71 510 fj20 build

jdmdime

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

find all the rhd parts and ill rhd the 510 for that sr :cool: i wouldn't do it but the 180 might be worth more fixed up. might have enough to do a down payment on a coupe

so your saying youll do a rhd conversion for 3k? Labor only? 0_o seems steep...

Brand new gt28rs .86ar, cirquit sport lines, greddy manifold, nismo 550s, greddy pulleys, fidanza flywheel, exedy stage 1, n62 maf, b&m short shifter. All parts new $_$

Im heading out to see the 180sx tomorrow morning. Ill post more oics

How much do you think you can get for your 510? id say if you want a 180/240 just sell your dime and buy a 180/240 and build it. How much you think the 180sx could be sold for?

Im not sure. Its hard to put a price. You dont see many fj'd 510s I dont know how much they go for. Hes asking 6k cash for his car

• 3 weeks later...

The holidays have really slowed me down... I picked up a set of s13 megan track coilovers. Im in the process of modifying them so they can nearly lay frame (not gonna daily it that way).

Im running a set of Megan street coilovers front and rear in my car. Im running a bottom section of S12 struts with the megan's that way my Z32 clipers bolt on

Im running a set of Megan street coilovers front and rear in my car. Im running a bottom section of S12 struts with the megan's that way my Z32 clipers bolt on

Sounds good. How low can you go with your setup? Ive herd you cant go too low but I measured things up and with a few mods, I can make it sit lower than it is now if I wanted to...

Sounds good. How low can you go with your setup? Ive herd you cant go too low but I measured things up and with a few mods, I can make it sit lower than it is now if I wanted to...

cant go low?? have you seen sinnfuls car?? :lol:

its pretty low, but I had to raise it up an inch because the tire was dug into the spring. Im running 16x7 +20 rims and 205/40R16 tires. the only way I could keep it lower is too get some 5" or 6" springs but already at full turn my tires rub the fiberglass fenders which I consider "auto" clearancing haha

I havent measured the crossmember or anything, I just raised it up until the tire wasn't rubbing anymore.

So are you running the 280ZX struts then? if so I'm not sure where to cut on those tubes, I only left about 5/8" of the tube and then lathed out the bottom of the coilover tube and botoomed out the coilover tube onto the strut tube

heres a picture of my car

IMG_20110501_1324021-1.jpg

its pretty low, but I had to raise it up an inch because the tire was dug into the spring. Im running 16x7 +20 rims and 205/40R16 tires. the only way I could keep it lower is too get some 5" or 6" springs but already at full turn my tires rub the fiberglass fenders which I consider "auto" clearancing hahaI havent measured the crossmember or anything, I just raised it up until the tire wasn't rubbing anymore.So are you running the 280ZX struts then? if so I'm not sure where to cut on those tubes, I only left about 5/8" of the tube and then lathed out the bottom of the coilover tube and botoomed out the coilover tube onto the strut tubeheres a picture of my carIMG_20110501_1324021-1.jpg

Hmm Its hard to tell if my car is as low as yours. I dont have flairs. Im running 14x7 -19 up front and -9 in the rear. On 185/55 tires. Im sure I can get the front real low but the rear seems like im gonna have to shorten the bottom part of the coilover (the part of the coilover that bolts onto the lower control arm) because it doesnt let the shock go all the way down. It seems to be stepped about 2 inches at the bottom. I was thinking of getting 6” 2 1/2 id 8k springs all around, shortening the bottom 2” portion of the rear coilover and doing exactly what you did to the fronts (except on 280zx struts) hopefully it all works out.

yes you are correct I cut out like 3" of the rear tube and rewelded it. and as far as I know you might want to get different springs anyways because the track series uses stiffer springs than teh street series.

on mine if I remember correctly the rear uses 8" springs and then the front is 7" or 6" I dont remember, I think Ground Control is the only spring I found in a 5" spring and they only offer one of them. but like I said for my car I don't think my tire would clear the fender at all if I drop down that far. but then I would have to MAJOR rework in teh rear to lower the car to somewhat match the front.

yes you are correct I cut out like 3" of the rear tube and rewelded it. and as far as I know you might want to get different springs anyways because the track series uses stiffer springs than teh street series.on mine if I remember correctly the rear uses 8" springs and then the front is 7" or 6" I dont remember, I think Ground Control is the only spring I found in a 5" spring and they only offer one of them. but like I said for my car I don't think my tire would clear the fender at all if I drop down that far. but then I would have to MAJOR rework in teh rear to lower the car to somewhat match the front.

I figured I had to do that to the rear. Is it aluminum or some sort of stainless steel? And yeah the spring rates on the track series are 12k front and 10k rear. And your right on the legths... 7” front and 8” rear. One last question, did you have enough adjustment in the shock body to lower the car enough and keep the spring preloaded or is the spring loose now? Thanx for reassuring my findings...