better than the other, ,,,, different strokes for different folks ...,, its all about trade offset! ... there are guys on here that like the toyota 8" Lsd axles as well! ...

Uber Deaf One ...good warning and looking out if its a shitty swap! ...

Another note is that its not your car ... one could reverse the question , but it is pointless ....the battle is endless between the two so let it die ... please ... Thankyou

TipTricky ... yup ... i have a sbc 240z project ...

People forget the components around Irs diff's are more likely to give than the rear end itself ... open or Lsd ... with little traction ... and a light car ... your trans and diff could last longer for sure! If no real beating on it haha ;-)