Battery opinions?

Not a datsun question. My 2005 silverado hd with the 8.1 engine is due for a new battery.

I live in an area where it can get 20 to 40 below zero in winter. would an optima battery be worth almost duble the price of a regualr battery? this truck is my main way to get around when the snow gets real deep. the factory battery is still good but it will be 7 years old. I want to avoid any issues when it gets nasty out.

i can afford both batteries so should i sping for an optima?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a datsun question. My 2005 silverado hd with the 8.1 engine is due for a new battery.

I live in an area where it can get 20 to 40 below zero in winter. would an optima battery be worth almost duble the price of a regualr battery? this truck is my main way to get around when the snow gets real deep. the factory battery is still good but it will be 7 years old. I want to avoid any issues when it gets nasty out.

i can afford both batteries so should i sping for an optima?

Feel your pain! When I lived in the area, I installed an external engine block tank heater, 300 watts, and located the body of the heater directly below my battery. It worked by convection to keep the battery warm but I had the advantage of an enclosed parking spot out of the direct wind. To be double safe, wire a battery "electric blanket" in parallel with an external or headbolt type block heater. VW type oil pan heaters don't seem to me to be worth the money.

Well I have had two Optima batteries both failed. And that's in So Cal were if it was 40 below we all would die.

Just get yourself a good battery and you should be fine. If the one you have lasted 7 years I would go grab one of them.

Actually, for your truck I THINKG (double check because I'm not 100%) you'll see a benefit out of one of Autozone's Duralast Marine 27 series batteries. Has a superb rating, and I've only ever warrantied ONE out.

Fail.... nvm, your truck is sidepost 78 series isn't it?

I've had an optima red in my 240 for 8 years, no problems, bought it after I had to replace a diehard 3 times in one year. Car is parked outside in a driveway, with windchill we see 0 to 20 below regularly.

Keep in mind, batteries have changed a lot from when you guys bought them 8-11 years ago.

Stuffs not made to last anymore.

I replaced 4 interstate batteries today at work in the 8 hours I was there. We had done 7 total. (not to say they're bad batteries, just something to consider)

I have had real good luck with interstate batteries, the one in my buick is 11 years old and still works. so i may just get one for my truck, it is still running the factory batt

Stuffs not made to last anymore.

I replaced 4 interstate batteries today at work in the 8 hours I was there. We had done 7 total. (not to say they're bad batteries, just something to consider)

I've had a string of bad luck with Optimas myself, and have recently switched over to interstate. From what I can tell, the Optima is more forgiving on constant abuse, but doesn't like to be in a car that sits for any period of time. The interstates 'seem' to be a bit more stable, but not as good at taking abuse.

I had issues with two Optima red tops but then I picked up a blue top and had 0 issues with it for the 4 years I had it in the car. Once the red tops drain out they are toast and wont recharge for shit.

The problem is that people thing "Optima = Deep Cycle". They're not. Only the Yellow and Blue are. Red is just a cranking battery, and like all cranking batteries, if you let it drain too much too often too long, it's fucked just like any other.

The yellow top is the deep cycle, and while it's not the best for cranking, it can be used for such. But it's primarily meant as a deep cycle.

Blues, they're sort of a hybrid.

Personally I can't wait for lithium ion batteries to come way down in price. :)